Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Starting to Kiteloop - advice?

Postby dice » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:37 am

a99 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:09 am
All speaking about that heliloop must donw when kite are above you, but how to exactly know when it is above you head ? Always look up to kite possition with eyes or how ?
If you don't feel where the kite is yet, don't start kitelooping.
It comes with experience, it's one of the most important things to learn. Know where the kite is by feeling the bar only.

Eduardo wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:15 pm
Great idea to break it down! Don't be the guy who thinks you can do it the first time with just big enough balls. I assure you it can't be done the first time or everyone would do it...
It's not exactly rocket science. It could be done from the first time as long as you have the balls to dedicate from the start to the end.
But if you're not certain you'll have that dedication, breaking it down in smaller steps is the way to go. And you'll risk a lot less injuries too.
And with experience, you'll know what to do when it goes wrong to minimize the consequences.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:46 am

a99

The common mantra is: your eyes lead your head and that leads where you go. I mostly go along with that but when you are learning a new move using your eyes to spot critical stages in the move works for me. Then as you get the move down you use your eyes less and less and rely more on knowing the timing of the move, so called muscle memory! Eventually you only use your eyes to control body rotation and spot landings etc imho.

I think it is good to develope the ability to glance at the kite while in the air (allows you to assess oversheet etc), but you don't have to see the kite to know where it is! Just look at the lines, if tensioned they are pointing straight to it !!!!! Looking at the lines will help you develop the ability to feel where the kite is from the feel of the bar, as previously mentioned.

Regards Herman.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:39 pm

If the kite is directly overhead (which I find is a rare case) you can heliloop either way.
As always with jumps it is all about the takeoff. When you go into the jump be sure to send the kite past 12 by pulling harder or for longer or both, keep the bar sheeted in until you just pass the apex and then just as you start down pull with the front hand to do a front heliloop. Easiest, safest way to learn. As you go higher and develop the feel you have to wait on the front hand pull until you drop closer to the water OR move the kite forward in the window past 12 again while still in the air and then pull the back hand to back heliloop. If that what you were asking?

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:52 pm

a99 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:09 am
All speaking about that heliloop must be done when kite are above you, but how to exactly know when it is above you head ? Always look up to kite possition with eyes or how ?
You'll be dangling from the chicken loop ,gliding down wind gently. As opposed to a violent lift off with a hard pull on the bar which propels you horizontally at max speed with either a high speed landing or "heli loop" at the end.In the realm of "looping" there is very little in common except that the kite travels 240 to over 360 deg in rotation. In the power window or out of it ,its you choice, although sometimes it isn't ! :o

Return to “Kitesurfing”