Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Red Bull King of the Air 2020 - all info here

Forum for kitesurfers
a99
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Baltic sea
Gear: North, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon laluz.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Red Bull King of the Air 2020 - all info here

Postby a99 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:45 pm

Still can't understand comp logic- what is more interesting 17m jump with megaloop or 32m jump without megaloop but with long lomg gliding? Even if there is 70 percents goes for height why everyone now doing megaloops ? If you jump 30m you will get more scores than 15m jump with megaloop. But why they choosed to jump no high but all with megaloops? For Impression scores ? But 30+ high jumps is itself impressive. Why nobody did it ? This was megaloop freestyle comp but not boosting king of the air !
These users thanked the author a99 for the post:
andrzej351 (Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:35 pm)
Rating: 10%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:10 pm

No, riders where doing some higher board offs.
It adds to the variety.
Guess they don’t get that much of a score to keep doing them over and over.
Though the board offs they do are basic...if they would do a KickFlip where the board spins 4 times it should get more points than a boardoff mega loop. Way harder to land that trick. And there is so much more.

prop_joe
Medium Poster
Gear: twin tips

Postby prop_joe » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:17 pm

a99 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:45 pm
Still can't understand comp logic- what is more interesting 17m jump with megaloop or 32m jump without megaloop but with long lomg gliding? Even if there is 70 percents goes for height why everyone now doing megaloops ? If you jump 30m you will get more scores than 15m jump with megaloop. But why they choosed to jump no high but all with megaloops? For Impression scores ? But 30+ high jumps is itself impressive. Why nobody did it ? This was megaloop freestyle comp but not boosting king of the air !
There were some straight boosts, i'm guessing it was those that recorded the highest jumps which were around 23/24m i believe? We saw Nick Jackobson change up to a 10 right at the end of a heat just to boost, it wasn't 30m+. Perhaps those extra few metres gained by not looping were not enough to mitigate the lack of extremity. With more wind you would see the max boost to max loop ratio increase would be my guess, the Megaloop challenge was 50knts apparently but i don't think they were going much higher than at kota.

To answer your question, the 17m megaloop for me but of course it's subjective. 30m+ boosts are awesome and no doubt a thrill to do but not as exiting to watch or as extreme in comparison to 20m loops imo. Especially these days where the levels getting so high, straight megaloop barely gets you a score... even Len10 the original king struggles to get in! :o

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Teabageppo » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:46 am

I would presume the judges and the criteria have discussed in length over the years how to best judge this comp’. Easy for us to say this and that should be considered.

I watched just about every heat/final with my son and on every occasion it seemed to us pretty obvious who won the heat / final and these invariably matched the judges relative score as well. So in my opinion it was judged very well.

Jesse easily was the best rider on the day. Nick went high, had variation and was smooth. Hadlow was just Mr consistent and didn’t have the best run in the final. He could have easily got second if he landed a few more tricks he attempted. Even the Hadlow / langaree heat was super close on the water and the scoring showed that.

Liam was a bit unlucky against nick but even then the scores were a bees dick close and that again matched the rising on the water.

Airton just wasn’t consistent enough on the water and didn’t land enough tricks. But don’t write him off, he will be far more consistent next time. Fck knows how he loads that SB in those conditions !!!

Angely .. I’m sorry but all PC aside (and I know this will upse lt some), she looked way out of her depth. That being said it’s better for the sport and women’s riding in general she was in it. I’d like to see more females give it a crack and have a seperate comp.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:23 am

yes, women should have a heat of 4...and go for it.
One heat to have a queen at the end would all it takes.
Not many girls riding like Angely...so would be easier to find 4 great girls via video submissions.

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight, FCD

Postby Kitemanmuc » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:38 am

Blackened wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:15 pm
Toby wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:25 pm
Kitemanmuc wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:26 am
We’re the height and weight stats made up?

Ozzie Smith and Hadlow are 5’1? Nick Jacobsen 6’5?
Tallest rider is Steven Akkersdijk.
Nick maybe has 6’1.
I think Jesse is the smallest rider.

Cool to see so many guys in 10m kites. I fly a 10m most of the time and always shit myself debating if I should loop it or not with 22m lines. Guess I just gotta go for it. 😂😂

Steven was the tallest this year at 6'4 I'd estimate. (I was slightly shorter than him at 6'3). Nick is probably 6'1 as he's slightly shorter than me.
Heaviest is Josh at about 100-105kg. He's a rugby build - just thick and solid.
Smallest is Jesse, followed closely by Reno.

The smaller riders definitely have an advantage. Jesse/Reno were on 9s, same as almost everyone else. Josh was on a 10m, Lewis was on a 10m, and Nick went out for 1 jump on a 10m. I think Steven had a 10m up, but not sure he used it (I was always up on the road for his heats for some reason). I was overpowered as f*** on a 9m Evo at 95kg just before the wind picked up.

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight, FCD

Postby Kitemanmuc » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:42 am

Kitemanmuc wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:38 am
Blackened wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:15 pm
Toby wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:25 pm

Tallest rider is Steven Akkersdijk.
Nick maybe has 6’1.
I think Jesse is the smallest rider.
Steven was the tallest this year at 6'4 I'd estimate. (I was slightly shorter than him at 6'3). Nick is probably 6'1 as he's slightly shorter than me.
Heaviest is Josh at about 100-105kg. He's a rugby build - just thick and solid.
Smallest is Jesse, followed closely by Reno.

The smaller riders definitely have an advantage. Jesse/Reno were on 9s, same as almost everyone else. Josh was on a 10m, Lewis was on a 10m, and Nick went out for 1 jump on a 10m. I think Steven had a 10m up, but not sure he used it (I was always up on the road for his heats for some reason). I was overpowered as f*** on a 9m Evo at 95kg just before the wind picked up.

Cool to see so many guys in 10m kites. I fly a 10m most of the time and always shit myself debating if I should loop it or not with 22m lines. Guess I just gotta go for it. 😂😂

Blackened
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
2019 Evos

Postby Blackened » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:57 am

prop_joe wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:17 pm

There were some straight boosts, i'm guessing it was those that recorded the highest jumps which were around 23/24m i believe? We saw Nick Jackobson change up to a 10 right at the end of a heat just to boost, it wasn't 30m+. Perhaps those extra few metres gained by not looping were not enough to mitigate the lack of extremity. With more wind you would see the max boost to max loop ratio increase would be my guess, the Megaloop challenge was 50knts apparently but i don't think they were going much higher than at kota.

To answer your question, the 17m megaloop for me but of course it's subjective. 30m+ boosts are awesome and no doubt a thrill to do but not as exiting to watch or as extreme in comparison to 20m loops imo. Especially these days where the levels getting so high, straight megaloop barely gets you a score... even Len10 the original king struggles to get in! :o
Straight boosts, highest was Marc Jacobs at 22m, second was Kevin at 20m.

Straight boosts were scoring in the 3s. Straight megaloops were 4s. A really high one would likely get you a 5.

flysurfing
Frequent Poster
Gear: Depends the mood
Has thanked: 0

Postby flysurfing » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:19 am

Who also thinks that running the contest in one day doesnt make sense ?

It doesnt let the chance to the rider to adjust their strategies as it would if they were running it over 2/3 days.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:22 pm

Makes sense if forecast is bad.
And, if watched on livestream you can better plan to take one day off to watch rather than 2 or 3...

I prefer one day.

Return to “Kitesurfing”