Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kailua, HI
Favorite Beaches: Kailua, HI
Gear: The best gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Older guy learning to kiteboard

Postby crazykiter1127 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:42 pm

Hello,

I am new to the forum, and I've been interested in learning to kiteboard for a few years now. I am 66yo, in good shape, 180lbs, but I am worried that I have some mild arthritis in the knees, and this could impede my learning experience. I'm not expecting to be kiteboarding in heavy conditions, or in open ocean.

For older guys with joint issues, how does kiteboarding affect you? Is this sport taxing on the body, and joints? Would wearing a high quality knee brace help. I was hoping to shoot down to OBX for a week, and take some lessons. Thanks so much guys appreciate it.

Regards,
John

andyjiggs
Medium Poster
Local Beach: south coast england
Favorite Beaches: south coast england
Style: freeride
Gear: naish

Re: Older guy learning to kiteboard

Postby andyjiggs » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:57 pm

The oldest guy by us is 82. I guess he has some arthritis but he hasn’t mentioned it and copes very well in most conditions.
I’m considerably younger and have mild arthritis in my big toe joints,doesn’t effect my kiting but can be painful walking.
I don’t think if you are generally fit that it will have any major negative effects.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:58 pm

You will fit right in :D 66 is pretty average age for a kiteboarder. You’ll just have to give it a try to find out if your specific pain issues are inflamed by it. Once you can ride decently you have the option to cruise very relaxed and it doesn’t take much strain at all on the body. Or take it as far as you want/can.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:17 pm

Hey, John. I agree with Greenturtle. 66 is not really "older" by kiteboarding standards. You are already miles ahead by being "in good shape". Some will disagree with me, but kiteboarding alone (IMHO) will not keep you in great shape. Make sure you put in your hours every week on aerobic and resistance training. If you do, you'll be able to kite for a couple more decades (or more).

As far as arthritis, you will adapt. I find that my body holds up well beyond my capacity for concentrated mental focus. I can kite for many hours physically, but I usually get sloppy from waning concentration after about 2 to 2-1/2 hours on the water. I sometimes feel "claw-arthritis" in my hands after long sessions, but nothing that keeps me off the water. Some people wear knee braces for added support and security. If it helps you, then wear one (as long as it doesn't prevent leg movement). I sometimes wear an elbow brace, but it's more of a psychological than a physical benefit.

Your plan to head to the OBX for lessons is spot on. There aren't too many locations better than the OBX for learning to kiteboard.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:21 pm

66 with some sport past is NO PROB. I teached 62 years woman last summer. KB is sport that is doable to the death - unlike windsurfing. There is very little physical demand if you choose to. About knees - you probably wont be able to learn KB strapless but switch to strapless as soon as possible. Is like 300% better for knees. Also look for hydrofoiling. Its least physical demanding type of kitesurfing. Almost all older guys end up with hydrofoil.

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby oldkiter » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:34 pm

Don't worry about it!!

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:37 pm

If you are concerned about your knees for any reason please make sure you spend some extra time body dragging. If you do not know what this is don’t worry, you will soon enough. Most people learning want to get on the board as quickly as possible, understandably. You are paying for the time and don’t want to ‘waste’ it. However, the more time you spend body dragging the better your kite skills will become with far less chance of irritating your knees. It will also make water starting & the initial crashes less likely to do damage if you have better kite control from more time & practice. Once you have the kite skills you will find that your weight is partially carried by the kite through the harness so if you can keep the kite pulling steadily it will put less pressure on the knees. So, yes, go for it but sensibly.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:40 pm

Stay away from harsh chop and buy a flexible board with some rocker that eats up chop...Shinn Monk, Cabrina Tronic, Ocean rodeo Smoothie are a few that come to mind....there are many others...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:43 pm

softer board and soft pads will help. Avoid the heavy chop.

The more you kite the more you will build up the muscles for it...that might help with your arthritis as well.

Give it a try for sure...and see how it goes.

Good luck, and welcome!

PS: let us know how it went for you!

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:35 pm

Welcome and enjoy.
You’re at the right age to afford it 😀
Soft foot pads definitely
Neoprene knee braces under the wetsuit May help
Life vest to take the stress if you end with with a bit of a swim
Swimming helps stamina plus you may need it
Cycling helps legs
Core exercises help
Good luck

Return to “Kitesurfing”