Kite Snorkeling - lets talk about it!

Forum for kitesurfers
knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite Snorkeling - lets talk about it!

Postby knotwindy » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:12 pm

pj sofine wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:08 pm
I would ditch the mask and snorkel. Cut a hole in an old surfboard and replace with a piece of plexi !
Couple of years ago there was an SUP made this way. Can’t remember the name but if you look around, maybe find one?

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:44 pm

Greenturtle wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:06 am
Have you ever gone out kiting and stopped at the reef or wreck or wherever and put on a mask to look in for a while? If so post your experience here! Tips and tricks appreciated!!!

Ive had a good time occasionally taking a mask with me while kiting, as an excellent way to access reef areas, stopping and putting on the mask to look in, and even getting towed along nicely by the kite.

I pretty much ride out and stop at an interesting spot, put on the mask and body/board drag along with my face underwater. When the wind angle happens to be good for following the reef its been especially awesome.

I put the mask around my neck when up and riding. Ive used mask/snorkel if going out specifically to snorkel, otherwise Ive just carried a mask around my neck for an occasional stop and look see.

Ive body dragged letting the board trail along holding it near the tip with one hand and steering the kite with the other. And also board dragged using the board to gain edge and go where I want to see all the better. Either way it was awkward at first but quickly became easier to find a fairly comfortable position.

***It has occurred to me that it would technically be possible to use a tt as a submarine board (like you can behind a boat with a piece of plywood) to gain dive-ability-super-powers but to do so while kite powered is already superhuman. If anyone out there has done it, you are an official kite snorkeling maniac.
Please tell us all about it!!!
I thought about doing this when I lived on Oahu and was kiting Kailua Bay all the time. I had only been considering taking a pair of goggles out around my neck, then stopping over a couple of spots that seemed interesting and just taking a look at what I might see. I never did get around to it, but the idea always seemed interesting. Sort of like those underwater "scooters" that divers can use to cover more distance and see more stuff. Of course, it also occurs to me that maybe I wouldn't want to see everything that's down there. :wink:

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:55 pm

I have tried it a few times over the years. Impact vests don't help the process or even a floaty seat harness. It is interesting in concept, trickier in implementation.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:46 pm

RickI wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:55 pm
I have tried it a few times over the years. Impact vests don't help the process or even a floaty seat harness. It is interesting in concept, trickier in implementation.
Ha ha! You were the one person that I would've expected to have done this already, RickI! :lol:

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:15 am

next time anyone goes to gran cayman island...
have a local take you to the launch for riding north sound (is a little tricky to find..and maybe trickier launch)

however...
if you can keep a good track upwind( on a foil)..... you'll reach a sandbar before the reef.
and these guys are waiting for you...

(stingray city)

hardly anyone kites the caymans except the superfriendly locals... but is pretty cool there

CorradoWest
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: X
Gear: Naish/North
Has thanked: 0

Postby CorradoWest » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:46 am

I always figured that putting on some polarized glasses and kiting out to a reef (or near a kelp bed) was a good way to check visibility. If good vis, kite back to shore, grab the freediving gear and swim out and hunt for fish for tacos!

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:40 am

CorradoWest wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:46 am
I always figured that putting on some polarized glasses and kiting out to a reef (or near a kelp bed) was a good way to check visibility. If good vis, kite back to shore, grab the freediving gear and swim out and hunt for fish for tacos!
Yessir take mask with you on the kite tour to efficiently scout a few spots out in better detail before committing to head back there for the hunt! Slock a lingcod for me, I miss those blue fleshed dragons, and all the other fantastic west coast fish.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:55 am

Just getting down to 10 ft. was a major pain in the butt. If you rigged for it, no flotation, sources of excess drag, used long lines, perhaps even used a hand plane to aid diving in adequate wind, it might work out. Trolling on the surface is easy, diving for depth harder to do.
SENDIT! wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:46 pm
RickI wrote:
Ha ha! You were the one person that I would've expected to have done this already, RickI! :lol:
These users thanked the author RickI for the post:
Greenturtle (Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:32 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:17 am

RickI wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:55 am
Just getting down to 10 ft. was a major pain in the butt. If you rigged for it, no flotation, sources of excess drag, used long lines, perhaps even used a hand plane to aid diving in adequate wind, it might work out. Trolling on the surface is easy, diving for depth harder to do.
SENDIT! wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:46 pm
RickI wrote:
Oh man you actually went for depth!?!!! And achieved 10ft!?! Dude. you rock.
Im imagining steering the kite bar with teeth, while putting arms through footstraps of tt with hands grasping edge of board and using it as the plane. Insanity of course :o
Ive only ever trolled along surface like you say and never really thought diving intentionally while kiting would be something anyone would try. Well done

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:07 pm

With my normal kiting rig out, getting to a measly 10 feet took a great deal of work. I have been looking for gear lost from the capsized dive boat when I saw a regulator on the bottom which I had to pick up to take back to the people. I’m used to dropping down free diving routinely to 70 to 110 feet with a sit on top dive scooter so this was a bit of a letdown. Still I think I could do better if I worked at it.

Another fun thing to do which could seriously mess you up if things went wrong, is body surfing under kite power.

Return to “Kitesurfing”