Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Re-coating kite with Shoe Goo: incredibly easy and effective!

Forum for kitesurfers
nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Re: Re-coating kite with Shoe Goo: incredibly easy and effective!

Postby nixmatters » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:04 pm

apollo4000 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:37 pm
What do the factories use before they ship, is that not available? Tom Court’s always down the factory on his skateboard or Demi M. They’re on here...let’s ask em.

Oi Demi old son...Court Marshal...can we have a video on this stuff
2K solvent base PU coating. And/or silicone for foil kites nylon ripstop. Cured at ~120-140°C. And it's done by the cloth manufacturer (Teijin, etc), not by the kite factory. I'm just curious which of the aftermarket solutions people have tried come close to the original coating chemistry ;)
These users thanked the author nixmatters for the post:
apollo4000 (Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:18 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:37 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:19 am
I'd like to thank shoegoo for saving my bleeding feet when my skate shoes wore out and I had no $ for new ones! Nice hack.. filthy vocs in shoegoo and toluene is filth too so you need a full face mask with right filter cos it gets into your bloodstream through your eyeballs too...
True.
https://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=391&sectionid=42069965 wrote:The air levels considered immediately dangerous to life or health (IDLH) are 500 ppm for toluene and 900 ppm for xylene. Death has been reported after exposure to toluene at 1800–2000 ppm for 1 hour.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/safety-cent ... selection/
Xylene evaporates slower than Toulene (evaporates quick) so once it is in solution, you have more time to apply it :shake:
These users thanked the author PugetSoundKiter for the post:
alford (Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:17 am)

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:53 pm

nixmatters wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:50 pm
E6800 is UV resistant, while ShoeGoo TDS clearly states it is not.
"Amazing GOOP Marine has the same toughness, strength and versatility as our other GOOP products but is specially formulated to be UV resistant. "
http://eclecticproducts.com/amazing-goop-marine.html

I suspect that the only difference between the GOO versions and the E6 versions is that the latter is a bit runnier (more solvent). but that is just a guess.
These users thanked the author merl for the post:
nixmatters (Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:52 am)

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:09 am

merl wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:53 pm
nixmatters wrote:
"Amazing GOOP Marine has the same toughness, strength and versatility as our other GOOP products but is specially formulated to be UV resistant. "

I suspect that the only difference between the GOO versions and the E6 versions is that the latter is a bit runnier (more solvent). but that is just a guess.
Interesting stuff. Marine and Shoe Goo use Toluene as a solvent, E6000 and E6800 - Perchloroethylene. Some of the E6 formulations come in different viscosities.
Considering the temperature resistance
"fully cured adhesive can withstand temperatures from 40 to 180 °F (-40 to 82 °C) intermittently" none of these is synthetic rubber (like SBR what someone mentioned earlier here or in one of the other threads on this topic).

E6000PLUS is solvent free and looks very different from the rest. I would guess a different polymer.

Nor that I need to coat my kites, but I'm keen of getting several different ones and running some tests.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:25 am

nixmatters wrote:How about bias stretch?
It would make it stronger, as to reducing stretch I don't know but I would guess an improvement.
nixmatters wrote: I checked the other threads on this topic and noticed that E6800 is UV resistant, while ShoeGoo TDS clearly states it is not.
http://eclecticproducts.com/e6800-indus ... esive.html
Yes and there is some other versions that are "UV" resistant too. I believe they would like most products add something like maybe zinc to make it "UV" resistant. It is questionable given how thin this is applied to the kite fabric if there is much protection effect left. I would think as the depth of material increases so too does UV absorption. Due to a factor of the anti UV material concentration/dispersion. Molecular changes for UV resistance to the polymer would be better in many ways I think, but they would likely affect the other material properties.
nixmatters wrote: By chance that you know what the polymer base of ShoeGoo is? PU or synthetic rubber?
It should have been in that thread, plus all the answers to the other question being asked here now. It is SBR or styrene-butadiene rubber.
nixmatters wrote: E6800 - the marketing B/S statement "Tough – 2X stronger and 60X more flex than Polyurethane!", should mean it's not PU based. thanks
It is mostly correct and not BS. It must depend on what PU you are comparing too, but SBR is a quite strong and flexible material. It's main disadvantage is UV deterioration. PU is not good with UV either but silicone is excellent. There is many versions of these polymers. There is likely ones that are much better for kites than others, the one in shoe goo does seem good, but I have not used my kite long enough to give an answer of it's life time. For that PU is quite poor, silicone is good and what ever flysurfer is using now they are very confident of it's long lifespan. One big disadvantage of silicone is nearly nothing with stick to it. On my Pansh kites that all use silicone I can not glue small patches to it, which is a bit of a bummer. But silicone has lovely properties of no sand or water sticking to it. SBR is much the same but you can stick patches on it and it does seem to seal the fabric better and is stronger and more flexible, well at least till UV gets to it.

The E6000 has engineering data in that picture you posted so you can do any comparison you want...
nixmatters wrote:
apollo4000 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:37 pm
What do the factories use before they ship, is that not available? Tom Court’s always down the factory on his skateboard or Demi M. They’re on here...let’s ask em.

Oi Demi old son...Court Marshal...can we have a video on this stuff
2K solvent base PU coating. And/or silicone for foil kites nylon ripstop. Cured at ~120-140°C. And it's done by the cloth manufacturer (Teijin, etc), not by the kite factory. I'm just curious which of the aftermarket solutions people have tried come close to the original coating chemistry ;)
Yes the main ones are PU and Silicone, there has been others ,and saying that there is many variations to those polymers. I have often thought it would be better to coat foil kites in particular after they have been sewn up, but mass production does allow for coating easier after weaving the cloth. There could even be an option to coat the yarn and then bake the coating to spread it.

SBR far exceeds PU and silicone's material properties, except for silicone's UV resistance.
PugetSoundKiter wrote:
https://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=391&sectionid=42069965 wrote:The air levels considered immediately dangerous to life or health (IDLH) are 500 ppm for toluene and 900 ppm for xylene. Death has been reported after exposure to toluene at 1800–2000 ppm for 1 hour.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/safety-cent ... selection/
Xylene evaporates slower than Toulene (evaporates quick) so once it is in solution, you have more time to apply it :shake:
I believe this has been covered before, they are both quite toxic. There is differences in pathways to absorption I think. You are wise to read up on them both and be cautious. Evaporation is highly dependent on temperature as well.
merl wrote:
nixmatters wrote:

From what I could work out yes E6000 is just more thinned Goo. All the goo,goop and e6000s are essentially the same end product, some have an anti UV additive, some are thinner and some are thicker to apply. You can thin down shoe goo to be the same or thinner than e6000, I have and use it for some repairs.
nixmatters wrote: Interesting stuff. Marine and Shoe Goo use Toluene as a solvent, E6000 and E6800 - Perchloroethylene. Some of the E6 formulations come in different viscosities.
It may contain both. There are a few solvents for this stuff.
nixmatters wrote: "fully cured adhesive can withstand temperatures from 40 to 180 °F (-40 to 82 °C) intermittently" none of these is synthetic rubber (like SBR what someone mentioned earlier here or in one of the other threads on this topic).
I am certain it is SBR, I can find the documentation if you would like.
nixmatters wrote: E6000PLUS is solvent free and looks very different from the rest. I would guess a different polymer.
E6000 has been used to brand a variety of things which are not e6000 as far as I can tell. This is common marketing BS 101.
nixmatters wrote: Nor that I need to coat my kites, but I'm keen of getting several different ones and running some tests.
Some one did that already, if you do some reading. User Axel_lotta viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2392469&start=30 download/file.php?id=75009 search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&auth ... 0&start=10.

More data is usually always welcome though :-) Especially if you take more care for quality control than some "climate" "scientists"...

I would suggest anyone reading this thread to maybe read or skim through viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2392469 as most of this stuff has been covered before.

Thanks.
These users thanked the author foilholio for the post:
nixmatters (Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:41 am)

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:34 pm

If someone wants to look into this subject more it may be worth while seeing it there is an even better type of Elastomer for kite use. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastomer.

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Avro, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:29 am

My opinion is whilst sounds like a temporary fix I think when a kite gets to the stage the cloth is so porous then the rest of the kite is getting old too. Lines, wingtips, bladders, valves etc. Time for a new one, with the new technology, hopefully, and avoiding that epic fail a km or more offshore.

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:42 pm

maybe someone already tried with ripstop 8)

casper2002
Rare Poster
Gear: Ozone

Postby casper2002 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:40 pm

I wonder if that E6000Plus stuff can be used to make the process a little less unhealty/dangerous

Kitedicted
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Orbit 22 11/9

Postby Kitedicted » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:06 pm

Has anyone tried Nikwax tent and solar proof??

Return to “Kitesurfing”