Forum for kitesurfers
espana2323
Rare Poster
Gear: No gear yet
Brand Affiliation: None

Twintip board recommendations for people with knee issues

Postby espana2323 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:57 pm

Hi,

After seeing the "Older guy learning to kiteboard" thread, I am curious get a more information on freeride twintip recommendations for people that have knee issues. These boards would need to be flexible, have some rocker and soft pads.

From that thread, people recommended the following boards: Shinn Monk, Cabrina Tronic, Ocean Rodeo Smoothie, Ocean Rodeo Mako

Based on your experience which board models would you recommend?

Thanks.
Last edited by espana2323 on Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Re: Twintip board recommendations for people with knee issues

Postby Havre » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:08 pm

I can't recommend a specific board (my Ronson Player I find quite smooth - I can't compare it to many other boards though), but size might also matter. A longer board with narrow stands will give you more flex than a short board with wide stands. How much it matters in the end I cannot say, but you do feel the difference.

That also goes for where you position the pads. I am tall so generally speaking I have to go as wide as the board allows me, but if you can go narrower it will certainly give you some more flex.

Then it depends on conditions. A big board in very choppy conditions might in the end be tougher on the knees than a smaller board. There also design, not only "softness", but how it edges will matter. My new board is a lot better in choppy conditions than my old. My old board I struggled to edge relatively cleanly in choppy conditions - ending up occasionally almost bouncing against the waves. Probably not good if you struggle with your knees. Smaller boards are easier in those conditions.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:06 pm

Pads and boards are two different things.

Do you buy skies or snowboards with the boots? No.

The pads are completely subjective just like no one shoe fits all...

The board on the other side depends on style and conditions.

D.

SWO_kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Yes
Style: Foil/Freeride/Big air
Gear: 11m Reedin SM V2, 8m & 6m SS Raptor
128 Shinn Sunburner + 75 AL-mast + K wing
140 Best Spark, 133 Cabrinha Caliber

Postby SWO_kite » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:17 pm

There's no doubt about it - hydrofoils are the ultimate leg savers. Their performance and comfort FAR outweigh their steep learning curve.

The only follow up to that is a nice surfboard.

My opinion is that twintips are the most high impact board format. Sure you can get 'comfortable' ones, but a duck is still a duck. If your knees are delicate and mad, it would probably be best to switch to something directional. But again, hydrofoils are king when it comes to low impact use.

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:29 pm

my spot always has messy waves, so the knees get a good work out. my experience is with

North/Duotone X-Ride
Ocean Rodeo Mako
Nomad Wave CC
Nomad LW

The first two boards are wood core and last two are carbon. The wood core are cheaper and harder and less flexible than the carbon. I started with the wood core and now only ride carbon

The carbon boards are more expensive (downside) but not by much these days. But they’re custom not mass produced. The upside is they are tough, really lightweight-next to nothing. They are very flexible so absorb the waves; the wave cc TT is shaped like the mako so awesome in waves but with TT fin setup I prefer. Bottom line is the carbon are really comfortable to ride for a 51 year old’s knees. I was also advised by Simon to shorten the width of my stance to help protect my knees. Wise words.

All the manufacturers above make great boards. Everyone has different needs. But if you’re like me, and want to protect your middle-aged knees, you can’t go wrong with a carbon board, especially if it’s a handmade one-of-a-kind with your own design.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:27 pm

Riding chop will probably increase bone density and from personal feelings may actually promote cartilage growth within the joint providing you stick within sensible limits - no idea whether this is actually true but I hope it is! I have been riding around on dodgy knees for many years and I think it may be delaying the onset of arthritis. I must admit in reality I stick to waves rather than chop.

I enjoy surfboards but oddly enough they make my knees sore quicker than TT, despite needing less power, which is against the general consensus of what should happen. I put this down to loose ligaments. When powered on a TT my loose ligaments are better compensated by the muscle control needed to lock into the TT stance for jumping where as on a SB you want to move around with foot changes etc.

The Mako is the softest on the knees that I have ridden but it is a bit power hungry! I love them for chop. Deep concaves on boards nearly always soften the feel of chop in my experience if that is what you are forced to ride in. It also has nice carvy feel and benefits from a fairly even weighted stance. If your local ride is chop use it as a motivator to get on a hydrofoil.

If it is messy waves, white water and flats there is no need to stick with deep concaves it is then more about flex and efficiency in these conditions imho. I like Shinn boards as well.
Last edited by Herman on Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Postby ScoopZ » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:37 pm

Any Shinn model is great, but a strapless surfboard is the best for knee and ankle joints.
Mako's are good (I've tried a 150) but for the surf feel, id rather use my SB.

Coopes
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Weston Super Mare
Favorite Beaches: Exmouth
Style: Freestyle
Gear: 14m Rally
10m Rally
8m Rally
Axis Vanguard
GreenShox
Has thanked: 0

Postby Coopes » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:08 pm

Had a good session on a friends 150 Mako, so smooth and comfortable in chop. But found it hard to land from rotations, it’s difficult to find an edge if you are not pointing directly down wind. You also have to use a different stance from normal twintips But a brilliant board in the surf.
Owned an old Xride 2008 141, good flex, and was good all rounder. Very grippy board.
Strapless surfboard is not for everybody, unless your hunting waves, have the right kite or suits your local conditions. But it is very easy on the knees. .

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:09 am

Coopes wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:08 pm
Had a good session on a friends 150 Mako, so smooth and comfortable in chop. But found it hard to land from rotations, it’s difficult to find an edge if you are not pointing directly down wind. You also have to use a different stance from normal twintips But a brilliant board in the surf.
Owned an old Xride 2008 141, good flex, and was good all rounder. Very grippy board.
Strapless surfboard is not for everybody, unless your hunting waves, have the right kite or suits your local conditions. But it is very easy on the knees. .
Avoid generalisations, all knee injuries are not the same. Whether it is or is not easy on the knees depends entirely on the type of knee damage. In my case I have to avoid all twisting motions - a locked in TT is fine but the pivoting twisting motion turning a SB is not.
ScoopZ wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:37 pm
... a strapless surfboard is the best for knee and ankle joints.
See above.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:39 am

Herman wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:27 pm
Riding chop will probably increase bone density and from personal feelings may actually promote cartilage growth within the joint providing you stick within sensible limits - no idea whether this is actually true but I hope it is! I have been riding around on dodgy knees for many years and I think it may be delaying the onset of arthritis. I must admit in reality I stick to waves rather than chop.

I enjoy surfboards but oddly enough they make my knees sore quicker than TT, despite needing less power, which is against the general consensus of what should happen. I put this down to loose ligaments. When powered on a TT my loose ligaments are better compensated by the muscle control needed to lock into the TT stance for jumping where as on a SB you want to move around with foot changes etc.

The Mako is the softest on the knees that I have ridden but it is a bit power hungry! I love them for chop. Deep concaves on boards nearly always soften the feel of chop in my experience if that is what you are forced to ride in. It also has nice carvy feel and benefits from a fairly even weighted stance. If your local ride is chop use it as a motivator to get on a hydrofoil.

If it is messy waves, white water and flats there is no need to stick with deep concaves it is then more about flex and efficiency in these conditions imho. I like Shinn boards as well.
I can relate to this. Broke my ankle in Nov/2018, cartilage damaged, the Surgeon advised FIXING the ankle permanently 6mnth after the injury!!! Or risking huge artritis. The talar dome was almost split in two, got the thrombosis as well , the complete package ;) Healed naturally tho.

Started using TT after 3 months. Crazy right? The pain is all gone, ankle is 100%, knees 100% a 13 months after.

I can do 200 sessions per year, and it's only chop, or flat when not chop :) Riding 120cm DIY board, with NTT pads (so quite flat pads).

Tried 134cm Monk, did not like it. After 120cm board, everything feels bulky, slow, like a tank on my feet. Same with a SB or a HF, we are 'dancing' on the board, not edging. IF I could edge more, I would, but with my tiny legs, do not have that strength. BTW, I'm 50yo.

Edging is my friend, it healed me.

Return to “Kitesurfing”