Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Twintip board recommendations for people with knee issues

Forum for kitesurfers
Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha beach, Le Morne, Silver Rock
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Cabrinha kites. North, Airush, and Slingshot boards and foils.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Twintip board recommendations for people with knee issues

Postby Eduardo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:22 pm

Herman wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:11 am
Surf boards are better for knees. Depends on the individual and the conditions you ride. In chop I can ride a TT softer than a surfboard. The TT only starts producing more impact if you jump. What people should be talking about is the style of riding not the board. Again common sense TT tiny and designed for impact and so is softer just riding in the same conditions as a bigger area and stiffer SB.
Presumably the OP is not an expert so still crashing. I would say always better on knees to crash strapless than with straps. Likewise, any abrupt board movement would be better strapless. For bouncing in chop, it's probably more about rider skill. Full length surf boards can be bouncy in chop but newer strapless freestyle boards are fine in chop.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:40 pm

I rode Shinn Monks for years, tried quite a few other boards, but never found one as comfortable and kind to my knees.

Until I tried a Lieuwe Shotgun.

Best board I've ever had.

Fin.
Last edited by iriejohn on Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Herman
Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:25 am

Eduardo wrote:
Herman wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:11 am
Surf boards are better for knees. Depends on the individual and the conditions you ride. In chop I can ride a TT softer than a surfboard. The TT only starts producing more impact if you jump. What people should be talking about is the style of riding not the board. Again common sense TT tiny and designed for impact and so is softer just riding in the same conditions as a bigger area and stiffer SB.
Presumably the OP is not an expert so still crashing. I would say always better on knees to crash strapless than with straps. Likewise, any abrupt board movement would be better strapless. For bouncing in chop, it's probably more about rider skill. Full length surf boards can be bouncy in chop but newer strapless freestyle boards are fine in chop.
The op was asking about twintips. I was just calling out what I see as irrelevant mantra imho. Are you suggesting it is better for beginners to be on strapless SB rather than TT. Too much time and added risk retrieving boards imho unless conditions are absolutely ideal.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:06 am

Broken bodies like hydrofoils.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby iriejohn » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:42 am

foilholio wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:06 am
Broken bodies like hydrofoils.
Wow, hydrofoils? That's something we've never heard of before, tell us more.

On second thoughts, don't bother.

Thanks.

Herman
Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:50 am

Irejohn

Size for size which do you think requires the more minimum power to ride, the Shotgun or the Monk?
Is one or the other capable of handling more top end power?
Or are they similar in these respects?

Regards Herman.

wedge
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby wedge » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:19 pm

+1 for the Mako. Had one for the last 7 years and love it. Super fun in waves and nice in the chop.

They do eat power though. Chop eats power too because it's harder to hold a clean line when going up wind. Expect to go up a kite size in some circumstances. Unfortunately, expect a few finger wagging kite-size-police as your launch. Dealt with it for years.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:30 pm

wedge wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:19 pm
+1 for the Mako. Had one for the last 7 years and love it. Super fun in waves and nice in the chop.

They do eat power though. Chop eats power too because it's harder to hold a clean line when going up wind. Expect to go up a kite size in some circumstances. Unfortunately, expect a few finger wagging kite-size-police as your launch. Dealt with it for years.
Yup, also, once you figure out how to ride it, goes upwind better than most tt’s and boosts well. Not great for pop & slack tricks. But really smooths out the bumps. :thumb:

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby iriejohn » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:08 pm

Herman wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:50 am
Irejohn

Size for size which do you think requires the more minimum power to ride, the Shotgun or the Monk?
Is one or the other capable of handling more top end power?
Or are they similar in these respects?

Regards Herman.
Comparing Monk 135 X 42 with Shotgun 136 X 41, I guess they both require about the same amount of minimum power to get going, but the Shotgun has immense grip and never wants to let go so can handle more top end power. The Shotgun has some fancy channelling which helps to provide the grip. I'm 81kg.
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post (total 2):
Herman (Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:24 pm) • Badgast (Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:29 am)
Rating: 20%

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:18 am

Havre wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:36 am
apollo4000 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:29 pm
The wood core are cheaper and harder and less flexible than the carbon. I started with the wood core and now only ride carbon

The carbon boards are more expensive (downside) but not by much these days. But they’re custom not mass produced. The upside is they are tough, really lightweight-next to nothing. They are very flexible so absorb the waves; the wave cc TT is shaped like the mako so awesome in waves but with TT fin setup I prefer. Bottom line is the carbon are really comfortable to ride for a 51 year old’s knees. I was also advised by Simon to shorten the width of my stance to help protect my knees. Wise words.
This is interesting. I have never even tried a carbon board, but their reputation is that they are stiff and not very comfortable in choppy conditions. Now my primary hobby is cycling so I am quite familiar with carbon as a material. The biggest upside to carbon is how you might change the characteristics of a board (or a bike) depending on the direction you lay the carbon. So in bikes a carbon bike might at the same time feel as stiff (if not stiffer) than an aluminium bike while at the same time being more comfortable. The reason being by having spots on the bike that can absorb vibration while other areas that would be under more tension when pedaling is stiffer. I have kind of been waiting for kiteboards to develop the same way. From your description that has now happened? If so very interesting. Certainly not how carbon boards are generally perceived among the kiters I socialize with.
...then I suggest you demo a carbon board and test your assumptions. Then you’ll know for sure.

Return to “Kitesurfing”