Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The first company to produce a quality QR for those who never unhook ...

Forum for kitesurfers
User avatar
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1837
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Noviomagus Reginorum
Has thanked: 176 times
Been thanked: 100 times

Re: The first company to produce a quality QR for those who never unhook ...

Postby iriejohn » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:04 am

QR release and reload should be possible completely one handed. OK, this is never going to be possible with rope.

If using a static attachment to a bar the fundamental problem is the current method of attachment to the bar - a hook of some variety. The hook needs to go.

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9683
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 169 times

Re: The first company to produce a quality QR for those who never unhook ...

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:17 pm

Agree, those wichard types are also a PITA to connect, when self launching with a stake - takes WAY too long time and you dont have much security.

Also, the risk of accidentally releasing those are bugger...

Use one myself on one bar, but always unhappy with the cumbersome connection when launching.

A good QR connection should be fast to connect, and not have a chance that it twists the loop out when going toeside loaded.

The good thing about the current chickenloop most of us use, is the superfast way you can just "hook in" even without the dick into place.

Something fast maybe not like that, but close, and onehanded of course - the wichard need two hands (or very long time)

Doesnt matter if tricky to disconnect, as long as you can connect fast IMO.

The Cabrinha Fireball seems superfast, and the idea is good, but one major flaw which I assume is one reason we dont see it used really:
You need a special spreader bar that fits, which is a no go as we all got spreader bars and harnesses with a tad or a lot different hooks.

It is also quite long, but this seems to be a design thing, it could be shortened an inch just before the hook it seems :wink:

The other proposal here, a supersmall QR, could work, but seems to be a bit difficult too when self launching, but one could make an additional line to take care of that maybe?

Interesting topic :thumb:

8) Peter

User avatar
Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3447
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:37 pm
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: The first company to produce a quality QR for those who never unhook ...

Postby Bille » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:38 pm

Slingshot made one that looked like this ; one handed operation, and
it reloaded Really Fast !
Loved it a Bunch ; till the crappy "chinese" bolt broke , and i
lost my bran-New Ozone, to a light-poll. :angryfire:

Bille
Attachments
quick-release-kitesurfing-spreader-bar-with-quick-release-safety-line.jpeg
quick-release-kitesurfing-spreader-bar-with-quick-release-safety-line.jpeg (12.71 KiB) Viewed 902 times

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9683
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 169 times

Re: The first company to produce a quality QR for those who never unhook ...

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:12 pm

br44 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:04 am
You can buy one today. The plastic housing is a prototype (3D printed), works well and should last a few years at least. Need only one QR for all your bars!
https://www.infexion.eu/shop/max_bar/qu ... lease-eye/
I have one. Certainly not going back to the hook and the chicken loop QRs.

I like this, a lot :thumb:

But there is no spring (rubber band) to keep it from releasing too easy?

My major concern :roll:

8) Peter

br44
Medium Poster
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:07 am
Gear: LEIs, foils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: The first company to produce a quality QR for those who never unhook ...

Postby br44 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:02 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:12 pm
br44 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:04 am
You can buy one today. The plastic housing is a prototype (3D printed), works well and should last a few years at least. Need only one QR for all your bars!
https://www.infexion.eu/shop/max_bar/qu ... lease-eye/
I have one. Certainly not going back to the hook and the chicken loop QRs.

I like this, a lot :thumb:

But there is no spring (rubber band) to keep it from releasing too easy?

My major concern :roll:

8) Peter
There are 2 rubber bands - one to hold the parts together, the other to eject the steel ring (if releasing under no tension). It seems Very Difficult to release by mistake, as the travel required is about 2 cm if I recall correctly (details on his site). [So far I only used mine flying on the beach, btw.] It would likely be (quite) challenging to reconnect in the water after deploying it - but that is a retarded problem/feature to begin with, imho.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:53 pm
Gear: all brands
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: The first company to produce a quality QR for those who never unhook ...

Postby alford » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:29 am

br44 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:02 am
Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:12 pm
br44 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:04 am
You can buy one today. The plastic housing is a prototype (3D printed), works well and should last a few years at least. Need only one QR for all your bars!
https://www.infexion.eu/shop/max_bar/qu ... lease-eye/
I have one. Certainly not going back to the hook and the chicken loop QRs.

I like this, a lot :thumb:

But there is no spring (rubber band) to keep it from releasing too easy?

My major concern :roll:

8) Peter
There are 2 rubber bands - one to hold the parts together, the other to eject the steel ring (if releasing under no tension). It seems Very Difficult to release by mistake, as the travel required is about 2 cm if I recall correctly (details on his site). [So far I only used mine flying on the beach, btw.] It would likely be (quite) challenging to reconnect in the water after deploying it - but that is a retarded problem/feature to begin with, imho.
Why do you think it'd be difficult to reconnect? As I understand it you simply push the collar up and the jaws open and while open you'd stick the SS ring from your depower line in.
Haven't tried one but seems easy enough.
My concern is that the QR only stays open while you're actually pushing up on it. As soon as you let off it closes back up. I'm still intrigued by it however but would like to see a smoother plastic shroud instead of the cheap and grainy printed plastic.

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9683
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 169 times

Re: The first company to produce a quality QR for those who never unhook ...

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:39 pm

I've just ordered one, and the micro leash, then we'll see :D

8) Peter

br44
Medium Poster
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:07 am
Gear: LEIs, foils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: The first company to produce a quality QR for those who never unhook ...

Postby br44 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:27 am

alford wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:29 am
br44 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:02 am

There are 2 rubber bands - one to hold the parts together, the other to eject the steel ring (if releasing under no tension). It seems Very Difficult to release by mistake, as the travel required is about 2 cm if I recall correctly (details on his site). [So far I only used mine flying on the beach, btw.] It would likely be (quite) challenging to reconnect in the water after deploying it - but that is a retarded problem/feature to begin with, imho.
Why do you think it'd be difficult to reconnect?

Would like to see a smoother plastic shroud instead of the cheap and grainy printed plastic.
Because it takes me a little fumbling to connect on the beach. Perhaps because i'm not very familiar with it yet. Could I do that in the water? I guess, but not (very) easily. Not an issue though - if I activate the QR, then I'm done riding for a while.

Evan is working on finalizing the plastic part, yes including potentially a smooth plastic version. Until then, the 3D printed one is 100% functional, and not a reason to wait if you ask me.

blu
Medium Poster
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:32 am
Local Beach: Great Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Cayo Coco
Gear: Flysurfer Ozone Slingshot Cabrinha Nobile Lift LF
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: The first company to produce a quality QR for those who never unhook ...

Postby blu » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:45 am

:thumb:
knotwindy wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:22 pm
Just use the Fireball upper qr without the lower piece?
:thumb: :bye:

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:06 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: The first company to produce a quality QR for those who never unhook ...

Postby dejavu » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:16 pm

Agree with you Knotwindy......Cabrinha's Fireball is a game changer. Clean, Simple, Safe. Once you try one you will be convinced.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andrzej351, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], drsurf, Google [Bot], Milko0k, MSN [Bot], nikolaygadzhev77 and 25 guests