Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kevin Langeree leaving Naish...

Forum for kitesurfers
a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kevin Langeree leaving Naish...

Postby a99 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:21 pm

He targeting first Netherlands as demo kites there will be available for try. Near are Germany and France. I think they will easy sell till 500-1000 pieces this year. Of course lot will depend of price range. Still title of kite quite strange, more target for young 18-30 people than 30-60 year. Supermodel is a little bit stupid title, bettercan be titled as Model X . More serious people dont like such title, mostly like it girls of course, also lgbt side.
Last edited by a99 on Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nikolaygadzhev77
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby nikolaygadzhev77 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:34 pm

The kite is for pre order in kitemana price crazy start from 1200 eur for small kite, bar price over 500 eur WTF.

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:36 pm

nikolaygadzhev77 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:34 pm
The kite is for pre order in kitemana price crazy start from 1200 eur for small kite, bar price over 500 eur WTF.
12m for 1530 compared to a Core Nexus at 1599, Ozone Enduro 1595, Duotone Evo 1669, Cabrinha Moto 1649. Prices in euro. Ambitious that a 2 man company with a couple part time helpers (or something like that) charges that.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:01 pm

Exal wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:36 pm
nikolaygadzhev77 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:34 pm
12m for 1530 compared to a Core Nexus at 1599, Ozone Enduro 1595, Duotone Evo 1669, Cabrinha Moto 1649. Prices in euro. Ambitious that a 2 man company with a couple part time helpers (or something like that) charges that.
I guess they assume it is a premium product and can charge the same amount as other premium brands. It is a leading designer and probably the No 1 or No 2 (depending on how you look at it) kitesurfer in the history of the sport behind the brand, so it does not seem unreasonable to charge that especially if the build quality is comparable to the premium brands. I would say that they will sell some kites just because it is a new brand with a bit of hype behind it, people want to be seen on the beach with something other people do not have.

Daversj
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sag Harbor
Style: Like it all...
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha,Naish,North,Corevac surfboard

Postby Daversj » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:04 pm

Thats the challenge of a small production runs with small kite brands. You aren’t going to get the best price per unit. So do you order 5 thousand kites at half price and don't sell half of by years end? Or just do a run of 500 and pay more per unit. Not an easy business to make work.
New kite prices are hard to swallow. I wonder what the ratio of kites sold at full price vs kites sold at close outs at end of season. I tend to buy them when on closeout to save $400.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby UKSurf » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:12 pm

Daversj wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:04 pm
Thats the challenge of a small production runs with small kite brands. You aren’t going to get the best price per unit. So do you order 5 thousand kites at half price and don't sell half of by years end? Or just do a run of 500 and pay more per unit. Not an easy business to make work.
New kite prices are hard to swallow. I wonder what the ratio of kites sold at full price vs kites sold at close outs at end of season. I tend to buy them when on closeout to save $400.
It would be interesting to know if anyone on the forum is planning on buying one of their kites? It seems to take ages for a brand to get noticed, from what I understand Core had been about from the early 2000s - it wasnt until about 2013 that I heard of the brand from a german kitesurfer who told me Core was the BMW of the kitesurfing world and had superior build quality and engineering to other brands :lol: and it only seems to have taken off globally recently. Before that I assume they were growing in the domestic market in Germany. From what I understand the last major brand to launch was Switch and they were basically giving away kites at cost when they first launched (all their customers were pretty much "team riders") and had an innovative distribution method, a world class rider (Marc Jacobs) and some serious money behind them. Even giving away kites at cost I think they found it an uphill struggle at first with only a handful of kite riders world wide.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:33 pm

no, Core didn't start in 2000.
That was CARVED. Custom high end boards.

Not sure now, but they did then 2 years (?) CARVED kites.
Then started CORE kites and boards as a cheaper brand than CARVED.

Then only Core kites and boards as production line, while CARVED stayed premium kite boards.

Don't remember when exactly CORE started...maybe someone knows exactly?
All I know is that they started to advertise on kiteforum since end of 2009...

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby UKSurf » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:36 pm

Toby wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:33 pm
no, Core didn't start in 2000.
That was CARVED. Custom high end boards.
"Premium kites and boards made in Germany. And engineered with passion since 2001." that was from the Core Website. Anyhow it takes a while to get noticed and build a brand. Even if Core started in 2009 it took a while for them to become an established brand. I have never heard of Carved, that must be like the Mercedes of Kitesurfing :thumb:

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:59 pm

But, as this thread and the KOTA show, having Reedin kites prominently featured will lead to some people with the means being willing to try them. I doubt it is 5000 a year though, 500 seems more reasonable. There are several guys with them in Cape Town, most afternoons there are some at Kite Beach or Dolphin Beach, but they must be insiders. The distinctive coloring certainly makes them stand out. I believe the local Liquid Force shop, which is moving to the beach front at Bloubergstrand and already carries some premium brands like Appletree surfboards, is going to carry Reedin gear, but I don't know when.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:39 pm

I think what Kevin must give (at costs price or even as gift) around 100-200 these kites for his close friends, insiders and etc, that in all main kite spots of Netherlands, CT, Germany, Italy, Usa and Australia will be at least 2-3 people riding them, than he can expect very speedy spread of his kite needs-sells, because people always want what they see live and in more than 1 quantity and in personal use (not as demo). If he will just do usual sales or occasionaly demos in just few spots than will take 5-10 year to get some more bigger sales for him. He simply must fluid all main spots with his kites. Of course it's very risky and costs, but it's only one way if he would like to get faster return.
These users thanked the author a99 for the post:
andrzej351 (Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:38 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”