Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiting alone

Forum for kitesurfers
JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kiting alone

Postby JakeFarley » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:48 pm

Jamesconn300 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:11 am
Try to avoid going out before dusk, if anything breaks or something happens, its a shitty feeling knowing sun is almost or is going down.
Also, at dusk the men in grey suits start coming out.

Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none

Postby Grizwald » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:00 pm

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
For those who kite with a phone, do you use a waterproof phone or put your regular phone in a bag. My last phone bit the dust when the waterproof bag did not live up to billing when I crashed.
FYI I never did get a response from the ezycut people as to whether their knives are rustproof.

I am not sure if it is bad form but I am going to post a follow up thread to this with a thought experiment. Again thank you to everyone who responded.

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:40 pm

The tide at one of the beaches where I kitesurf (See image) goes so far out at low tide, it’s really not safe to be on your own.
There have been times when I have arrived at the beach to find no other kitesurfer's either setting up or out on the water despite the forecasted wind speed and direction being spot on.
As much as I want to go kitesurfing I’m not taking the risk of being so far away from the beach and on my own.
From the beach, nobody would know if you’re in trouble assuming they even saw you.
Be safe...
Tide Out.JPG

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:10 am

Each to their own...

But in my eyes it does not matter how far "out" the water is, as if you get knocked out, you will drown anyways, quite fast and noone can help you.

Most often not even if friends are out too, as they wont be able to react.

As we never have many or any beachgoers in our country, when we are out, it doesnt matter - there is noone to help your, and even if, they wont have a chance to save you.

So if wind is onshore or sideon, I dont worry one bit being out alone - and have been doing this since 1978 (windsurfing before kitesurfing).

Only in tricky spots where you might drift over the "last stop" and away in the deep ocean, I dont kite alone far out, only close to the shore :naughty:

8) Peter

alunj
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Andulucia
Favorite Beaches: Viana , Fresh West, Le Morne
Style: Wave
Gear: Duotone, JP custom

Postby alunj » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:06 am

Good points from Peter ; I too have been often alone in 20 years of kite and windsurf before it

Anyway I have been playing with the fall detection on the Apple Watch . So far and very surprisingly it seems to cope with the forces of being on the water . It’s only triggered on really big wipeouts and of course if you are conscious you stop the countdown

For me it’s the biggest safety contribution to lone ridin since the advent of “bow” kites

Return to “Kitesurfing”