Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Bars with a long depower throw (60 cm)?

Forum for kitesurfers
Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board
Brand Affiliation: None

Bars with a long depower throw (60 cm)?

Postby Dave K » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:27 pm

So I wear a low seat harness (old back issues) and have pretty long arms. For kite foiling I really like using a bar with a long depower throw. It allows me to avoid having to use the trim strap all the time in gusty conditions. I end up in 15 to 30 mph conditions more than I’d like

The only way I’ve gotten a long throw so far is to take a Cabrinha “recoil” bar and cut off the spring, giving me a full 60 cm (23.6”) no-resistance throw. No problem regrabbing after a release.

My question is whether there are any bars out there that don’t require a mod/hack to get somewhere around 60 cm of bar throw?? Didn’t see anything in a quick search. Thanks for any advice!

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Re: Bars with a long depower throw (60 cm)?

Postby foilholio » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:38 pm

There is a few bars out there like that. There is also many bars far easier to mod with just a longer depower rope. Overall you will be better building something custom. The chickenloop uses up a lot of space, such a silly thing it is. Have a search and look at ideas here.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:48 pm

Take a look at the Ocean Rodeo Shift bar. Looks like it has a very long throw...If you go to their site and use the chat feature I'm sure they can tell you the distance..
Last edited by matth on Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:16 pm

If like me you have no chicken loop and also make your own trim lines then you can have as much throw as you want. If you want more throw then just make the steering lines longer by fitting longer pigtails then make a longer trim line to match.

I use Ozone V4 bars and on full power the total distance from bar to V is about 27" with about 6" of trim between V and top of cleat (which is about 3" long) so I effectively have 27-6-3" = 18".

But if I took out the cleat and had a fixed line I'd have 27" of course.
Last edited by iriejohn on Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:28 pm

One thing I don't get about you guys who get rid of the chicken loop and just have a release, is that you wind up putting a spacer above the release anyway. Some use knots, and some just have a fixed extra distance to make up for where the chicken loop would be.

Everyone I have asked in person about this explains that it is uncomfortable to be always using the kite with the bar so close to you where your arms are pretty much pointed downwards. Obviously it's more comfortable to have your arms out a little bit on the bar instead of right up against your body. So where is the benefit in getting rid of the chicken loop if you just make a spacer for that distance anyway?

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:51 pm

Liquid Force bars have long throw

jmach
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby jmach » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:18 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:28 pm
One thing I don't get about you guys who get rid of the chicken loop and just have a release, is that you wind up putting a spacer above the release anyway. Some use knots, and some just have a fixed extra distance to make up for where the chicken loop would be.

Everyone I have asked in person about this explains that it is uncomfortable to be always using the kite with the bar so close to you where your arms are pretty much pointed downwards. Obviously it's more comfortable to have your arms out a little bit on the bar instead of right up against your body. So where is the benefit in getting rid of the chicken loop if you just make a spacer for that distance anyway?
That's a very good point and question.
Initially the motivation to eliminate the chicken loop was probably a response to when only huge chicken loops were available to accommodate the relative few that unhooked, leaving the vast majority with a CL that was actually too large. It's great that many brands now offer a choice even though it means paying extra for something that used to be included.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:31 pm

Dave K wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:27 pm
So I wear a low seat harness (old back issues) and have pretty long arms. For kite foiling I really like using a bar with a long depower throw. It allows me to avoid having to use the trim strap all the time in gusty conditions. I end up in 15 to 30 mph conditions more than I’d like

The only way I’ve gotten a long throw so far is to take a Cabrinha “recoil” bar and cut off the spring, giving me a full 60 cm (23.6”) no-resistance throw. No problem regrabbing after a release.

My question is whether there are any bars out there that don’t require a mod/hack to get somewhere around 60 cm of bar throw?? Didn’t see anything in a quick search. Thanks for any advice!

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:03 pm

Dave K wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:27 pm

North click bar has 23” minus the width of the bar throw. I think if you took off the stopper you would get 60 cm

Either way it is a lot of adjustment length.

The board riding Maui looks good and so does the new Kauper bar.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:24 pm

Yes, check out the Shift Bar. I'm 6'1 and can adjust the throw to be so long that I can't reach the bar, even when I'm in a seat harness.

Return to “Kitesurfing”