Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

twintip use inappropriate

Forum for kitesurfers
grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: twintip use inappropriate

Postby grigorib » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:56 pm

Toby wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:51 pm
the last sentence is important:

ATTENTION: this spot is inappropriate for bidirectionals (TT) and beginners.
There’s no “(TT)” in the original poster. They might have meant (DP) by bidirectionals. Different strokes for different folks and some are insensitive. Have some pity for those who judge others for they don’t have a clue

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:00 pm

There's no "wait." If you boost right in front of someone who is riding a wave, you force them off the wave. They have to go around to the back, wait for the next set. If some guy kept forcing me off my wave because that guy was on a starboard tack, I would probably give up, go find some other place to ride.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:12 pm

can't jump when someone is in the wave. so have to turn back and wait again. same same.

no original TT on sign, I just posted it for people to know that bidirectional = TT

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:33 pm

edt wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:03 pm
So my feeling as a kiter, we all should share the ocean. Everyone gets to ride waves. But once you are on a wave, you have to be respectful.

The idea of wave priority is real. If someone is surfing a wave, be it on a twintip, a skimboard, a surfboard, with a kite without a kite, no matter, what if you see someone surfing a wave they have priority always, right foot forward, left foot forward starboard, port, doesn't matter. You must give way to someone riding a wave the reason being that there is ONE RULE that trumps everything in all boat safety. ONE RULE.

The more maneuverable craft MUST give way. Always. Doesn't matter if you are a fishing boat or million ton oil boat. That's the PRIMARY rule of the ocean.

When you are "On a Wave" you have way less maneuverability than if you are just riding. Unless you quit riding the wave you can't go left right up down doesn't matter. You have zero maneuverability. So if you see someone on a wave, GIVE WAY. That said, surfboards for waves seems silly to me. You want to ride a wave with everything! Wooden plank? Go for it. Inflatable raft? Do it! Body board? Do it! But be respectful to someone on a wave and don't insist on some misguided idea of "Oh I'm on a starboard tack" no that doesn't matter, what matters is they can't move from the line they are on because they are on a wave. let him or her have that wave. No matter if you are on a twntip or surfboard.

If you are on a twintip using a wave as a kicker, let the surfer go by and find another kicker please. You are only on the wave for 1 second, you're not riding the wave.
I general terms I agree with this. Particularly on as the waves get bigger. On a double head monster you are locked in and need to ride it out. On a small ankle biter wave not so much.

However, I have seen dtl wave kiters interrupt a boosting rotation of several dudes boosting at the best boost spot on the beach. On the same beach, there is a far superior wave riding spot that he could be ridden.
So.... The wave rider still needs to respect other people's fun. He doesn't get 100% priority to ride any waves at whim just because he's a wave rider.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:51 pm

well said Plummet

again, give and take.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:54 pm

correct me if i'm wrong... but a general rule of the water is that when dissimilar vessels meet...the less maneuverable guy gets right of way.
(this may be more courtesy and common sense)

on a kite we have access to 1000x times more/differet waves to hit
if there if even a single surfer(or swimmer)...just stay away.

i know most on this forum are more than capable expert level riders... but most folks on the water arent imo.
..and the kook factor is rather high with us kiteboarders, sorry.

if i was surfing i personally would not want any kiters (or SUPers or surf foilers) anywhere near me
they tendf to be error prone and is just too dangerous for everyone.
but i would also appreciate (and notice) the kiter that simply.. stayed away.

longwhitecloud wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:35 am
Goddam surfboard riders, the plague of the ocean. Think they own the ocean.

north shore oahu and kaui both have excellent swell and do actually get on shore winds.....yet both seem practically ignored by kiters

typical surfer nowadays is either a potbellied executive on vacation or an aussie metrosexual wearing a #metoo t-shirt dreaming of the pro tour.
the days of the local meatheads protecting turf are looooong gone.

i think all of hawaii,at least, is ripe a take over by kiters...

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:28 pm

Didn’t your moms teach you to play nice.
Can’t we all just get along.

Be kind or I’ll f’ing kill you.
Happy holidays👋

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:13 am

plummet wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:48 am
So... Being a mutant rider does that mean I can ride anywhere or nowhere?
A mutant is not a twin-tip so you would be good there.

Just make sure you ride toeside back in, and don't be "bi".

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:00 am

Signs like that only come up as the locals agree on something to make it work for everyone. Just talk to them and respect their rules. How difficult to understand is that?!?
These users thanked the author knyfe for the post (total 2):
tautologies (Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:17 am) • knotwindy (Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:40 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:17 am

Toby wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:50 pm

but TT use it as well as kicker to boost. Both use it. Can't boost in chop, can't surf in chop.

give space, as you mentioned, we have to share the ocean, doesn't matter what you ride or how.
Oh for fucks sake. You're not talking about sharing the ocean. You keep on talking about how you dont want to yield to a person on a wave.
The reason for a person on a wave wanting space is because being on a wave leaves a kiter with less options to maneuver.

No need to pick a great wave for launch pad for TT. Wave matters when you want to ride a wave it matters way less on a TT. I come at this from both perspectives. I would never try to do my jumping if there was a lineup of wave riders

You can totally use chop as a launch pad and you definitely dont need to be in the middle of a lineup for a TT launch. It should be easy to manage this.
These users thanked the author tautologies for the post:
knotwindy (Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:41 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”