Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

The perfect Surfer - Electric - Car ?

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:53 pm

I started the same topic in the German Forum:
http://forum.oase.com/showthread.php?t=177353

As I have seen some interest I opened it also here.

It is meant to be a question to all who already know an electric car that fits the demands of surfers in general, which for sure means first to have quite some space even if most actual electric cars are quite small. To start, here some examples:

My self I actually use a Zero: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV
Kitejunkies-Zero-Trunk.jpg
and since I have it I don't use my VW T5 Bus anymore, even if we have winter actually. For its very small size (3,5 x 1,5 x 1,6 m; I would categorise it as "Piko-Van" :wink: ) it is big enough to store two assambled foilboards inside while keeping the co-drivers seat in normal position, which also can be made completely flat to reach around 2,6 m board length! For those who love longboards. :wink:

But even if I feel more and more compfortable, it is just meant as temporary solution, till what I feel could become best surfer electric car:

It is a by a very young group of germans actually developed solar - electric - car with since 2 years two concept prototypes on tour and two close to serial prototypes in development. Release not before 2022:
https://sonomotors.com

They actuall ask for preorders which can include at about 33% of advanced payment to get part of the community of owners of the manufacturer. But their international / english communication is not so good, so if you have any question, I may answer it.

And last but not least this have to be shown for sure, even if just an individual item, but for sure a very cool surfer bus:

So what is your perfect surfer - electric - car, already or expected to be?

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: The perfect Surfer - Electric - Car ?

Postby elguapo » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:54 am

just wait for the tesla truck...
i wouldnt bother with anything with a tiny range.

spec wise... it has no peers (electric or internal combustion engines)
cost wise.. is highly competive to ICE

otherwise go for something like this..
however, i dont believe there is an electric version yet.

ralu81
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sherman island, Roosevelt park- gorge, Moriah Harbor-Great Exuma Bahamas, Little Sable Point Lake Michigan, Oscoda Lake Huron, Long Beach IN Lake Michigan, Escanaba, HWY 2 U.P. Michigan, Lake St. Clair, Harsen's Island, Tawas.
Gear: Slingshot RPM
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas

Postby ralu81 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:05 am

Personally fully electric vehicles aren’t quit there yet for my families needs, but they’re much closer. I personally would wait for the Rivian Truck or SUV. Seems like it’s tech is legit with Ford buying in and they look a hell of a lot better than the Tesla.

Kozzie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: brighton
Style: freestyle

Postby Kozzie » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:41 am

Chooo choo bitches

Attachments
images (69).jpeg
images (69).jpeg (77.59 KiB) Viewed 2087 times

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:54 am

Kozzie wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:41 am
Chooo choo bitches

The only beach that may go near isn't that good, although people kite there. Doesn't look like there's a stop anywhere near it though.

If it's anything like my local beach, you could spend two hours riding trains and buses and walking to get there ... or just take a 15 minutes drive door-to-door.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:11 pm

elguapo wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:54 am
I think it is really good to have Tesla doing this "cyber truck thing" as I think it is the first step to get those 90% of Ford F-150 users, who just don't need such a tank in the first step to something different and then hopefully in the next step to something reasonable, fullfilling their real demands.

My impression is when people talk about electric cars, you often hear that they are afraid about the range. But I think 99% of those being afraid just never used an electric car, lets say at least not more than for a week or so. To handle range is just something you get used to and for sure you also get the feeling what can be done and what not. But there are many ways you can handle long range actually and in the future, without buying a Tesla tank with a 1 ton battery.

Just one example (as we somehow started to talk about trains aswell):

In Germany a few years ago the German Railway "DB" dropped there offer for car by train travels. Happily the Austrian Railway and others bought their waggons and stations and restarted the service. I used this service several times in the last year. So if you have an electric car with just 200 km of range and you want to go with your car those 800 km from Munic in Germans South to Hamburg at the North Coast, to catch some Waves :wink:, as I often do. You not necessarily need to calculate 3-4 extra charging stops with 4 x 0,5 h so 2 hours, which is not such a big problem when getting used to it (you can write Kitforum comments in this time ... no I am actually not charging :wink: :lol: )
But you just can drive your car on the waggon in the evening in Munic go to slep in another waggon and wake up with out any stress in Hamburg in the next morning with a still full charged car on the waggon ready for the last km.

Ok just one more example:
A small French start up actually testing their preserial product:

this small trailer should be available for rental with gasoline or batteries aswell but does not have those classic trailer disadvantages especially when parking just check their very cool video:

More info at:
http://eptender.com/en/

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:19 pm

The VW Crafter electric has been on the market for some time now. I'd love to have one, but it is far too expensive (for me).

HugoMC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolly
Style: Freeride
Gear: Gaastra Pure :)

Postby HugoMC » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:40 pm

Mitsubishi Outlander electric plug in maybe? I certainly would be trading in my diesel van though 👎

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:20 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:11 pm
elguapo wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:54 am

My impression is when people talk about electric cars, you often hear that they are afraid about the range. But I think 99% of those being afraid just never used an electric car, lets say at least not more than for a week or so. To handle range is just something you get used to and for sure you also get the feeling what can be done and what not. But there are many ways you can handle long range actually and in the future, without buying a Tesla tank with a 1 ton battery.

imo, if you are thinking of buying an EV that does not at LEAST have the range of the equivalent ICE car..... don't.
you will regret it.
there is a reason there are so many BMW idrives sitting around unused
https://www.westernjournal.com/californ ... -dont-use/

range ...and speed of charge.... of an electric vehichle..are both critical.
the Li batteries tesla uses are not as idiot proof as the LiFePo4 used on boats...but their battery management system is frankly gold..
they open sourced their battery chem...but iirc not their BMS (which is most important part imo)

tl;dr version--> you'll only be using 50-80% of those stated ranges...and only in ideal driving conditions. (personally, i'd want to max the range)

i do admit a tesla truck with 500 mile range may not be most appropriate for european cities...

maybe for dense city or around-the-block type travel...why no just use a one wheel?
Last edited by elguapo on Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:00 pm

Lack of autonomy kills the EV in its current state, industry wide.
Diesel on the other hand, will still power the EU even after they phase it out of car use entirely.
I could buy a load of diesel and run my house cars and boat for over a year. Probably two.
If I took a year off and sailed around the world, my 5000 gallons of diesel would still be waiting for me.
Same if the power went down in a hurricane for a few weeks. No problem.
If there is an emergency at my brother’s house 400 miles away I can drive out there, deal with it, refuel in 10 minutes and roll another 400 miles.
When EV can compete, I will be interested.
That battery buggy tender is cute.
I wonder how long it will take for a tesla truck to get a large genset and 1-200 gal diesel tank installed in the bed...

Return to “Kitesurfing”