Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How much do top riders make?

Forum for kitesurfers
a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How much do top riders make?

Postby a99 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:38 pm

Can somone from more engineering people count what kitedrone must have playload power to drag on surffoil (like moses 633 onda) standart 75 kg kiter (+with wetsuite and harness)? Something as 25-30kg probably ? Or less ? Just drag as in this above video (and of course starting on foil somehow).

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:11 pm

a99 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:38 pm
Can somone from more engineering people count what kitedrone must have playload power to drag on surffoil (like moses 633 onda) standart 75 kg kiter (+with wetsuite and harness)? Something as 25-30kg probably ? Or less ? Just drag as in this above video (and of course starting on foil somehow).

hmmmmm....

(sorry, too easy)

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:14 pm

Drones? No way that is going to have any kind of mass market product available anytime soon.
There are still lots of problems, just to name a few:
1) First you need someone else to steer it or some way to steer it yourself. If you think AI will magically make it work independently you are kidding yourself.
Sure it might be able to run a set track but then you basically have a very expensive cable park. Also the AI would need to know how to work around waves/shore break and other people on the water. Not only is that a super hard problem it is also something where there is a very small market for. Nobody is going to trow billions at that to develop it.
What could maybe work is a control system for the person riding but I am not sure how feasible it is to make something that is sturdy enough, easy to use, water/salt proof and for a reasonable price.
2) The noise! Part of the charm of wind powered sports is being out in nature. Can you imagine the hell of a sound a couple of these drones would make? Pretty sure it will be banned at any spot where there is either people or nature reserves nearby.
3) Power density of the battery is not there yet. Getting a foiler up and running is relatively low power requirement. Doing some kind of session like a twintip with bigair won't be possible anytime soon.
Even for foiling it seems like an overly complex solution which adds nothing compared to the efoil.
I do give the efoil a good chance of success if prices go down below 5k especially if battery tech gets into a state that the board can get lighter (and less bulky).

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:47 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:14 pm
Drones? No way that is going to have any kind of mass market product available anytime soon.
There are still lots of problems, just to name a few:
1) First you need someone else to steer it or some way to steer it yourself. If you think AI will magically make it work independently you are kidding yourself.
Sure it might be able to run a set track but then you basically have a very expensive cable park. Also the AI would need to know how to work around waves/shore break and other people on the water. Not only is that a super hard problem it is also something where there is a very small market for. Nobody is going to trow billions at that to develop it.
What could maybe work is a control system for the person riding but I am not sure how feasible it is to make something that is sturdy enough, easy to use, water/salt proof and for a reasonable price.
2) The noise! Part of the charm of wind powered sports is being out in nature. Can you imagine the hell of a sound a couple of these drones would make? Pretty sure it will be banned at any spot where there is either people or nature reserves nearby.
3) Power density of the battery is not there yet. Getting a foiler up and running is relatively low power requirement. Doing some kind of session like a twintip with bigair won't be possible anytime soon.
Even for foiling it seems like an overly complex solution which adds nothing compared to the efoil.
I do give the efoil a good chance of success if prices go down below 5k especially if battery tech gets into a state that the board can get lighter (and less bulky).

i'm not advocating drone kiting..
but to play the devils advocate..

problem number #1- already solved.
drone "remotes" already exist..operated in 3D. you simply point/rotate/wave where it where you want to go..or have it mirror or "run" from you... not too difficult to program it to stay at certain angle of wind like boat autopilots already do (for surf use..for example)
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... phoon.html
The Wizard Wand for Typhoon Quadcopter from Yuneec condenses all of the quadcopter's flight and gimbal controls into a small unit that works like a TV remote. It also gives you a Point-N-Fly function that lets you literally point to where you want the drone to position itself instead of using the standard flight controls to move it.
oh...it is already waterproof. the "wizard" was a big before its time...but again this tech has been here for a while. (is in your phone too)
wouldnt be too diffcult to modify something like that into a handle to hold

problem #2..
(depending on what you consider acceptable noise)
cant speak of effectivenes.. but you can cut down on lateral waves from rotos

problem #3
depends how you define "yet".
google "lithium polysulfidophosphate" batteries... they're lighter in weight...but can hold ~4x the energy as other Li batteries chems
the technoolgy IS here now
meaning an energy rich, all solid battery that isnt going to self combust when it gets abused.
...it is just early.
folks still fighting on who gets rich off it.

here is the research abstract for the fellers that are trying to file the patent(maybe they already got it?)
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 0/abstract

i see the battery breakthrus as more ushering in the upcoming era of 100% electric vehicles..(and solar/energy storage at home)
problably the only 2-3 people that would use a drone for foil on a board are already participating in this thread.

a99
Very Frequent Poster

Postby a99 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:07 pm

1. This is really not problem. Remote control as elguapo already exists, developent will be of course.
2. Noise can be some problem i agree, still possible to do some sound level reductions as in his picture.
3. Batteries capacory problems will be solved in 5 years for sure. I think drone cqn produce bigger dragging speed than efoil, at least comparing in the same price level. Kitedrone i think can costs less than efoil. Kitedrone is more versatile because i can be used also on waveriding boards, sups and surfs and of coruse on tt if powerfull. Efoil its only on foil. Plus kitedrone can do video m, pictures, efoil not of course.

Surfkiternew
Medium Poster
Gear: All

Postby Surfkiternew » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:22 pm

:jump: How much top rider make? ..discussion on drone... :jump: let me try ..do u use foil kite? :nono: :nono:

Jamesconn300
Rare Poster
Local Beach: North America
Gear: _if it Flys or Floats
Brand Affiliation: _mars bars

Postby Jamesconn300 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:47 pm

Surfkiternew wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:22 pm
:jump: How much top rider make? ..discussion on drone... :jump: let me try ..do u use foil kite? :nono: :nono:
Its times like this where mods should delete posts.

What is the point of a forum if every single thread the same people bring up the same unrelated topics.

Your poison. This forum is water. Even a drop reduces the resource to toxic waste.

Come on Toby get rid of these garbage posts. Kitedrones!!!??? WE ARE TALKING ABOUT PRO SALARY YOU UTTER ASDFKIASDIF.kjasbdfauisbdf

But tell me about your ram air now, I will off myself.
These users thanked the author Jamesconn300 for the post (total 2):
ELI (Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:55 am) • andrzej351 (Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:04 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:36 pm

elguapo wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:50 am
K-Roy wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:58 pm
I also think, we don't have to wait to long before foils will be pulled by drones...

already here my man..

Does it have enough power to get up up out the water from stationary position?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:32 pm

He's my unfounded guess.

The top 10 dudes like Kevin, Aaron, Nick will be making $200-$300k plus travel/accom etc
The next tear down. maybe top 10-20 will be $60-$100k dependant on online presence.

Then after than. Rats and mice. Dudes will be lucky to scrape a living and will rely on other forms of supplementary income.
Equipment might be provided, maybe travel costs. Sometimes just discounted kites......

a99
Very Frequent Poster

Postby a99 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:44 pm

plummet wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:32 pm
He's my unfounded guess.

The top 10 dudes like Kevin, Aaron, Nick will be making $200-$300k plus travel/accom etc
The next tear down. maybe top 10-20 will be $60-$100k dependant on online presence.

Then after than. Rats and mice. Dudes will be lucky to scrape a living and will rely on other forms of supplementary income.
Equipment might be provided, maybe travel costs. Sometimes just discounted kites......
You are really shure regarding top 10 dudes incomes ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”