Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

morro bay - back bay launch

Forum for kitesurfers
paul s
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

morro bay - back bay launch

Postby paul s » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:51 pm

Any info on kiting in Morro Bay? I know people do it, i know it's tidal. Haven't been able to find any info on where, when, wind direction and ti. Thanks!

madworld
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Re: morro bay - back bay launch

Postby madworld » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:13 am

California State Parks have decided to expand their ban on kite-surfing by extending the "Snowy Plover" nesting area further north to Morro Bay.
IMG_3089.JPG

Try Cayucos, it hooks around so north wind blows side off; you can do a pretty good down-winder to the Rock (be aware though that the swell gets much bigger as you head south). There is also a big hole in the wind as you approach rock due to some lift effect; best bet is to land at the RV campground just north. Beach to launch from used to be called Old Creek but now I think it is signed as Morro Strand. Look for the parking area right on the sand and you're golden. Watch out for snowy plovers as the Californians seem to worship them.

There are spots to kite up north but they are a lot rockier, kelp, and sharks due to the elephant seals and deep water.

John Doe
Medium Poster
Gear: The cheap kind.

Re: morro bay - back bay launch

Postby John Doe » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:16 am

madworld wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:13 am
California State Parks have decided to expand their ban on kite-surfing by extending the "Snowy Plover" nesting area further north to Morro Bay.
IMG_3089.JPG

Try Cayucos, it hooks around so north wind blows side off; you can do a pretty good down-winder to the Rock (be aware though that the swell gets much bigger as you head south). There is also a big hole in the wind as you approach rock due to some lift effect; best bet is to land at the RV campground just north. Beach to launch from used to be called Old Creek but now I think it is signed as Morro Strand. Look for the parking area right on the sand and you're golden. Watch out for snowy plovers as the Californians seem to worship them.

There are spots to kite up north but they are a lot rockier, kelp, and sharks due to the elephant seals and deep water.
They took down that "No Kite Flying" sign, not sure why. Now they have a 3 foot by 2 foot sign with the silohuette of a dog, that says "Endangered Species Area". Not sure why they made this change, but, they put the same sign up at multiple State Beach's up and down the coast around Morro Bay.

Nevertheless, it goes off. Kite the coast, not the bay:)

Return to “Kitesurfing”