Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The perfect Surfer - Electric - Car ?

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: The perfect Surfer - Electric - Car ?

Postby Laughingman » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:06 pm

ralu81 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:05 am
Personally fully electric vehicles aren’t quit there yet for my families needs, but they’re much closer. I personally would wait for the Rivian Truck or SUV. Seems like it’s tech is legit with Ford buying in and they look a hell of a lot better than the Tesla.
I have a M3 Tesla AWD LR, I can say without a doubt it certainly fills our needs and my wife and I both commute over 100km each way to work. In fact, I think long range electric cars are the commuters dream... we often fight over who gets to take the M3...
We have not used the M3 for kiting but I can honestly say that it would suit pretty well... The truck space is sufficient and the seats fold down, we could easily pack our gear in there and with a range of 500km there are not many places we could not get to for a day trip.
My advice to people thinking about EV's, just do it, and go all the way, get the biggest baddest full electric car/truck/van you can find with the best range and you will be happy, DO NOT BY HYBRIDS....or you will get the best of both worlds LOL you get the repairs and maintenance of an ICE vehicle with the cost of two engines... and count on installing an 11kw charger at your home, otherwise you are at the mercy of infrastructure that is still going through growing pains.
The cybertruck as ugly as it is would be perfect as a kite vehicle, I have no doubt it not only would excel at this but would also fit into any families routines.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:25 pm

M3
In the words of the great Gretel Tunaburger,
“How Dare You!”

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:15 pm

BWD wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:25 pm
M3
“How Dare You!”

not bad performance for a minivan..
;-)

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:22 pm

I have a Chevy Bolt (I think it was supposed to be available in Europe as the Opel Ampera-e but had very limited availability). It's a bit small to use as a surf car, but if you're just one person, you can fold the back seat down and then it works fine, you can even fit a fully assembled foil in the back.

The range is a little bit short for road-tripping in it, and I can see where it wouldn't work for certain kinds of trips (i.e., you probably wouldn't want to drive it from Munich to Southern Italy to Tarifa over the summer), but it will work great for going to all the local spots within an hour drive from home.

I think the kite road trip is less popular in the US than in Europe anyway, because some of the spots are so far apart. To go from the west coast spots to the east coast spots is thousands of miles. Even going to the gulf coast spots in Texas is really far. From where I live, it's easier to drive to kite spots in Canada than most of the rest of the US.

mr-markus
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Netherlands Maasvlakte,Rockanje
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Ozone R1V3 19m,
Gin Spirit 15, Gin Spirit 12,Gin Instinct HB 10, Gin Spirit 10, Ten Velox 8m, Ten Velox 10m, Vantage Vulture 7, Moses Fluente, Crazy Fly Chill, Lieuwe Shotgun ,Flysurfer Radical 7 and lots and lots other things.
Brand Affiliation: myself

Postby mr-markus » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:39 pm

Bought me a Kia E-Niro last year and its a perfect car for my needs and gear. got me a tow bar also but only for vertical loads and put a cargobox on it. works like a charm.
Attachments
Box.jpg large.jpg
Box.jpg large.jpg (34.08 KiB) Viewed 1317 times

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:51 pm

mr-markus wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:39 pm
Bought me a Kia E-Niro last year and its a perfect car for my needs and gear. got me a tow bar also but only for vertical loads and put a cargobox on it. works like a charm.
which carbobox do yall use?
(big enough for kite gear)

mr-markus
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Netherlands Maasvlakte,Rockanje
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Ozone R1V3 19m,
Gin Spirit 15, Gin Spirit 12,Gin Instinct HB 10, Gin Spirit 10, Ten Velox 8m, Ten Velox 10m, Vantage Vulture 7, Moses Fluente, Crazy Fly Chill, Lieuwe Shotgun ,Flysurfer Radical 7 and lots and lots other things.
Brand Affiliation: myself

Postby mr-markus » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:55 pm

got me the one from the picture, MFT systems. my 2 kites,pump,2 wetsuits,harness and a 134x41 board is an easy fit. the side bulbs are optional so you can take ski and snowboards with you. for more stuff i putt the backseats down and have a lot of space too.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:29 pm

@elguapo:
Well, aren't drag races so round about 1950 ? :D
But what ever you like and no don't know US infrastructural situation if you need a truck to pass roads then go for it, just in Europe I agree that you might get traped in many historic cities with those Tesla Tanks. :wink:

P.S. Used quite some times a big Model S from a friend who has it since early 2015 and also done 700 km oneway trips with him and liked it. But even if I have to do the same trips not sure yet if so much capazity will be my solution, but sometimes looking for the actuall prices of the smalles S models going down.

@tkaraszewski
Yes Ampera-e had limited success in Europe and now the stopped it. Also don't know why, can't be that it was optimised for one phase AC while German uses 3-phase with limitation to 4,6 kW asymmetric load which should normaly still be enough for home loading, with my small one I am even happy with 3,6 kW.

@mr-markus
Looks good will have a look at it and nice idea with the box in the back.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:09 pm

elguapo wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:15 pm
BWD wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:25 pm
M3
“How Dare You!”

not bad performance for a minivan..
;-)
Yes, drag racing is just as practical as a status symbol that dies when the power goes out.

Goavegas
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Grado
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Tarifa ,
Gear: Cabrinha FX 10 - 8 X-Caliber

Postby Goavegas » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:05 pm

Now i don't want to be picky but Most of Germany electricity is produced by burning coal,does this make an electric car cleaner ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”