Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: The craziness is underway in Cape Town

Postby Toby » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:45 pm

Got news for ya: you will get old too.
And if you rip so hard, then your knee will get busted for sure too, and if not, you don’t rip hard enough though.

The middle aged and old men are still kiting, will you be able to in the future?

And actually, wakeboarders are hardcore, you chose a pussy sport...so go there and be with your kind. Our sport wants nice people who respect other styles and age.
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
dragnfly (Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:16 pm)
Rating: 10%

Kozzie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: brighton
Style: freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kozzie » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:52 am

Im old and my shoulder went before my knee did

You should be all over my 8 line foil kite like a powerful moss hugging it for sustinence like a powerful moss to point your inseperable. Imagine doing a jump toby but not having to come down.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 7, 9, and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12, Best Bularoo 16
Long Ocean 136 and 138, Cyclone 136, Airrush Master 139, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide foil and Converter board

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:01 pm

Today a strong NWesterly was forecast with big 4.4m waves, and it all came true. I rode 7m and TT up at Kite Beach on Bloubergstrand along with about 20 others, then decided to do a downwinder to Milnerton lighthouse where I have a flat. Lots of respect for the few riders out there on directionals, especially one between Dolphin Beach and Sunset Beach I think riding strapless. I was fully committed jumping over some of those waves going out, and riding back in had to really concentrate not to catch a front edge, because to fall in front of one of those monsters would be serious trouble. By the end of Sunset Beach the wind was too onshore for me to be able to jump over the big breaking waves outside, so I played inside for the rest of the trip. Just need waves that big on a SEaster and I would be willing to make some big jumps off them. Too risky today as jumping on starboard is my weak side, largely because of a left knee injury snowboarding 15 years ago. Maybe Kossie would just float over them all, but I turned 64 today, so I'm just delighted to still be able to have a session like that.
These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post:
ELI (Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:26 pm)

ELI
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Postby ELI » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:26 pm

Hugh2 , Thx. for update . Will be there 2nd week of January .Looking forward to more updates.

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:05 pm

Kozzie wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:21 pm
So my question to the horde of midlife crisis's is this... If your so afraid to unhook or throw down and you think big jumps is where its at.... Why dont you grab a foil kite on 10m lines kite near a cliff do a jump and see where it takes you?

Why only sink on a 4 line inflatable kite when you could climb on a 8 line foil kite on short lines?
Mr Midlife here. No intention of unhooking; nothing to prove. Support each to their own.

Peace out baldy lol... (just joshing)

TheFacts
Rare Poster
Gear: Duotone, Airush, Ikon
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby TheFacts » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:20 am

Kozzie wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:21 pm
So my question to the horde of midlife crisis's is this... If your so afraid to unhook or throw down and you think big jumps is where its at.... Why dont you grab a foil kite on 10m lines kite near a cliff do a jump and see where it takes you?

Good to see "Causehecan" is still alive and well with all his "you are not a real kiter unless you unhook" etc.

Kozzie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: brighton
Style: freestyle

Postby Kozzie » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:35 pm

Check my account details matey im the original

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 7, 9, and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12, Best Bularoo 16
Long Ocean 136 and 138, Cyclone 136, Airrush Master 139, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide foil and Converter board

Postby Hugh2 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:14 pm

Well it seems I missed out on a wild time at Hermanus yesterday, word is it got really windy to 40 knots out of the west, but also rather crowded. Frankly I don't like the lagoon there much, but have enjoyed watching the hotshots do megaloops in the past. I prefer the oceanside.

Today was SW all morning in Cape Town with a hint in the forecast it might turn SE late, so I stuck around and was rewarded with a lovely late session at Dolphin Beach. Some folk had been riding there in the SW, but you can only plod back and forth along the shore with that on-shore direction. I pumped up my 2018 9m Naish Pivot, and it was just right. The waves were wacky to begin with, outgoing tide giving double-stacked waves that would bounce you around, especially on strapless directional. Not a lot of kiters out, maybe folk went to Hermanus again. Earlier I met a local, Grant Compton, who regularly rides a large kite and does Toby-style tricks, and he rode a 17m Ozone! Late in the day just before sunset the wind filled in nicely and the waves sorted themselves out at low tide, and with almost noone else out I had a great final session on TT with big jumps off the waves outside, which were still coming through in some 3m sets. Sunset drive back to Milnerton revealed the thousands of flamingoes in Riet Vlei lit up by the setting sun, very nice. Tomorrow promises a classic SEaster, but late in the day, so I may go to Witsand around noon first.
These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post (total 2):
Kozzie (Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:33 am) • Peter_Frank (Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:53 pm)
Rating: 20%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:56 pm

If SW'erly and onshore down in CT (pretty rare, but it happens yes), it is just awesome on a hydrofoil in the waves - here you can ride in pretty much onshore conditions and have fun :thumb:

I dont like riding waveboards when more than 45 degrees onshore, but on a foil the game changes completely, because of new angles on the wave.

In side or semisideshore a waveboard is top dollar, no doubt, but when more onshore it sucks (IMO), only boosting on a TT is still fun if not foiling :roll:

8) Peter

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:22 pm

Agreed, Peter, but I'm not yet good enough on a foil to tackle Cape Town conditions, at least what we had this week wave-wise, not to mention my foil is in Illinois!

Today was a pretty classic SEaster, starting out SW early, then turning S around lunchtime, and finally SE and filling in nicely. I rode a 9m Pivot at Kite Beach with local friend David and his buddy Jason, with lots of good jumps, especially early on when it was not crowded. Later when it got crowded I made a mistake and jumped when behind a beginner heading out, who turned back as I launched and our kites crossed. I managed to keep my kite flying and work my way over his lines, but he could not relaunch and drifted into the beach. My apologies to him if he reads this, I should stay further away from beginners.

Speaking of which, I chatted with a young German couple and encouraged them to get out early before it got crowded and strong. The woman was struggling a little with the waves on a 7m Core, but later I saw her riding nicely on a 5m, so congrats to her for sticking to it.

Unfortunately we also had a nasty interaction between two guys who tangled kites upwind of Kite Beach (I did not see it happen, so don't have an opinion about who might have been at "fault"), but by the time they got the kites to the beach they were near blows and my attempts to calm things down did not work.

After packing up I drove north a little and was rewarded with a little pre-KOTA action from Lasse Walker and Kevin Langaree and friends. Kevin of course on a 10m 2020 Pivot and Lasse on a white prototype Duotone.

The next three days are westerlies, yet again, so I guess Peter will be out foiling (stay safe with the waves this big), and many others will go to Hermanus, or ride any NW at Witsand or Platboom to the south, or Melkbosstrand to the north, but I will go hiking instead. Then a string of strong SEasterly days are forecast for the end-of-the-year weekend, which should be fun.

For those who don't know, there are two very useful wind meters for judging when things are lighting up, if you don't have a view of the ocean like I fortunately do. One is a meter at the Milnerton Aquatic Club on Rietvlei, which is slightly upwind of Kite Beach, so gets the SEaster a little early, but after Sunset Beach and long after Milnerton - http://mac-wind.appspot.com/?show=15min. The other is the meter maintained by the Board and Kite Africa shop at Kite Beach, available through Windguru at https://www.windguru.cz/station/42. Both show nicely the wind switch around lunchtime today and the building SEaster, now around sunset blowing 20 with gusts to 30.
These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post:
Kozzie (Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:50 am)

Return to “Kitesurfing”