Favorite Beaches: First Landing State Park, OBX
Style: booting, kiteloop, freestyle
Gear: CORE Kiteboarding, MYSTIC , CrazyFLy
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How much do top riders make?

Postby Matt_TYRCZ » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:09 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
you are crazy !!!
probably even kite company CO dosent make this kind of money !

plummet wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:32 pm
He's my unfounded guess.

The top 10 dudes like Kevin, Aaron, Nick will be making $200-$300k plus travel/accom etc
The next tear down. maybe top 10-20 will be $60-$100k dependant on online presence.

Then after than. Rats and mice. Dudes will be lucky to scrape a living and will rely on other forms of supplementary income.
Equipment might be provided, maybe travel costs. Sometimes just discounted kites......

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:40 pm

complete out of this world.

Few riders had great contracts, Gisela Pulido earned most probably the most of all.

Nick hopefully got paid a lot for jumping Bush Al Arab in Dubai...

The last rider with a "lot of money" from a company was Youri Zoon with about 100k from Best...he got injured quickly...pretty sure didn't get all of this money.

Since then, no big money for any rider in the past years.

Look at the numbers I posted...that comes closer to truth than your numbers...maybe few riders got sme out of the industry sponsors who add a bit more, but not a lot.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:10 am

I'm talking all forms of income added up from all sponsorship deals and online influencing boolarks.

Hey, i could be wildly out. That's why it was an unfounded guess.

In my mind, $100k is not top money. That is reasonable money for a skilled job. If the top pro's arent netting $100k+ including all endorsement deals, online presents etch then its a pretty damn pathetic sport to be a pro in.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:16 am

Matt_TYRCZ wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:09 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
you are crazy !!!
probably even kite company CO dosent make this kind of money !

plummet wrote:
He's my unfounded guess.

The top 10 dudes like Kevin, Aaron, Nick will be making $200-$300k plus travel/accom etc
The next tear down. maybe top 10-20 will be $60-$100k dependant on online presence.

Then after than. Rats and mice. Dudes will be lucky to scrape a living and will rely on other forms of supplementary income.
Equipment might be provided, maybe travel costs. Sometimes just discounted kites......
Why they hell wouldnt a major kite company ceo make $300k? They are doing something very wrong if they are running a world wide distribution network for a premium brand and aren't netting a good $200k +. Hell the kite designer will be sitting on $100k easy. Business development managers $120-150k.

There's money to be had in business and the news flash is they aren't doing it for free.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:17 am

plummet wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:10 am
I'm talking all forms of income added up from all sponsorship deals and online influencing boolarks.

Hey, i could be wildly out. That's why it was an unfounded guess.

In my mind, $100k is not top money. That is reasonable money for a skilled job. If the top pro's arent netting $100k+ including all endorsement deals, online presents etch then its a pretty damn pathetic sport to be a pro in.
It is pretty bad especially when you compare it to surfing where guys are on millions of dollars a year. Kai Lenny earns well over a million dollars a year. I guess for various reasons there is simply not alot of money in Kitesurfing - the market is very competitive so manufacturers do not have alot of spare money to spend on professional riders.

The best indicator to me of the financial health of the Kitesurf industry is probably at the retail level. Most kitesurf shops I have been to seem to be struggling to stay afloat. I have been to surf shops that are obviously making a decent profit.
Last edited by UKSurf on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:41 am, edited 5 times in total.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:19 am

I was thinking that he should make a reasonable income from his YouTube videos, in that he has a couple hundred of them, with a sum of several million views and 50,000 or so subscribers, and for me at least I find his videos that most fun of the ‘big’ riders. But if you look at the figures it would seem that from YouTube he’s probably lucky to get a few thousand dollars a year.

kiteswede
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Göteborg
Gear: F-one kite

Postby kiteswede » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:25 am

Kevin Langeree Net Worth

Kevin Langeree's net worth has been growing significantly in 2019-20. So, how much is Kevin Langeree worth? What is Kevin's salary per year and how rich is He at the age of 31 years old? We have estimated Kevin Langeree net worth, money, income, and assets for 2019-20 below:

Kevin Langeree is a Surfer, who has a net worth of $1 Million - $5 Million at the age of 31 years old. Kevin Langeree’s income source is mostly from being a successful Surfer. He is from Netherlands. [Source: celebstrendnow.com, Forbes, Wikipedia & IMDB]

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:35 am

‘Net worth’ sites seem to attribute $16-$35 million to KL which would suggest similar earnings to other top sportsmen of the world, which I find hard to believe but fair play to him if it’s true....
These users thanked the author andylc for the post:
andrzej351 (Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:50 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:02 am

plummet wrote:
He's my unfounded guess.

Totally unfounded. There were maybe a very few making close to or around 100k usd a year in the very early years of the sport, but that only lasted maybe a couple years, and those guys were working very hard, and that figure is probably an exaggerated estimate of the sum total of all their hard work, including all promotional deals, videos, etc. Guys like Elliot Leboe, Maruico Abreu, maybe Lou, and hell, I'm so bad at names I forget the rest... But that's just about all of 'em.

No doubt the "behind the scenes" guys did much better. Of course there's Robby Naish, but he was already a legend and when kitesurfing came around he attacked the market on all possible fronts, I doubt the income he made from actually riding a kiteboard could really be counted as anything significant.

Red Bull at some point was dumping tons of money into the sport in a campaign which apparently was very effective; free samples to any participants, delivered by good looking girls. At one point I went to "King of the ice" or something like that on lake Minnetonka in Minnesota... And "King of the air" or "King of the Great Lakes" in Grand Haven, Michigan...

But once they determined they had saturated this niche market, aside from "King of the air" in Hawaii, Red Bull's marketers were smart enough to move on to bigger and better things.
Last edited by Trent hink on Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:15 am

An indicator of how much money is in the sport is the prize money of world cups.

Not much right? Well, there is your answer how much money there is in the sport.

1-5 million for Kevin? Such a BS. Maybe if he inherited the same amount ! But never from Kiting.

Return to “Kitesurfing”