Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Skateboard wheel/truck for kiting

Forum for kitesurfers
Herman
Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Skateboard wheel/truck for kiting

Postby Herman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:42 am

Skateboarding with a kite:

Anybody got a favourite wheel or truck for flatland skateboarding under a kite?

Looking for a bit of slide on decent tarmac or concrete not just trucking down a path.

(Apologies for not selecting snow/land had not sussed how to select.......)

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Skateboard wheel/truck for kiting

Postby tomtom » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:14 pm

SLIDE surfskate trucks - with windwing or very light powered single skin kite /unhooked/
72mm sharkwheels are probably best but not that much better from much cheaper regular soft 70 mm wheels.

Herman
Frequent Poster

Re: Skateboarding wheel/truck for kiting

Postby Herman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:15 pm

Thanks tomtom, your suggestion looks very interesting and addresses my current concerns. My Paris trucks are great, highly manoeuvrable, etc but they feel a little tall and perhaps prone to speed wobble even with hard bushings (orangatang nipples).

How directional does the surfskate set up feel. Is it ok riding backwards or does it get dodgy?

If I don't go for the sharks do you think bevels make a significant difference in slide performance?

I am coming from many hrs on skateboards powered by windsurf rigs (many years ago), and many hrs of kite landboarding but no experience of kiting skateboards. I do try to fumble around with long board dance to stave off old age but I wouldn't want an audience! I also occasionally still use a rig on a mountain board for old times sake.

Do you favour a directional approach over a TT style? I feel I need to make a choice between a drop deck slidey TT set up or a carver directional set up. I am leaning towards carver and foot changes!

Thanks again!

Regards Herman

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:34 pm

Surfskate is directional only. I like SS /surfskate/ because it can be turned very radically and control speed that way. Its quite close to surf foiling. If your Paris are wobbly for you then Surfskate is maybe not for you. Depend if you like to carve or you are in to speed. I dont think that slide feel come from wheels - trucks are 90% of what they are. Wheels are maybe better or worst traction but thats it. Any decent big wheel will do it.

About TT vs directional - im strongly asymmetrical - riding foil and surfboard on water only for long time. So i dont like TT style backward riding.

I start Surfskating relatively recently with no SK8 background - Normal sk8 or longboard just feel very wrong to me. Turning radius is like digital ether you are turning or no. And to be able to really lean into turn you must go fast. On SS you can really close radius midturn and lean into turn in much slower speed.

With wing you are more stable than if you ride at same speed downwill because as you counteracting wing this constant pressure into trucks counter speed wobbles.

Also SS is super fun without any wind too. Sort like big foils where you can use pumping to propel your self in addition to wind power

My fried was also doing A LOT windsurf sk8 and now he use windwing with slide surfskate. - I will try to get some insight from him to compare and let you know.

Herman
Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:59 pm

It dawned on me between posts that a slidey approach would be really dumb as you are not using much power. Not worried about loose trucks and tight turning circles. Touch wood I have never been bothered by speed wobbles it was just my attempt to describe why I feel I could do better than my current trucks. ( TT Slidey works with mountain boards on sand because you are using plenty of power and straps. Not sensible on skate.)

I like tight turning as it means you don't have to spend time running down wind with nothing to balance against. I used to ride a De Rosney landboard, fast but wide turning circle, now they were scary.

I think I have got my head round the way to go, you have been a great help.

Thanks again TomTom.

Regards Herman.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:02 pm

Herman wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:42 am
Looking for a bit of slide on decent tarmac or concrete not just trucking down a path.
My homemade longboards were pretty simple and were not dropped decks. I just started using them with a kite after using them (built them for use) with a windsurfing sail. For skatewindsurfing, A high deck seemed to be better for preventing sliding out. So I was stuck in the more "cruising" mode for both uses.

But I did find that a tighter turn radius sucked for skatewindsurfing, but was great for kiteskateboarding - and a longer turn radius was great for skatewindsurfing, but a was too slow in a jibe for kiteskateboarding. But when learning to switch feet, stiffer bushings and longer radius trucks are obviously better for control. Once you get the hang of it, you want a tighter turn radius as the jibe (with an actual foot switch) becomes more fun.

For wheels, softer and larger were the best for the bumps on long distance rides that are inevitable.

Oh, yeah... I only maybe once tried a skateboard with a full sized (7.5m Apex II). Honestly I only use a Rush Pro 250 with a skateboard. Even at 100kg, the Rush Pro 350 was too much. In the same wind I was using a Rush Pro 250 but did not want the 350, I would use a 15m with a mountain board on grass.

Only on high resistance surfaces do you need a full sized kite. Ice skates and skateboards are just better with a trainer kite.

Herman
Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:41 pm

Thanks Matteo V, good to hear I there are others out there. Even with a rig I liked a tight turn after a lot of practice because you could always open it out but that's relative to the trucks of the 80s. Tight turn for for helicopter tacks, open turn and rig laid right back down aft for down wind 360s etc those were the days. On ice be prepared for a backing sail in the gybe; duck tacks holding the mast underneath a high clue sail, seems a long time ago.

My mountain board kiting is fully current but to work on balance and foot changing exercises I bought a drop deck longboard.
This soon stirred memories and I started thinking that I wish I'd had this deck when I was doing my rig base freestyle stuff, because the step in the deck felt so comfortable a little bit like being strapped. Now I am comfortable with it I will definitely kite it and experiment with slide just for board control training. But as you rightly point out it is not sensible or practical to take a lot of power and a very different approach to sandbased mountain boards is required.

My next board will be a surfskate carver and hopefully this give me the best of both worlds. At least it will keep me off the street!!!!

Thanks again!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:04 pm

Here's my favuorite longboard of all time. I made it in 2006 and havent found anything to come close to it!.... So much so that it finally delaminated by the through and I "Mummy Wrapped" the drop through cut outs so i could carry on riding!

For stability get your board lower to the ground. Do drop through or lowered. It also helps with sliding as well. Randal style trucks are sweet, the paris trucks you have are fine. Just get the board lower. To slide you want harder durometer wheels. EG 85a would be a good slidy wheel. However good slidy wheels are harsh, You need smoooth concrete for hard wheels.

Lastly. If you want to slide. Ditch the longboard in favour of landboarding on the hard sand. That is sweeeeet sliding all day and all night long.

P1030259.JPG
mummy wrap.jpg

These users thanked the author plummet for the post:
edt (Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:35 pm)
Rating: 10%

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:56 pm

I talk with friend who windsurf sk8 for long time before and now windwing surfskate. He says basically what Mateo said. For windsurf you need WIDE turning, but for kite and windwing you need tight turning. Imo surfskate is best concrete kite/wing land "board " for now

Jyoder
Medium Poster
Gear: Stringy Foil and DIY board
Has thanked: 0

Postby Jyoder » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:02 pm

Return to “Kitesurfing”