Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Theft Story? Tell Yours

Forum for kitesurfers
jannik
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Theft Story? Tell Yours

Postby jannik » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:27 pm

Just yesterday - backdoor window smashed and jacket stolen along with phone and wallet. Luckily they didn't take my 1 day old Flysurfer Soul 7 and my friends Core kite in the trunk 😨.

I could follow the phone via gps for a while but the police didn't want to use that information.

All they got was a cheap locked Xiaomi phone and a bunch of locked credit cards.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:46 am

jannik wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:27 pm
I could follow the phone via gps for a while but the police didn't want to use that information.
I found it odd the few times that I've had interaction with the police and they seem to have not been interested in ever even finding stolen property.

And on that note, while I've never actually had anything kite related stolen yet, I did have a police officer really try to hassle and find something to "get me in the system" with.

I was kiting on private land and was close to a road. I must have made a driver on the road nervous, because someone called the police on me and the sheriff showed up. He flagged me down and I kited it over to him and he asked me, "Do you have permission to be here?" I told him no, I did not. Then he said, "so you are tresspassing?" And I said no sir, I am not trespassing. And there is no physical barrier preventing me from entering this property, nor is it posted no trespassing, nor have I been asked to leave by the owner, owner's agent, or leassee.

At that, he looked pissed that he could not get me to admit to doing something which I was not doing. So he then asked where my vehicle was and I pointed across the county line which was the road on which he was parked and had no jurisdiction in. Given that he had not gotten me to admit to something, he had no grounds to go outside of his jurisdiction to search my vehicle. So then he told me I had to leave, which even though under the law I could come back since he is not the owner or the owner's agent, I still had to leave at that time.

If you are ever snowkiting private land with or without permission, make sure you know the local laws regarding trespassing. And make sure you never admit to anything that a police officer tries to get you to admit. And they are very very good at it.

Also I would suggest never kiting on family-owned farm ground without permission. Family-owned farm ground is very easy to get in contact with the owner and get permission, or be denied permission to be on. Once you have been denied permission or asked to leave, never go back to that location and make sure no other kiter goes back to that location also. Most of the places that I was kiting on without permission were bank-owned or real estate / developer or out of state owner commercial development land. That type of land is a little more difficult to even get in contact with anyone who could give you permission. And be sure to always know your local laws regarding trespassing. In the US, different states have different statues. So my experience would not have worked in some place like Idaho, we're trespassing laws are much more strict.

Avoiding theft by law enforcement is important to. We know they don't activly help to get our gear back, and they're usually looking to use this as a revenue generation source. So be careful in these situations, as dealing with law enforcement can sometimes be worse than dealing with Crooks who you never have to see again.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:21 am

jannik wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:27 pm
Just yesterday - backdoor window smashed and jacket stolen along with phone and wallet. Luckily they didn't take my 1 day old Flysurfer Soul 7 and my friends Core kite in the trunk 😨.

All they got was a cheap locked Xiaomi phone and a bunch of locked credit cards.
The only time I've had a kite-related theft was similar. The thief got into my car at a kite beach parking lot by prying out a window to get to the door lock, and then proceeded to steal an iPod shuffle (worth maybe $75) and some pocket change. Thankfully, the thief left 3-4 new kites and a board (total value maybe $2,500) after rummaging through everything. Most of these people want (1) money and (2) electronics (easy to sell). They probably don't even know how much kite equipment is worth. :-?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:24 am

Just this weekend back home, one of the guys had his car broken into and all his gear stolen.

Someone spotted it on Facebook Marketplace this morning -- 2019 kites, 19, 15, 12, 10m -- all four for $1000.

The balls on these pieces of shit :angryfire:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:35 am

Havre wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:48 am
Yeah. Japan is on another level when it comes to these kind of things.
Yeah, but they have other issues... wife dropped her wallet, some old bastard found it and wasn't going to give it back and was threatening her, unless she gave him money. The cops were like, "yeah well he's entitled to a reward, or a percentage of the contents". I said he's welcome to a percentage of the overdraft on the credit card, or the 10% of the $1.27 that was in there.

Apparently the reward thing is SOP.

When she told the story at her office, a co-worker of hers said he had the cash for a school trip to buy plane tickets in his briefcase. Sitting down on the train, he put it beside himself, then when he went to stand up, the passenger next to him had grabbed the back and said that he'd found it and was entitled to a percentage of the contents...! Can't remember the outcome of that...

...then there's these assholes: https://japantoday.com/category/feature ... y-warnings

fzonatto
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: Guriu
Style: freeride
Gear: north rebel

Postby fzonatto » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:56 pm

Well i am from Brasil and here u know that u just dont leave any equipament in your car... or the car parked in some places... many many friends already lost gear...

kiteregapp
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kiteregapp » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:46 pm

I´ve developed a App !! A very simple App that works as a Kite Register Database. "KiteReg" is the name. Android and iOS versions.
The goal is everybody puts their Serial Number and Personal Data in the App. And on the other hand when someone wishs buying a Used Kite, go to the App and search by Serial Number looking if the kite is marked as Stolen/Not.
I am improving some things when I have free time. So, if you find a bug or have some tip, please feel free to send me a email.
The app is in English or Portuguese languages.
Depends on us "spread" this idea. If it works as a "kite networking" I can make a lot of improvements.

Thanks.

dragnfly
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool/ St Annes. New Brighton (UK)
Favorite Beaches: UK - Rhosneigr. New Brighton, Blackrock Sands.
Non UK - Dakhla.
Style: FS80% WS15% Strapless5%
Gear: Cabrinha FX 12,9 & SB 7m, Drifter 5m
Crazyfly Raptor ltd 136 2018 (best board ever!)
Slingshot Screamer

Postby dragnfly » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:27 pm

Not so much a theft story - but a conman tale.

A few years ago now I bought 2 kites from a well known kite forum, from a guy selling both kites together.

In a moment of stupidity, I bought the kites and transferred the money by bank transfer.

No kites ever arrived, and the seller never responded to my messages after the payment had gone through.

I managed to trace the seller through his bank details (he used a false name on the forum) - and after about 12 months and a court hearing, he did repay the money he had scammed me out of - Yay! It was bloody stressful though.

He is now sponsored by Peter Lynn kites!! I shan't be buying one of those!

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:56 pm

dragnfly wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:27 pm
I managed to trace the seller through his bank details (he used a false name on the forum) - and after about 12 months and a court hearing, he did repay the money he had scammed me out of - Yay! It was bloody stressful though.

He is now sponsored by Peter Lynn kites!! I shan't be buying one of those!
Did you tell the management at PL , about that story ? It's not fair to PL
that you won't buy from them , without a least telling them , the Why !
If you can prove that story ; i bet PL would fire the guy ; and that might
make the stress you had , a bit less painful.

Bille
These users thanked the author Bille for the post:
Nak (Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:28 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Aleza
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 75
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 9m, Pivot 12m S28, Ozone Zephyr

Postby Aleza » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:15 pm

Fuerteventura, flag beach, 27.01.2023: perfect wind to boost with a 12m. I went kiting for 1h and I left my new Pivot S27 (2023) 9m in the car. The short session was epic! But unfortunately, in the meanwhile, a thief broke in my car and stole the 9, together with an old jacket and some documents (why???).
End of the vacation and end of the story. No happy ending 😢.

Return to “Kitesurfing”