The craziness is underway in Cape Town

Forum for kitesurfers
Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 7, 9, and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12, Best Bularoo 16
Long Ocean 136 and 138, Cyclone 136, Airrush Master 139, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide foil and Converter board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The craziness is underway in Cape Town

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:27 pm

As forecast, another strong day. I decided to go early as the waves were small and would soon be wiped out by the wind, so around 1PM launched 7m Pivot at Kite Beach and did a long downwinder on strapless surfboard. The wind was light in places and I had to wait on the beach at Doodles for a bit for it to fill in, see the graph above. By the time I got to Haakgat it was blowing hard, as almost always, so I released the kite to safety to land it. Back at Kite Beach I had another 7m session around 4PM, this time boosting on TT. Jalou Langaree and her boyfriend Roderick were out, being filmed by Lasse Walker. I've never seen Jalou on a TT before, and she was doing some good jumps on her North, I think 7m. Roderick was doing megaloops on a Peter Lynn Escape 9m with short lines. After packing up I was headed up the beach around 5PM when a woman in street clothes flying a 7m RRD Religion on the beach lost control and got launched and slammed onto the sand while the kite tomohawked. She was knocked unconscious and several kiters nearby ran to her aid, releasing her bar. Jalou grabbed her kite and Roderick landed his kite to shield her from the wind. I found another kiter with medical experience who checked her out, having recovered consciousness, and she was able to move her legs and arms, but had no recall of her accident and was confused, so we kept her as still as possible till an ambulance arrived. It appeared she and her boyfriend, also in street clothes, had no idea what they were doing. Flying a 7m on the beach without a clue in that wind was an accident waiting to happen.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 6.23.59 PM.png

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 7, 9, and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12, Best Bularoo 16
Long Ocean 136 and 138, Cyclone 136, Airrush Master 139, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide foil and Converter board

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:36 pm

And yet another strong day, indeed it blew all night and through the morning at my flat in Milnerton, only dying a little early on at Bloubergstrand. The table cloth on Table Mountain is magnificent today. I rode 7m and TT, because the waves were pretty much gone, from Milnerton lighthouse at noon to Haakgat around 3, stopping at Kite Beach for an icecream. On kite beach two guys in street clothes launched an ancient 9m Genetrix kite with equally ancient Genetrix bar. I spoke to them briefly recounting the incident from yesterday, but they thanked me for my concern and continued. They were still flying it when I resumed my downwinder, so I hope they landed it safely. Otherwise a fun run with lots of big jumps off tiny waves, and some dolphins on the section past KelpBaai. I usually see a few seals on each run, occasionally a penguin, and sometimes a sunfish or two, and rarely thousands of cormorants. Have yet to see a shark in 10 years of kiting here. It is blowing really hard now!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 4.34.24 PM.png
These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post (total 2):
Kozzie (Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:40 pm) • Badgast (Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:33 pm)
Rating: 20%

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:09 pm

This never gets old! Yet another strong day, this time with medium sized waves, so I launched 7m Pivot at Kite Beach around 12:30 and rode strapless surfboard down to Haakgat. Passed Kevin Langaree on the way, doing his trademark board-off jumps. Beyond Big Bay I shared a great couple of waves with a seal, which was repeatedly swimming out and surfing back in, magic! There were quite a few seals around near Haakgat, but only this one surfing further south. Back at Kite Beach, the wind was really filling in around 2:30, so 7m again and TT for some jumping. Remarkably few other kiters out, perhaps having to get ready for New Years Eve braais (barbecues), so no problem finding landing zones. But it was not long before I simply could not stay upwind and hold down my 7m and quit around 3:30, too tired to pump my 5.5m. It always impresses me that some others can continue to ride in these conditions, some in fact on larger kites, like Lanral Ruddock, co-owner of the BKA kiteshop on Kite Beach, sponsors of the Windguru meter shown below, who was still riding a 9m when I quit. Obviously he is younger, stronger, and more skilled than me, but I just don't see how he can hold such a big kite when I am struggling to ride with a near completely depowered 7m. I would literally be lofted and dragged downwind on a 9m in 30 knots with gusts approaching 40.

Edit - Kevin's latest Kevlog shows just what he can do with these conditions. He often rides his final session late in the day when the crowds have thinned out. I love the way a guy on the beach just sits down at 1:05 to watch, that's how most of us react to his jumps!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 5.57.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 5.57.26 PM.png (99.2 KiB) Viewed 714 times
These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post (total 4):
Matt_TYRCZ (Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:32 am) • Eduardo (Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:51 am) • a99 (Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:21 pm) • markymarc (Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:42 pm)
Rating: 40%

Matt_TYRCZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Virginia Beach , VA
Favorite Beaches: First Landing State Park, OBX
Style: booting, kiteloop, freestyle
Gear: CORE Kiteboarding, MYSTIC , CrazyFLy

Postby Matt_TYRCZ » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:36 am

your updates are great read !!!!
me and my friends are first timers and coming down Feb 1st and we are super excited .
we are advance riders , what would be not crazy crowded spot and time of the day for boosting ?,
im guessing Kite Beach will be packed

Matt
Hugh2 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:09 pm
This never gets old! Yet another strong day, this time with medium sized waves, so I launched 7m Pivot at Kite Beach around 12:30 and rode strapless surfboard down to Haakgat. Passed Kevin Langaree on the way, doing his trademark board-off jumps. Beyond Big Bay I shared a great couple of waves with a seal, which was repeatedly swimming out and surfing back in, magic! There were quite a few seals around near Haakgat, but only this one surfing further south. Back at Kite Beach, the wind was really filling in around 2:30, so 7m again and TT for some jumping. Remarkably few other kiters out, perhaps having to get ready for New Years Eve braais (barbecues), so no problem finding landing zones. But it was not long before I simply could not stay upwind and hold down my 7m and quit around 3:30, too tired to pump my 5.5m. It always impresses me that some others can continue to ride in these conditions, some in fact on larger kites, like Lanral Ruddock, co-owner of the BKA kiteshop on Kite Beach, sponsors of the Windguru meter shown below, who was still riding a 9m when I quit. Obviously he is younger, stronger, and more skilled than me, but I just don't see how he can hold such a big kite when I am struggling to ride with a near completely depowered 7m. I would literally be lofted and dragged downwind on a 9m in 30 knots with gusts approaching 40.

Edit - Kevin's latest Kevlog shows just what he can do with these conditions. He often rides his final session late in the day when the crowds have thinned out. I love the way a guy on the beach just sits down at 1:05 to watch, that's how most of us react to his jumps!

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha beach, Le Morne, Silver Rock
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Cabrinha kites. North, Airush, and Slingshot boards and foils.

Postby Eduardo » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:51 am

Thanks Hugh2. Great to hear trip reports while they are underway. Any pictures to share?

Also, your profile says you are from Illinois. wow - a long way. Great that you managed such a trip and to stay a long time. Any secret sauce to share as to how to make that work half way around the world?

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:51 pm

Hi Matt, if you launch at any of the main spots from Sunset Beach through Big Bay, you only have to ride upwind or downwind a couple hundred meters to get some space. On downwinders you get more inbetween the main launches, and from Big Bay to Haakgat you have it to yourself pretty much.

Eduardo, I was a professor at the University of Illinois for 31 years, so the past 10 years once I was good enough, I've been able to come to Cape Town each summer for at least a month over the winter holidays in Illinois. Now I'm retired I am here for three months the last two years. I am South African and have family here and share a flat with my sister, and keep a car in a garage with a set of kite boards and some kites (I bring my 7 and 9 with me), so it is pretty sweet! My kiting has improved enormously because of it, but I also do three trips a year to Cape Hatteras for a week each, plus we have local lakes to kite on regularly. At 64 I still feel I am improving my jumping and wave riding, but I don't do any tricks.
These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post:
a99 (Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:21 pm)
Rating: 10%

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:13 pm

New Years Day is the busiest beach day in South Africa, so the main beaches were so packed with people it seemed unreasonable to launch kites, so most folk kiting in town went to one of the five Sunset Beach access points, or Dolphin, or north on Bloubergstrand. The wind only settled in a little later, so I went to Dolphin around 3 and rode 7m Pivot and TT till I split that beloved 2016 kite in half tomahawking it after a big jump where I got too far ahead of the kite on landing and it fell out of the sky and then the lines snapped tight at the last second. So went to 5.5m Nomad and strapless surfboard, wow is that kite fast turning! It's an old-school six-strut kite with pulleys connecting the bridle and back lines, but flies just fine. I think 10 years old now, I got it second hand here. So now spending the evening on Gumtree and Kitehub shopping for a used 7m Pivot, as Paul Lagesse at Second Wind Sails who can fix mine is away till January 12, and none of the shop websites show any used Pivots for sale. Think I found one.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 7.00.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 7.00.48 PM.png (80.54 KiB) Viewed 463 times
These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post:
a99 (Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:22 pm)
Rating: 10%

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:17 pm

Wind was on the light side today, as forecast on Windguru and WindAlert, so around 3PM I rode 9m Pivot and TT at Kite Beach with local friends David and Jason (along with Jalou Langaree who was on a North prototype, I think a 7m, doing freestyle tricks on strapless board - she is kind and always greets me with a big smile). Then a friend from Joburg arrived, Chris, and we did a downwinder to Haakgat. We had to wait on the beach for a few minutes north of Big Bay for the wind to catch up with us, but otherwise a fun afternoon with some big floaty jumps given the 9m Pivot, all of them landed gently, plus some good wave rides toeside north of Big Bay. Earlier I bought a 2015 7m Pivot from a guy on Gumtree to replace the one I wrecked yesterday, but it was only windy enough for it when we got back to Kite Beach around 6, and I was too tired. Tomorrow is a similar forecast so I might try it late in the day. After that we have messy westerly conditions for at least two days, but I am otherwise occupied anyway.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 9.08.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 9.08.08 PM.png (108.9 KiB) Viewed 327 times

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha beach, Le Morne, Silver Rock
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Cabrinha kites. North, Airush, and Slingshot boards and foils.

Postby Eduardo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:19 pm

Hugh2 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:51 pm
=
Eduardo, I was a professor at the University of Illinois for 31 years, so the past 10 years once I was good enough, I've been able to come to Cape Town each summer for at least a month over the winter holidays in Illinois. Now I'm retired I am here for three months the last two years. I am South African and have family here and share a flat with my sister, and keep a car in a garage with a set of kite boards and some kites (I bring my 7 and 9 with me), so it is pretty sweet! My kiting has improved enormously because of it, but I also do three trips a year to Cape Hatteras for a week each, plus we have local lakes to kite on regularly. At 64 I still feel I am improving my jumping and wave riding, but I don't do any tricks.
wow way to go at 64!

decay
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Muizenburg, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Ruakaka River Mouth
Style: ALL
Gear: Stuff I design
Brand Affiliation: Product Engineer - Airush

Postby decay » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:53 am

Just got back in town Hugh after a nice break in J Bay, might see you at Kite Beach this evening.

Return to “Kitesurfing”