Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Twintip board recommendations for people with knee issues

Forum for kitesurfers
Havre
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Twintip board recommendations for people with knee issues

Postby Havre » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:37 pm

apollo4000 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:18 am
Havre wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:36 am
apollo4000 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:29 pm
The wood core are cheaper and harder and less flexible than the carbon. I started with the wood core and now only ride carbon

The carbon boards are more expensive (downside) but not by much these days. But they’re custom not mass produced. The upside is they are tough, really lightweight-next to nothing. They are very flexible so absorb the waves; the wave cc TT is shaped like the mako so awesome in waves but with TT fin setup I prefer. Bottom line is the carbon are really comfortable to ride for a 51 year old’s knees. I was also advised by Simon to shorten the width of my stance to help protect my knees. Wise words.
This is interesting. I have never even tried a carbon board, but their reputation is that they are stiff and not very comfortable in choppy conditions. Now my primary hobby is cycling so I am quite familiar with carbon as a material. The biggest upside to carbon is how you might change the characteristics of a board (or a bike) depending on the direction you lay the carbon. So in bikes a carbon bike might at the same time feel as stiff (if not stiffer) than an aluminium bike while at the same time being more comfortable. The reason being by having spots on the bike that can absorb vibration while other areas that would be under more tension when pedaling is stiffer. I have kind of been waiting for kiteboards to develop the same way. From your description that has now happened? If so very interesting. Certainly not how carbon boards are generally perceived among the kiters I socialize with.
...then I suggest you demo a carbon board and test your assumptions. Then you’ll know for sure.
Haha. Thanks for the tip. Obviously false, but it would give me a subjective view - that is true.

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:20 pm

Havre wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:37 pm
apollo4000 wrote:
Havre wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:36 am

This is interesting. I have never even tried a carbon board, but their reputation is that they are stiff and not very comfortable in choppy conditions. Now my primary hobby is cycling so I am quite familiar with carbon as a material. The biggest upside to carbon is how you might change the characteristics of a board (or a bike) depending on the direction you lay the carbon. So in bikes a carbon bike might at the same time feel as stiff (if not stiffer) than an aluminium bike while at the same time being more comfortable. The reason being by having spots on the bike that can absorb vibration while other areas that would be under more tension when pedaling is stiffer. I have kind of been waiting for kiteboards to develop the same way. From your description that has now happened? If so very interesting. Certainly not how carbon boards are generally perceived among the kiters I socialize with.
...then I suggest you demo a carbon board and test your assumptions. Then you’ll know for sure.
Haha. Thanks for the tip. Obviously false, but it would give me a subjective view - that is true.
Assumption and an assertion.....lol, gooooo on give it a try but get a demo designed to be flexible otherwise false positive no? I’m only having a bit of fun, please don’t take it the wrong way :thumb:

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:32 pm

apollo4000 wrote:

A "carbon board" could be anything from an ultra stiff wide flat rockered flat water light wind machine to a flexible narrow highly rockered high wind machine.

So advice to "demo a carbon board" is essentially meaningless. No offence, just sayin' OK?

apollo4000
Frequent Poster

Postby apollo4000 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:05 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:32 pm
apollo4000 wrote:

A "carbon board" could be anything from an ultra stiff wide flat rockered flat water light wind machine to a flexible narrow highly rockered high wind machine.

So advice to "demo a carbon board" is essentially meaningless. No offence, just sayin' OK?
Isn’t meaningless if you have a falsely held belief they’re all ultra stiff when, as you point out, they’re not. No offence taken, just partially disagreeing.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:29 pm

apollo4000 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:05 pm
iriejohn wrote:
apollo4000 wrote:

Isn’t meaningless if you have a falsely held belief they’re all ultra stiff when, as you point out, they’re not. No offence taken, just partially disagreeing.
In spite of the fact that I clearly pointed out that carbon boards are not necessarily ultra stiff, you created a straw man with which you could disagree. 8)

apollo4000
Frequent Poster

Postby apollo4000 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:51 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:29 pm
apollo4000 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:05 pm
iriejohn wrote:

In spite of the fact that I clearly pointed out that carbon boards are not necessarily ultra stiff, you created a straw man with which you could disagree. 8)
Ok, will make it easier....“So advice to "demo a carbon board" is essentially meaningless” = twaddle. Simples. :thumb:

br44
Medium Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:13 am

First thing... try a different style. The board is largely if not entirely secondary, IMHO.

Try the following: (1) slightly overpowered; (2) keep kite high so it supports some of your weight; (3) go very slowly - only slightly higher than planing speed. It's basically like foiling - with a TT!! Had a couple of sessions like that and liked them quite a bit. It makes no sense to go fast through chop, if you ask me. At low speeds nearly any board will do, and this riding style will protect your knees.

Return to “Kitesurfing”