Gear: Elements 5

Re: Red Bull King of the Air 2020 - all info here

Postby Seawolf » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:22 pm

Toby wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:13 pm
I am sure it will push North.
Not really hurt Duotone.

Question is now: what about Reedin?

Would you rather buy a North or a Reedin now?
Depends on the price.
If you like to play the looping game. Ive put my money on the Core kites. They seemed pretty stable in the hands of Akkerdijk.
He and Liam Whaley gave the best performances today in my opinion.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:25 pm

dewwy wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:09 pm
Laughingman wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:04 pm
What is more important the riders or the equipment? ...
Neither, winning is and North just put Duotone to shame by winning against them after 1 year of starting a new brand... Its quite amazing and I bet Nick is gonna get a huge pat on the back from North for building the team that he has. Very impressive.. My prediction is Duotone will be an unknown brand in under 5 years... not that i have anything against or interest in either company, but I do think Duotone played a losing hand. The name alone does them no favors.
Loads of bs, you're looking at big air kiteboarding only. All freestyle world champions this year for men/women, whether it's freestyle or strapless freestyle have been duotone riders.
Edit: well except womens strapless, since carla rides for ocean rodeo. mika won last event tho and would probably win overall if she does all stops.
None of the other stuff actually matters to 90% (made up percentage) of riders. Most newish kiters will only see the KOTA results/highlights and when they see their heros flying and winning on North they will likely buy North.
Its all marketing BS that is the only BS, the rest of the BS no one cares about except people who actually know anything about kiting.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:26 pm

Toby wrote:
Not really hurt Duotone.

Forget about it.... Reedin? come on...

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:31 pm

Seawolf wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:22 pm
Toby wrote:
Not really hurt Duotone.

Depends on the price.
If you like to play the looping game. Ive put my money on the Core kites. They seemed pretty stable in the hands of Akkerdijk.
He and Liam Whaley gave the best performances today in my opinion.
Core is for Yuppie Gear heads, with their Moses carbon, and their black carbon fiber twin tip...(Carved i think its called) Most of the people buying kites couldn't tell what one kite does better then the other. But the North team winning KOTA... best adverting and proof North kites are still the best (also most people are unaware of the North/Duotone) debacle.
Its all about how big the slice of the pie is, and Norths slice just got a lot bigger.

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:38 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Neither, winning is and North just put Duotone to shame by winning against them after 1 year of starting a new brand... Its quite amazing and I bet Nick is gonna get a huge pat on the back from North for building the team that he has. Very impressive.. My prediction is Duotone will be an unknown brand in under 5 years... not that i have anything against or interest in either company, but I do think Duotone played a losing hand. The name alone does them no favors.
You are indeed someone to laugh at. Come on, Duotone unknown in 5 years, are you really serious? You have to come up with very good points to say something like that instead of just the name. let's put this on the agenda and laugh hard when they are still the biggest..

luca
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby luca » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:50 pm

I would not say it is an asskick against Duotone, because they make great stuff too. But it is an asskick against the haters trying to bash North that something doesn’t work of their stuff.. ;)
Ok I think some will come now and tell me „these guys do it with every kite“... but I am really sure the Orbit was performing perfectly ;)
And I think the Starkites rider from the Domrep had an North Orbit too after is missed heat or? I think he had problems with his stuff. He tried an triple handlepass on the orbit

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:53 pm

Leon van Bergen wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:38 pm
Laughingman wrote:
You are indeed someone to laugh at. Come on, Duotone unknown in 5 years, are you really serious? You have to come up with very good points to say something like that instead of just the name. let's put this on the agenda and laugh hard when they are still the biggest..
Should we say its a date? Feb 6th 2025 we meet back here and compare market shares of Duotone today vs then. Should be interesting.

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:09 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:53 pm
Leon van Bergen wrote:
Laughingman wrote:
Should we say its a date? Feb 6th 2025 we meet back here and compare market shares of Duotone today vs then. Should be interesting.
”Unknown” is something totally different than compare market share...

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:25 pm

Leon van Bergen wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:09 pm
Laughingman wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:53 pm
Leon van Bergen wrote:

”Unknown” is something totally different than compare market share...
LOL okay so basically "unknown" as in not a top player, certainly not one of the top 5 brands considering market share. That clear enough?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:31 pm

yes, Steven on Core did the deepest megaloops.
Awesome performance by Steven.

Kites can make a difference. As we all know from testing gear, right? Some stuff just isn't as good.
And if you are on the very top of the sport, 5% more or less of performance can make a difference.

Sure, riders make a difference, but gear can give you the final kick to win.

Return to “Kitesurfing”