Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Twintip board recommendations for people with knee issues

Forum for kitesurfers
Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Twintip board recommendations for people with knee issues

Postby Havre » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:36 am

apollo4000 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:29 pm
The wood core are cheaper and harder and less flexible than the carbon. I started with the wood core and now only ride carbon

The carbon boards are more expensive (downside) but not by much these days. But they’re custom not mass produced. The upside is they are tough, really lightweight-next to nothing. They are very flexible so absorb the waves; the wave cc TT is shaped like the mako so awesome in waves but with TT fin setup I prefer. Bottom line is the carbon are really comfortable to ride for a 51 year old’s knees. I was also advised by Simon to shorten the width of my stance to help protect my knees. Wise words.
This is interesting. I have never even tried a carbon board, but their reputation is that they are stiff and not very comfortable in choppy conditions. Now my primary hobby is cycling so I am quite familiar with carbon as a material. The biggest upside to carbon is how you might change the characteristics of a board (or a bike) depending on the direction you lay the carbon. So in bikes a carbon bike might at the same time feel as stiff (if not stiffer) than an aluminium bike while at the same time being more comfortable. The reason being by having spots on the bike that can absorb vibration while other areas that would be under more tension when pedaling is stiffer. I have kind of been waiting for kiteboards to develop the same way. From your description that has now happened? If so very interesting. Certainly not how carbon boards are generally perceived among the kiters I socialize with.

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Postby ScoopZ » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:56 am

iriejohn wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:09 am
Coopes wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:08 pm
Had a good session on a friends 150 Mako, so smooth and comfortable in chop. But found it hard to land from rotations, it’s difficult to find an edge if you are not pointing directly down wind. You also have to use a different stance from normal twintips But a brilliant board in the surf.
Owned an old Xride 2008 141, good flex, and was good all rounder. Very grippy board.
Strapless surfboard is not for everybody, unless your hunting waves, have the right kite or suits your local conditions. But it is very easy on the knees. .
Avoid generalisations, all knee injuries are not the same. Whether it is or is not easy on the knees depends entirely on the type of knee damage. In my case I have to avoid all twisting motions - a locked in TT is fine but the pivoting twisting motion turning a SB is not.
ScoopZ wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:37 pm
... a strapless surfboard is the best for knee and ankle joints.
See above.
Locking your joints is like removing the path of least resistance, you can swivel your feet both on a tt and a SB (to a greater extent) for comfort. The foot is not always rearmost.
Now the continuing bouncing of a sandwich board can be harsh and in some water conditions a nice sharp cutting rail would be preferable.
Last edited by ScoopZ on Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:09 am

Havre wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:36 am
apollo4000 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:29 pm
The wood core are cheaper and harder and less flexible than the carbon. I started with the wood core and now only ride carbon

The carbon boards are more expensive (downside) but not by much these days. But they’re custom not mass produced. The upside is they are tough, really lightweight-next to nothing. They are very flexible so absorb the waves; the wave cc TT is shaped like the mako so awesome in waves but with TT fin setup I prefer. Bottom line is the carbon are really comfortable to ride for a 51 year old’s knees. I was also advised by Simon to shorten the width of my stance to help protect my knees. Wise words.
This is interesting. I have never even tried a carbon board, but their reputation is that they are stiff and not very comfortable in choppy conditions.
First, how the board feels is highly depend on multiple aspects, board shape, board size, wave lenght, footpads, riding style etc.
So if you are just riding then board shape and size probably has the biggest influence regardless of materials used.

Regarding carbon: all carbon board still have a wood core even if they are marketed full carbon.
Depending on the board you might have a few single strips of carbon reinforcing the board up to a "full" carbon board where all the wood has been encompassed by carbon.
Carbon is used for weight reduction and to STIFFEN the board. Regular boards use fiberglass which has a lot more flex. You can do the same sort of directional weaving with both so that should not matter much.
So e.g. landing a jump your knees are better of with a fiberglass board with a lot of rocker.
However a stiff carbon board "pops" better so you can e.v. potentially jump higher and if you are heavy rider you might need to have a stiffer board in powered up riding conditions: if the board flexes to much it will start to create a lot of drag.
I am not sure how much stiffness has impact on riding through chop but my guess is shape and size are way more relevant.
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post:
Havre (Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:31 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:33 am

Of course. I mean you would theoretically have to compare the same board being made with or without carbon.

Your description of things fits better with the general perception of carbon boards. Which is why I didn't buy a carbon board last time around.

Both can't be right in my opinion.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:49 pm

Mako without a doubt. It's basically the difference between riding on powder and riding on ice with respect to smoothing out chop. Obviously that comes with loss of really being able to pull off your edge to boost, but........I feel like when I did ride a twintip still, if it was in choppy water, I could hold more speed because of the added grip of the Mako, and the added control made it to where I could go just as big. Mako 140 is a good call.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:47 pm

ScoopZ wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:56 am
iriejohn wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:09 am
Coopes wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:08 pm
Had a good session on a friends 150 Mako, so smooth and comfortable in chop. But found it hard to land from rotations, it’s difficult to find an edge if you are not pointing directly down wind. You also have to use a different stance from normal twintips But a brilliant board in the surf.
Owned an old Xride 2008 141, good flex, and was good all rounder. Very grippy board.
Strapless surfboard is not for everybody, unless your hunting waves, have the right kite or suits your local conditions. But it is very easy on the knees. .
Avoid generalisations, all knee injuries are not the same. Whether it is or is not easy on the knees depends entirely on the type of knee damage. In my case I have to avoid all twisting motions - a locked in TT is fine but the pivoting twisting motion turning a SB is not.
ScoopZ wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:37 pm
... a strapless surfboard is the best for knee and ankle joints.
See above.
Locking your joints is like removing the path of least resistance, you can swivel your feet both on a tt and a SB (to a greater extent) for comfort. The foot is not always rearmost.
Now the continuing bouncing of a sandwich board can be harsh and in some water conditions a nice sharp cutting rail would be preferable.
More generalisations. :)

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:34 pm

Yep, Mako. The best chop destroying board that I've ever ridden. They ride a little smaller than their size denotes, so keep that in mind if you start looking for one. My 150 is closer to a 144.

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:20 pm

What weight you are? All those reccomendations can be all wrong if you are 100 or 120 kg for example.. Just a thought.

espana2323
Rare Poster
Gear: No gear yet

Postby espana2323 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:53 pm

sergei Scotland wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:20 pm
What weight you are? All those reccomendations can be all wrong if you are 100 or 120 kg for example.. Just a thought.
I am 76Kg.

Some good information here. Thanks to all that replied.

Faraz56
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pleasure Bay Massachusetts
Favorite Beaches: Chatham Mass
Style: All crazy
Gear: Core kites
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Faraz56 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:37 pm

I asked my Orthopedic doctor the same question .
Basically having the pads in an angle would grind your meniscus up slowly, so his recommendation was to have the pads as straight as possible !

Return to “Kitesurfing”