The craziness is underway in Cape Town

Forum for kitesurfers
Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 7, 9, and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12, Best Bularoo 16
Long Ocean 136 and 138, Cyclone 136, Airrush Master 139, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide foil and Converter board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The craziness is underway in Cape Town

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:27 pm

Steady medium SWesterly this afternoon, so I went down to Sunset, Dolphin, Kite beaches and on to Doodles, but Peter foiling was nowhere to be found, nor any other foilers. Conditions seemed perfect for foiling, 13-15 and small waves. About 50 riders total from Sunset to Doodles, a few riding waves on directional, most mowing the lawn on TTs, about 1/10 of what there will be when the SEaster returns on Friday with a bang. Tomorrow calls for NW and intermittent rain, so I will do a downwinder from Kite Beach to Milnerton, trying to improve my wave riding on my favored side.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 7, 9, and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12, Best Bularoo 16
Long Ocean 136 and 138, Cyclone 136, Airrush Master 139, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide foil and Converter board

Postby Hugh2 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:26 pm

Friday 27 December delivered as forecast, indeed we have SEasters forecast for the next week. I started on 9m at Kite Beach around noon, changed to 7m for a downwinder with two local buddies, David and Jason, but bailed just beyond Big Bay as it was cranking hard, and returned to Kite Beach for a 5.5m session. Wind meter at BKA shop shows 30-37 around 5 PM when I quit. Kite beach was deserted by then, just Vegas man sans daughter doing big jumps on 8m. Afterwards went a little north to watch the pros, plus an unofficial big air competition at Mystic House, including Mike MacDonald. Always impressive to see the hotshots still riding 8 and 9m in such conditions, and going big. But a few guys lost it, including one teabagging behind a death-looping kite and another who I think got tangled in lines and ended up way downwind. Hopefully all okay.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh2 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:26 pm

Saturday 28 the forecast at Bloubergstrand was for late in the day, so instead I went to Witsand, the location of Kevin Langaree's latest vlog. It was not as windy as in that video, and I was one of the first out around noon on 9m and surfboard, then TT, then 7m and surfboard, then TT, and decided I'd had enough by 3PM when it got really gusty. No more than 10 kites out at a time, so not crowded at all. It's such a beautiful spot to kite, the only downside being no possibility of a downwinder, unless you were willing to start in the gusty conditions at Scarborough and come down, but that would require two cars or a hitchhike back. Vegas man arrived and did some impressive megaloops on 9m as I was packing up, and with so few kiters out and just 3 or 4 windsurfers, he had space for a change. I met an 11-year-old girl who kites (she landed my 7m), really impressive although not able to ride today, but her dad was out on a 7m. Hard to believe someone could look forward to at least 60 more years of kiting! Wonder what the sport will look like in 60 years?

Blackened
Medium Poster
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2018 North Rebel 15m
2018 North Evo 12/10m

Postby Blackened » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:27 pm

Awesome summaries, Hugh. Will be there in a few weeks, so this is great reading for me.

ELI
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Postby ELI » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:08 pm

Thx also , Be the in 10 days. Not familiar with info. for there, how do you decide to go to Whitsand? What forecast. ?

ELI
Medium Poster

Postby ELI » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:10 pm

I should add I looked and saw that wind was to come up late (5pm) for Bloubergstrand on windguru

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:43 pm

ELI wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:08 pm
Thx also , Be the in 10 days. Not familiar with info. for there, how do you decide to go to Whitsand? What forecast. ?

Assume you are talking about Witsand the wavespot at Mistly Cliffs, and not the Witsand at the east side, mostly flat water?

But the wind usually starts early down south, so starting at Platboom first, occasionally it never comes up to Witsand.

Normally though, it starts at Platboom and Witsands, and later it reaches CapeTown and all the surroundings, and eventually it comes up to Melkbos and Yzerfontein.

But it can also drop in almost at the same time, and very rare wind up north only.

Starting further south first is the most likely though.

Look at Table Mountain, if clouds (glacing) on the top, the wind will almost come for certain at Sunset-Dolphin-Blouberg-Big Bay-Derdesteen-Haakgat in that order in the afternoon :thumb:

8) Peter

ELI
Medium Poster

Postby ELI » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:47 am

Thx for response Peter, Looking for Moderate waves :)

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:26 am

Peter knows this place well. You can use the Spots menu on this forum to check out the various places, but Witsands is easy to find, just north of the village of Misty Cliffs (entirely private), which in turn is just north of the village of Scarborough (three nice cafes here for lunch if you don't bring something along). As you can see from Kevin Langaree's latest vlog, you park along the road above the beach and walk down. And as Peter says, if you are desperate to kite all day and Bloubergstrand is still or SW, you can start at Platboom mid-morning, move to Witsand early afternoon, and end the day at Kite Beach or anywhere along Bloubergstrand, or further north if into waves, like Haakgat. If going to Platboom, most days are not too busy, but weekends are very busy just getting into the park, so you have to get there early (plus it is a bit pricy for non-South Africans, so there will never be a crowd there). But sometimes it blows all night and into the morning, so the truly addicted will grab a morning session along Bloubergstrand, which will be deserted. But I'm too old for that, I need some recovery time each morning.

No way to guarantee moderate waves, just check the forecasts at Windguru and WindAlert. The waves here, like the wind, have a lot of power in them and when over 3m need respect, either jump over them if you are confident of your ability to do that right every single time (getting it wrong would be painful), or chicken gybe away. The only problem with the latter is if the beach is crowded you might tangle with someone heading out behind you, but mostly it will be obvious to anyone behind you that you are not comfortable and they will avoid you. If the waves are too much for you, check the forecast for Langebaan where you have two flat water choices, but it is 1.5 hour drive from Cape Town. Inbetween are a few more waves spots, like Melkbostrand and Yserfontein that Peter mentions, but again like Platboom you will have those largely to yourself. Even more adventurous types can go further north than Langebaan, like Paternoster, for waves, but I've yet to do that - I think this Langaree vlog is from there, but you need to know what you are doing and it's a long drive.

And of course for strong SW or even westerlies, head to Hermanus like two of Kevin's vlogs this season, or if completely dead at Cape Town look for the easterlies to have moved further east to Struisbaai near Cape Agulhas for waves or the other Witsand on the Breede River mouth, famous for flat water on the lagoon but the waves can also be fun, albeit onshore wind direction, or even Stillbaai further east. And if you have time, there is the rest of the coast all the way to East London and beyond. Spots is your friend for each site.

Every now and then we might get a strong NW flow, although I don't think there will be many of those after the New Year, but that works well all along Bloubergstrand and further north, as well as all the way down south at Platboom.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:47 am

Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 8.45.30 AM.png
ELI,

Indeed it often starts late at Kite Beach, and yesterday was an example, see the record above from the BKA windguru site - https://www.windguru.cz/station/42.

Obviously if you don't want to kite all day, you then have the whole morning and early afternoon to do something else and still kite enough to sleep well!

Return to “Kitesurfing”