Exuma, Bahamas Kite trip?

Forum for kitesurfers
hookedcook
Medium Poster
Gear: Elevegiht RS 10 and 12
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Exuma, Bahamas Kite trip?

Postby hookedcook » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:45 pm

Spent about 4 years working on cat sailboats and motor yachts doing exuma charters before I had my own kite gear. Its sad how much time I was there for the small amount of kiting I did, but as a chef on the boat hardly ever get any time off to go kiting and was not experienced years ago when I was working on the sailboat and actually had free time. Now I mostly work on yachts. so cooking all day. I still do occasional freelance charters with my old captain/ friend in the Exumas. He's moved up since I meet him with his first charter cat and now owns/ runs Bahamas Catameran charters doing exuma trips. He just messaged me yesterday to see if I could do a charter but currently in Brazil on holiday. He's a cool guy and knows every island , cove, and sandbar in the exumas. Best thing if the wind isn't great, fishing, spearfishing, diving, snorkeling, ect. I've been telling him for years to focus on kite trips but he gets mostly familys. Its a no brainer vacation on a sailboat charter. Land in Nassau, hop on the boat, everythings taken care of, exumas how ever many days you want, dock back in Nassau, fly home. If anyone wants more info, send me a private message

ralu81
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sherman island, Roosevelt park- gorge, Moriah Harbor-Great Exuma Bahamas, Little Sable Point Lake Michigan, Oscoda Lake Huron, Long Beach IN Lake Michigan, Escanaba, HWY 2 U.P. Michigan, Lake St. Clair, Harsen's Island, Tawas.
Gear: Slingshot RPM
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas

Postby ralu81 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:49 pm

StellaBlu wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:07 am
Reviving an older thread, but any intel for the Exumas in late November? The average wind seems lighter but I don’t know if that means it’s spotty or if it’s light most of the day with a regular thermal.

If there’s wind at that time of year, is there any suggestion on which areas of the island are most conducive to foiling or kiting? Are there areas with enough depth for foiling?

Will be there with family and really hoping that it can double as a kite/wing trip.

Thanks!
I've been there around the same time of the year and it's hit or miss for wind. If you foil you have a much better chance. I was there in early December 2019 and was skunked. If I would of had my foil I would of been able to ride 2-3 days out of 5 we were there. Tropic of cancer beach is your best bet for foiling if you wont have access to a boat. The winds are generally out of the east and pretty much all of the locations that are the typical spots to go (tropic of cancer, Moriah, Northern part of great exuma) all cater well to most easterly. To much south then its going offshore but I have never had this issue.

danlar
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 62kg
Local Beach: Santa Marianita, Ecuador
Favorite Beaches: I have kited at: Peru (Paracas, Mancora), Bresil (Cumbuco), Dominican Republic (Cabarete, Las Terrenas), Grenadines (Union Island), USA (Hatteras, Tarpon Springs), Bahamas (Exuma), Greece (Paros, Lefkada),Turks & Caicos (Long Bay)
Style: freerider, freestyle
Gear: Evo SLS 8m 2022, Rebel 9m 2020, Dice SLS 11m 2022, Neo SLS 12m 2022, Juice 15m 2020, Shinn Bronq Luigi 135/41, Jaime SLS 142/43, Cabrinha surfboard Secret Weapon

Postby danlar » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:33 pm

I was at Exumas end of december last year for 3 weeks, we stayed at Paradise Bay. You can foil in front of Paradise Bay with a northern wind. I was kiting very often at Cocoplum with wind starting north and slowly moving east and disappearing for few days. Not sure you can foil there but it’s a very nice place, sometimes you feel alone. You can kite Emerald Bay for waves with a eastern wind. Photo at Paradise Bay
Attachments
45CA442A-E734-4B38-9B44-D6506DAB5724.jpeg

Return to “Kitesurfing”