Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kevin Langeree leaving Naish...

Forum for kitesurfers
apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:27 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.
Has thanked: 117 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Kevin Langeree leaving Naish...

Postby apollo4000 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:18 pm

Kevin’s a loveable personality and will be a great ambassador/salesman.
Great YT channel.
Lots of pitfalls though.
Production, quality, logistics etc to get a product to market.
Then how to avoid ‘me-too’ as I’m not sure there’ll be anything materially different in the portfolio
Boards will looks the same, kites will look like others
Needs USP....LEI-foil kite just to stop the f&*king debate once and for all
Crowded market, very competitive, low margins, seemly low barriers to entry, designs on github (?)
Shinn’s an interesting story. Start with boards. Maybe less risk. Less expensive to sell. Learn slowly.
Moving to another brand without boards (Blade) and using it as a stepping stone to develop a board range before going onto kites would have been less risky, potentially
But then he may have a wealthy silent partner which would be cool as I want him to succeed.
Should of used his own name though, more equity than weedinit
Kev mate, when you read this, good luck son.
Remember “it ain’t much if it’s not Dutch” (or vice v) there’s your strap line... none of that “fly, Stoke, send it, I’m sick” trite b@llocks

...glad I got that out...felling better already

User avatar
POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1414
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:48 pm
Gear: ¤°
Location: Great Lakes
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: Kevin Langeree leaving Naish...

Postby POACHER » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:36 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:58 pm
Baptiste_FR wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:35 pm
They already have a website.
And why ReedIn ? Maybe because LangerREE and GirarDIN --> ReeDin
Just a guess

Edit : If they remove the pulleys, I'll have a look on these kites !
So will I.
Just for clarification, there is one slider (per side) on the Pivot. In almost 5 years of using Pivots it's never given me or anyone I ride with using Pivots any kind of issue. It doesn't even wear the one bridle line it contacts. (of which is very easy to replace if there was any fraying)
SO what's the fuss with one slider? Is it a feel thing? If I'm not mistaken that slider allows quite a bit more angle of attack for depower?

1 slider, don't see a problem.
6 pulleys still on some kites, seems very 2005.
These users thanked the author POACHER for the post:
andrzej351 (Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:56 am)
Rating: 6.67%

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 10562
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 86 times
Contact:

Re: Kevin Langeree leaving Naish...

Postby tautologies » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:11 pm

plummet wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:17 pm

No, and neither did Chasta the snowkiting legend.

It also makes a mockery of the statement that pro's dont make much coin. Launching a kite business froms scratch is going to cost a couple of mill at least both of them would have to punt some serious coin to get it off the ground.
Lou was the front of someone else's business so this is different.

In what way does it make a mockery of how much riders make? Based on an assumption that it costs millions to start a kiting company?
It definitely does not cost millions to start a business like this.

User avatar
kjorn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 801
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:42 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: uk
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 24 times
Contact:

Re: Kevin Langeree leaving Naish...

Postby kjorn » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:19 pm

tautologies wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:11 pm
plummet wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:17 pm

No, and neither did Chasta the snowkiting legend.

It also makes a mockery of the statement that pro's dont make much coin. Launching a kite business froms scratch is going to cost a couple of mill at least both of them would have to punt some serious coin to get it off the ground.
Lou was the front of someone else's business so this is different.

In what way does it make a mockery of how much riders make? Based on an assumption that it costs millions to start a kiting company?
It definitely does not cost millions to start a business like this.
Really?? A million would buy a nice house in the local village. A million doesn't get you very far, especially if you're sending kites out to shops. Paying reps, pro riders, sales team, etc

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:26 pm
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: F-one Bandit 12 7m, 10m, Breeze 13m
Nomad Carbon C Wave 138cm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: Kevin Langeree leaving Naish...

Postby andylc » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:03 pm

I’m not sure how you can launch a brand without a fair bit of cash, just for promotion r&d, preorders with a factory which you’ve got to source and make sure it’s good enough quality, then get demos out, do some promo events etc etc. A million wouldn’t get you all that far.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 536
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:09 pm
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Kevin Langeree leaving Naish...

Postby UKSurf » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:10 pm

TBH I think he is out of his mind starting his own brand, but good luck to him. He could probably make some decent money doing training camps or setting up a kitesurf school.
Last edited by UKSurf on Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lucas33
Rare Poster
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:23 am
Style: KiteWave | Hooked Freestyle | Big Air
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Salvador, Brazil
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Kevin Langeree leaving Naish...

Postby lucas33 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:18 pm

I hope it’s not one more brand D2 ripstop, nice colors, made in China. Would be nice to have something new!

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 10562
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 86 times
Contact:

Re: Kevin Langeree leaving Naish...

Postby tautologies » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:15 pm

andylc wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:03 pm
I’m not sure how you can launch a brand without a fair bit of cash, just for promotion r&d, preorders with a factory which you’ve got to source and make sure it’s good enough quality, then get demos out, do some promo events etc etc. A million wouldn’t get you all that far.
Now this depends on the skills you already have in the team. It is entirely possible to bootstrap a business on a way way lower budget. If you have no skills but need to buy a full team, sure it will need funding. Maybe not in the Mill+ scale, but closer..if you already have the know-how...absolutely not.

User avatar
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2334
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Weight: 80kg, 1.76m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9076° W (UK South Coast)
Gear: Lieuwe Shotguns
Ozone Enduro V2s
Flite 14.5 Aluula
Duotone Fish
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Noviomagus Reginorum
Has thanked: 392 times
Been thanked: 196 times

Re: Kevin Langeree leaving Naish...

Postby iriejohn » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:26 pm

POACHER wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:36 pm
iriejohn wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:58 pm
Baptiste_FR wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:35 pm
They already have a website.
And why ReedIn ? Maybe because LangerREE and GirarDIN --> ReeDin
Just a guess

Edit : If they remove the pulleys, I'll have a look on these kites !
So will I.
Just for clarification, there is one slider (per side) on the Pivot. In almost 5 years of using Pivots it's never given me or anyone I ride with using Pivots any kind of issue. It doesn't even wear the one bridle line it contacts. (of which is very easy to replace if there was any fraying)
SO what's the fuss with one slider? Is it a feel thing? If I'm not mistaken that slider allows quite a bit more angle of attack for depower?

1 slider, don't see a problem.
6 pulleys still on some kites, seems very 2005.
Yes.

User avatar
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3324
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:12 pm
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!
Location: CubaKiteLessons.com
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 55 times
Contact:

Re: Kevin Langeree leaving Naish...

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:56 pm

What if they start like Switch?


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 153 guests