Forum for kitesurfers
Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

tips for landing after a boat launch

Postby Grizwald » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:44 pm

Does anyone have any tips for getting ones kite back on board after a boat launch. I have more or less got the boat launch sorted but getting back on board is still a cluster.
I run a ski rope out from the boat with a carabiner to clip onto the chicken loop and another to the safety. I have tried repeatedly to just wind up the lines but there is just too much force to do so safely. This means that I have to flag out the kite. Winding up the lines invariable results in a rats nest. Sorting that out on a small boat so far has not been possible so if I want to move to a new spot it means going to shore to straighten the lines.
There are several videos on kite launching but landings seem to be a kind of afterthought.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Re: tips for landing after a boat launch

Postby Herman » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:58 am

Assuming 4 line LEI boat anchored, kite on wingtip at edge of window. Secure the bar in the boat. Pull the kite in by the center lines, chuck the line pulled in back overboard. Secure the kite on the pump leash at boat stern. Wind in the lines. Obviously no guarantees.........

PS: If your kites are a roll over bridle / mini 5th this should be easy. If not it may be easier to pull the kite over with the top front line and pull it in with that, remember to chuck line back overboard as you go. Alternatively you can rig a 5th to the pump leash as a tripping/recovery line.
Last edited by Herman on Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:11 am

Don't forget you can put a stopper 10 meters up the flag out line to prevent line tangles. Grab a small piece of kite line a few inches thread it through the center flag out line then knot it. I usually double the line when I pass it through. It will stopper the line at that point and I've never seen any weakening from my lines from doing this. Flagging out is a really good way to land you just hop on the boat hit the QR and wrap up. Any kind of tethered launch/land means you have more swimming to do.

snowycreek
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sand Bar
Favorite Beaches: Sand Bar
Been thanked: 0

Postby snowycreek » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:58 am

If someone is on board, land the kite on the boat and swim to the back of the boat. Wind your lines once on board.

grtlakes
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: ontario Nickel and Sunset
Favorite Beaches: hatteras area,
nickel beach, sunset beach
Style: Erratic
Gear: Armstrong 1050 2400, mako king,NHP split, OR flites and prodigy

Postby grtlakes » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:36 am

I found the best method was to secure kite to boat with the bar. Rest kite at edge of wind window. Swim out to kite and put it on its back. Swim to boat with kite ensuring you are upwind of lines. Get helper to hold kite. Wind up lines. Works for the most part pretty easy. Good luck. Dealing with launching and landing kites from a boat adds challenges that can be surprising.

Kiteaddicted
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pt Chev, Auckland
Favorite Beaches: Te Atatu, Auckland
St Kilda, Melbourne
Style: Freeride
Gear: Airrush Switch twin tip
Naish Global Surfboard
9m Slingshot Rally
12m Airush Union
18m Airush Lithium Zero

Postby Kiteaddicted » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:52 am

disclaimer...i havent done this but i would...get to the boat and tether bar/lines. move kite to the edge of window as above. grab the centre line that is on top. the kite will fall flat. wind in that centre line until kite at the boat (do it quickly i.e. dont mess around). tether kite, release the retrieve line and wind up all lines as usual

Kozzie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: brighton
Style: freestyle

Postby Kozzie » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:47 pm

?!?

Just kite to back of boat pop quick release hop up on back boat and pull kite in via safety line towards you hook safety leash onto center of kite (where pump leash goes) then disconnect safety leash from harness and connect it to boat. Take bar off harness put on back of boat. Jump in water disconnect lines from kite get back on boat and roll lines up on bar. Then grab kite disconnect leash and deflate while holding onto. Squeeze air out then let dry on boat then fold up. ....

What is with you guys wanting a kite 25m away from boat and haveing bars connected to boat?! That shit powers up youll be moving ya boat...

Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none

Postby Grizwald » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:17 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will try them all and if something works really well I will report back.

Speedster
Rare Poster
Gear: Blade, Cabrinha, Ozone

Postby Speedster » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:41 pm

I just land it at the stern of the boat and swim back while wrapping the lines in the bar.
Of course for this I need to have someone in the boat to catch the kite.
But it works great, kite stays dry and is folded by the time I swim back to the boat, which is nice!

Return to “Kitesurfing”