Local Beach: SYDVESTPYNTEN
Favorite Beaches: Strandparken
Style: TT
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Freestyle kite cabrinha FX or Naish Dash

Postby Kehler » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:29 pm

Hi Billy.

I really would like to hear what you think of your dash after riding them for some time now?

Did you find out more, how they are compared to the torch, i am in doubt what to go after.

Thanks.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:14 pm

Hi - Good timing as I was out on my 11m Dash today in strong 28 to 30mph UK winds, I have had more change to ride the 9m and 14m Dash too. I’m struggling a bit to love the Dash to be honest after coming off of Torch's. I feel the Dash and Torch are more different than the reviews would have you think. The Dash has long bridals and connection lines, is quite "C" shaped looking in the air but handles very differently from the Torch. I miss the constant power and agility of the Torch, there’s few kites that turn as fast as a Torch and few that are as good unhooked (and this is the main let down for me with the Dash).

- Dash: is quite a bit slower than the Torch but excels at long floaty jumps, the Torch gets you up there but does not have the glide the Dash offers. The Dash offers 30% - 50% more float than a Torch and is a great kite if you want to rip around boosting all day and doing rotations. The Dash puts you down on the water with a nice smooth landing, whereas the Torch is a much heavier landing and requires better flying skills. If you're still supple then the Torch wins here, if you're injured or getting older the Dash is more forgiving generally to ride and jump.

- For smooth winds 15 to 30mph I would pick the Torch hands down any day for freestyle. I am almost getting too much unhooked pop from the dash and you need to really haul in the de-power to unhook, whereas on the Torch I never touch the depower strap. Basic handlepasses, F16's, S-Bends etc the Torch is much better as the pop is perfect, and the stability unhooked is unmatched. Dash: I'm impressed that it's impossible to back stall being a bridaled kite as I managed to back stall my friends pivot a few times, Dash is stable unhooked too. For kiteloops I prefer the Torch as it’s more predictable and pulls better/faster.

- Dash: Needs a surprising amount of wind to come alive and is virtually the same wind range as a similar size Torch. The Dash is definitely a higher wind range kite, in the lower range it rolls around the sky, I would be happy taking an 11m Dash in 30mph at 85kg. The more wind the better time you have on the Dash. The Dash is slightly better suited to gusty winds as the Torch surges forward when it's gusty, the Dash absorbs gusts better.

- Set up: The Dash wins here as it's 3 strut with no 5th line, so much less faff than the Torch.

In summary: Get the Dash is you like boosting big (and it does boost very well) and enjoy hooked in tricks with some air time (board off's, rotations etc). If you really unhook a lot and have pretty smooth winds then the Torch any day. I'm going to get an 11m Torch to go with the 11m Dash.

I'm still looking for feedback for the 2020 Torch...anyone flown one ?
Last edited by BillyGoatGruff on Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author BillyGoatGruff for the post:
Kehler (Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:06 am)
Rating: 8.33%

Kehler
Medium Poster

Postby Kehler » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:09 am

Hi Billy

Lovely feedback thanks. Sounds like the torch is for me, still I like to hear about the low end.

What Board are sailing with? Had the Monarch back some years ago, but it broke all the time when riding it with boots.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:32 am

I'm riding straps, I never got on with boots. I'm on a 134cm/42cm Shinn Monk.

p.s there are some brilliant deals out there on 2019 Torch's if you haggle for a discount, enjoy.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:58 am

I found this for the 2020 Torch:

These users thanked the author BillyGoatGruff for the post:
Kehler (Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:33 pm)

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:17 am

Kehler wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:09 am
Hi Billy

Lovely feedback thanks. Sounds like the torch is for me, still I like to hear about the low end.

What Board are sailing with? Had the Monarch back some years ago, but it broke all the time when riding it with boots.
If I were you I'd definitely try the Stomp w/ boots. Previously used to ride Monarch w/ boots but after I broke my ACL was looking primarily to a soft landing board. After some time on Stomp I'll never go back to such a flat as pancake plank... :) Monarch is awesome freeride board though, just not my cup of tea.
As for the difference between Torch and Dash:
It's personal I guess, one thing I like very much about the Dash is that, you can approach the trick with higher speed and be more in control in the air (unhooked). Feels strange initially as does not have the constant pull in the harness as Torch does. Dash feels lighter. Torch is amazing, more explosive but requires much better technique to get most of it.
PS. Dash has better wind range - low and esp.high end.
L.

Kehler
Medium Poster

Postby Kehler » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:13 pm

I had the Dub back then, it had to much rocker, is the rocker lower on the Stomp?

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:01 pm

I had Dub either. Didn't measure it but I think yes.
The difference is in the bottom shape. High rocker in the middle yet lowered edge. It's a mix of high rocker board with great upwind and low end.
Attachments
IMG_20200202_180612.jpg
IMG_20200202_180811.jpg
IMG_20200202_180550.jpg
These users thanked the author Ludmil for the post:
Kehler (Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:33 pm)

Kehler
Medium Poster