Gear: _
Liquid Force
NV 5 7 8 9 12 13.5 15
NRG 10
Brand Affiliation: mars bars

Gorge - just moved from long island sound

Postby Jamesconn300 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:36 pm

Hello Pacific Northwest,

I just moved from new england with my gf of 6 years to Oregon/Washington. Living across the bridge in Vancouver WA.

I convinced her to move here because I was fed up with variable terrible gusty fronty conditions back on long island sound - also cost of living is a third here and no state income tax.
Also, her program is a fraction of price and we are paying own way.

Its a high of 50 degrees today - Anybody kite when it's this warm at the gorge, i assume so...

Anybody on here downhill ski or snowboard? My kite gear skis and snowboard get here on Wend.

I got a ski touring set up to climb mt hood, seems to be dumping on the mtn. I have no idea what I'm doing so I will prob take an avalanche class.

Anyone on here live in portland or area that Kite, Ski and/or Snowboard? Any alpine touring or split boarding? Looking for a friend lol.

Im 27yo, not looking for any 80 year old grampa kiting pals. Had way to many of those back home. Literally no one younger than 40, made the hang after and before sessions different. :jump:

Apologies for the self-serving post, I understand this post will be of value to me alone, probably.
thanks, everyone.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: GORGE - just moved from long island sound

Postby knotwindy » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:47 pm

If you haven’t yet, make sure you get on nwkite.com for all PNW info.
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post:
Jamesconn300 (Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:53 pm)
Rating: 10%

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: GORGE - just moved from long island sound

Postby purdyd » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:47 pm

These users thanked the author purdyd for the post:
Jamesconn300 (Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:54 pm)

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Prodigy, 9.5m Prodigy, 12m Prodigy , 12m Flite, 17m Flite. Crazyfly Raptor Pro Neon, Shinnster,
Mako Duke.

Re: Gorge - just moved from long island sound

Postby matth » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:22 pm

Jamesconn300 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:36 pm
Hello Pacific Northwest,

I just moved from new england with my gf of 6 years to Oregon/Washington. Living across the bridge in Vancouver WA.

I convinced her to move here because I was fed up with variable terrible gusty fronty conditions back on long island sound - also cost of living is a third here and no state income tax.
Also, her program is a fraction of price and we are paying own way.

Its a high of 50 degrees today - Anybody kite when it's this warm at the gorge, i assume so...

Anybody on here downhill ski or snowboard? My kite gear skis and snowboard get here on Wend.

I got a ski touring set up to climb mt hood, seems to be dumping on the mtn. I have no idea what I'm doing so I will prob take an avalanche class.

Anyone on here live in portland or area that Kite, Ski and/or Snowboard? Any alpine touring or split boarding? Looking for a friend lol.

Im 27yo, not looking for any 80 year old grampa kiting pals. Had way to many of those back home. Literally no one younger than 40, made the hang after and before sessions different. :jump:

Apologies for the self-serving post, I understand this post will be of value to me alone, probably.
thanks, everyone.

I kite in Mass, Boston area and Cape Cod and we get lots of beautiful steady winds, thermals in the summer and anything from the East is usually silky smooth...

Long Island Sound is not know for great wind.....Long Island Atlantic side is a different story...
Last edited by matth on Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; SPI; La Ventana
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, SST 5m, Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/91/105cm masts with 590/330 695/425 683s/450 wingsets, Tim's 36" "woody", Slingshot Micro 3'6", MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot SST 6m 2018 $480, Slingshot RPM 11m 2018 $600, Core XR4 10m $900, Core XR4 13.5m $980, Core XR4 17m $1075, Slingshot Turbine 5m 2017 like new $450, BROkite carbon board 140x44cm like new complete $650, Slingshot Rally 6m 2017 like new $530, 2019 Slingshot Guardian 17" brand new $260, 2018 Slingshot Guardian 20" bar $190

Postby grigorib » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:24 pm

Jamesconn300 wrote:
That’s not a nice thing to say, not at all

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Prodigy, 9.5m Prodigy, 12m Prodigy , 12m Flite, 17m Flite. Crazyfly Raptor Pro Neon, Shinnster,
Mako Duke.

Postby matth » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:30 pm

grigorib wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:24 pm
Jamesconn300 wrote:
That’s not a nice thing to say, not at all

Most 27 year olds are busting their humps getting educated or building a financial future....that's why it's mostly an older crowd on the water.. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BWD
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby BWD » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:49 pm

Good luck out there.
Do remember, major development work to make kiting possible happened in the gorge, and most of the players were older then, than you are now.
Basically, you have 30-50 year olds to thank for kiting. The sport was invented by guys in that age bracket, most of whom had already windsurfed/surfed for 20 years.
Of course, all that is 20+ years ago now. Still, you will see more boring old people on the water than kids, like anywhere else. Kids are in school, working worse hours, etc.

Also, some (probably all) of those old guys know shit you don't.
How old was Tony Logosz when he started Slingshot, for example?
Did you know that was almost a second career, after shaping windsurfers for a good while?

Anyway, don't fall for the ok boomer meme. If you are young and kite, you are an aspiring boomer yourself.
Otherwise it's all video games and gender of the week club with your age group, right?

Have fun in the NW, don't poke the bear.
These users thanked the author BWD for the post:
Jamesconn300 (Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:23 pm)

ELI
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Postby ELI » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:52 pm

James,You found Vancouver to be 1/3 the cost of CT? LI? on the sound ? Could you be clear ,looking myself for a additional option. I can't make the cut for you to hang with . I can keep up with most or exceed with time on the water and skill ,but I'm not a dangler .
These users thanked the author ELI for the post:
Jamesconn300 (Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:16 pm)

oregonkiter
Medium Poster
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff
Has thanked: 0

Postby oregonkiter » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:32 pm

"Im 27yo, not looking for any 80 year old grampa kiting pals. Had way to many of those back home. Literally no one younger than 40, made the hang after and before sessions different."

Maybe don't post on nwkite...

Signed,
57 year old kiter and skier that hopes to be shredding at 80 and beyond like several in this area do. Much respect!!!!
These users thanked the author oregonkiter for the post:
grigorib (Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:12 pm)

Jamesconn300
Rare Poster
Local Beach: North America
Gear: _
Liquid Force
NV 5 7 8 9 12 13.5 15
NRG 10
Brand Affiliation: mars bars

Postby Jamesconn300 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:14 pm

Hey All,

I was trolling with that last piece and thought my sarcasm was clear, and I apologize if offended anyone. It is true, I am only kitesurfing in the first place because of my father and he only was windsurfing because his dad exposed him to basic dingy sailing a few times. Look dudes, I have a serious appreciation for the previous generations that invented the gear and took the risks.

My best times kiting yet were with dudes in their 80s... My neighbor back home is a grandfather with multiple grandchildren, and we shared most of my sessions plus he taught me so much.

Don't get it twisted boomers, I know you all have much more ability and technique now than I probably will ever have. :rollgrin:
These users thanked the author Jamesconn300 for the post:
knotwindy (Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:39 am)

Return to “Kitesurfing”