Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

twintip use inappropriate

Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2072
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 pm
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world
Has thanked: 142 times
Been thanked: 167 times

Re: Brazilian beach rules ?

Postby Matteo V » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:33 pm

deniska wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:56 pm
Just to push this slippery-slope argument a bit further.. would it be ok for those 5-7 riders in rotation to kick out the "foreigner" rider (of whatever different style) if he was there first? 8)
not saying that I disagree with what you said above.. just want to see where this little "slip" brings us...
Yes, that would be inappropriate in a general circumstance.

However, if one type of rider is in an area avoiding (not using) the unique and dominant feature of that area (like a perfect wave setup), AND there was lots of room for that rider close by without that feature which they are avoiding anyway, then:

1. Kicking out the rider, who is not using that feature, to another close by area, is doing NO harm to them.
2. Kicking out the rider not using the feature, is HELPING those who cannot go anywhere else nearby to kite on (and actually utilize) a similar unique feature.
3. A rider wanting to be in an area for an audience, but not utilizing the rare/unique features that area, and ruining others use of that rare and unique feature, should definitely move on, or "be moved on".
4. An "audience" and "judges" are two different things, the latter of which would override the previous guidelines, though the event organizers are responsible for not creating the conflict in the first place. Second time it happens????????

fzonatto
Rare Poster
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:55 pm
Local Beach: florianopolis
Style: freeride
Gear: north rebel
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: twintip use inappropriate

Postby fzonatto » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:50 pm

Common guys think that true...
Soon in cauipe just freestyle board ?
Who make the call?
Segregation is not the way to kite

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2072
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 pm
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world
Has thanked: 142 times
Been thanked: 167 times

Re: twintip use inappropriate

Postby Matteo V » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:09 pm

How about this...

Public football pitch next to an even bigger open mowed field.

A non-professional team shows up to make up a practice that was missed earlier in the week.

Arriving they see that a guy on a motorbike is riding on the football pitch.

Would it be right for the team to kick the motorbike rider out to the open field so they could play on the pitch?

User avatar
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 41398
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:00 am
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.
Location: World (KF Admin)
Has thanked: 338 times
Been thanked: 730 times
Contact:

Re: twintip use inappropriate

Postby Toby » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:36 pm

fzonatto wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:50 pm
Common guys think that true...
Soon in cauipe just freestyle board ?
Who make the call?
Segregation is not the way to kite
make me think...I like that idea...where to get such signs?
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
fzonatto (Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:46 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

User avatar
deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 836
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:40 pm
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: Brazilian beach rules ?

Postby deniska » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:21 am

Matteo V wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:33 pm
deniska wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:56 pm
Just to push this slippery-slope argument a bit further.. would it be ok for those 5-7 riders in rotation to kick out the "foreigner" rider (of whatever different style) if he was there first? 8)
not saying that I disagree with what you said above.. just want to see where this little "slip" brings us...
Yes, that would be inappropriate in a general circumstance.

However, if one type of rider is in an area avoiding (not using) the unique and dominant feature of that area (like a perfect wave setup), AND there was lots of room for that rider close by without that feature which they are avoiding anyway, then:

1. Kicking out the rider, who is not using that feature, to another close by area, is doing NO harm to them.
2. Kicking out the rider not using the feature, is HELPING those who cannot go anywhere else nearby to kite on (and actually utilize) a similar unique feature.
3. A rider wanting to be in an area for an audience, but not utilizing the rare/unique features that area, and ruining others use of that rare and unique feature, should definitely move on, or "be moved on".
4. An "audience" and "judges" are two different things, the latter of which would override the previous guidelines, though the event organizers are responsible for not creating the conflict in the first place. Second time it happens????????
Here we go with the slippery slope...
you have a lonely beginner, barely mowing the lawn on a super flat area next to the beach. Now 5 free-stylers come and want to use that dominant (for them) feature.. because in their thinking a beginner can do his boring riding elsewhere. Do they have a case?.. The problem is that while that beginner likes the flat water very much too, for him the dominant feature of that spot is safety (which is combination of flat water, wide beach, proximity to the beach, etc. Asking him to ride elsewhere is a deal breaker for him, simply because he is not ready to deal with possible dangers of riding too far, dealing with waves and sketchy exits, away from others... Other guys may be pissed but they can still have a session on sketchy and not so flat portion of the spot... If they are loud enough they may even put a sign that this spot is NOT for beginners, which is total BS ;-)

User avatar
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 41398
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:00 am
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.
Location: World (KF Admin)
Has thanked: 338 times
Been thanked: 730 times
Contact:

Re: twintip use inappropriate

Postby Toby » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:38 am

Simple: majority wins.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2072
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 pm
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world
Has thanked: 142 times
Been thanked: 167 times

Re: twintip use inappropriate

Postby Matteo V » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:57 am

Toby wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:51 pm
the last sentence is important:

ATTENTION: this spot is inappropriate for bidirectionals (TT) and beginners.
So it is ok for TT, but not beginners.

Looks like you can just spray paint over the "bidirectionals (TT)" part, but keep the sign up to keep the beginners out? (me being sarcastic as in any location safe for beginners, they do absolutely have the right of way being the slower less maneuverable craft)

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2072
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 pm
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world
Has thanked: 142 times
Been thanked: 167 times

Re: Brazilian beach rules ?

Postby Matteo V » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:14 am

deniska wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:21 am
Other guys may be pissed but they can still have a session on sketchy and not so flat portion of the spot... If they are loud enough they may even put a sign that this spot is NOT for beginners, which is total BS ;-)
The only way in which a beginner has ever inconvenienced me is the countless times when I have taken my kite down, and spent the rest of my session time helping them out. Kiting would be much better if we did show some courtesy to those up and comers.

But if you actually are a skilled kiteboarder, you have all the skill needed to get around a beginner flopping around at pretty much any beach they would be at.

User avatar
deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 836
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:40 pm
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: twintip use inappropriate

Postby deniska » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:41 am

Toby wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:38 am
Simple: majority wins.
That did not go well for Germany in 1930-40s..
They might have had a winning shot in WWII with their nuke/rocket programs but they kicked out or killed their best scientists who happened to be ethnic minorities..
You probably heard this tale ;-)

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3477
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:15 am
Style: Professional Online Kitebored Commenter.
Gear: Flysurfer VMGs 8 10 12 13 15. Foilboard ( Masts 75 110 125 Wings 880 1100 1350) with Ronix Ones attached.
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 145 times

Re: twintip use inappropriate

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:35 am

Goddam surfboard riders, the plague of the ocean. Think they own the ocean.
These users thanked the author longwhitecloud for the post:
edt (Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:09 pm)
Rating: 6.67%


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 126 guests