Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
2019 Evos
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Red Bull King of the Air 2020 - all info here

Postby Blackened » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:21 am

The competitors wanted it moved and not the organisers. The wind is far better at Kite Beach than Big Bay. I wouldn't think a couple km made any difference, but after riding both areas on the same day and doing downwinders from one to the other, there is probably a 3-5kn difference. Admittedly, the kickers and landings are definitely bigger and smoother at Big Bay.

Blackened
Medium Poster
2019 Evos

Postby Blackened » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:32 am

Re: handles
The difference in point scoring for using a handle versus the fin/edge/foam is negligible. The handle is also the only way to do a lot of tricks. If you don't like using a handle, then don't. If people want to practice off the water flipping the board around or whatever, then all the power to them.

If you don't want to watch people doing old school tricks, then don't watch. I'd prefer pure height and airstyle combinations rather than megaloops, but I enjoy watching megaloops as well. If it moves back to freestyle unhooking, then I probably will stop supporting as it doesn't interest me.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post (total 3):
andrzej351 (Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:40 pm) • Toby (Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:47 pm) • POACHER (Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:22 pm)
Rating: 30%

andrzej351
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee
Favorite Beaches: Slufter, Jastarnia,
Style: Free ride, Big Air
Gear: Naish Pivot, Naish Monarch

Postby andrzej351 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:44 pm

Teabageppo wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:45 am

And clearly the best rider won that day so the judging however speculative in your heads must be better defined than what you think or know.
The best freestyle rider won, not Big air rider :-? :nono:

prop_joe
Medium Poster
Gear: twin tips

Postby prop_joe » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:37 pm

andrzej351 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:44 pm
Teabageppo wrote:

And clearly the best rider won that day so the judging however speculative in your heads must be better defined than what you think or know.
Not really, Cruz, Martinez and Jaspen all out early. Whaley semi's and Hadlow 3rd.

prop_joe
Medium Poster

Postby prop_joe » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:41 pm

Blackened wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:32 am
If you don't like using a handle, then don't.
It's not about that. Have another read if your interested.

Blackened
Medium Poster
2019 Evos

Postby Blackened » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:25 pm

prop_joe wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:41 pm
Blackened wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:32 am
If you don't like using a handle, then don't.
It's not about that. Have another read if your interested.
Had another read. I don't understand the point you're making. You said adding a bit of grip tape on a board is fine, but disagree with a handle? Personally, without a bit of cut up jandle glued to my board, I struggle to do board flips as I can't catch it. I also can't do multiple board rotations without a handle.I can do a normal tic-tac by grabbing the fin, but fucked if I can do more than a 360 with it. If a bit of grip tape is acceptable to help with tricks, why isn't a handle or other aid? Most boards even have a grip cutout now to make board offs easier. Not to mention factory provided foam lengths rather than having to murder footpads or jandles.

high gins
Rare Poster
Gear: Twintip, Directional, Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby high gins » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:34 pm

gee, what a fuss about handle...i mean what's next...discuss how thick your pads are allowed? or the width of the straps?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Online kiteboard commenting, Fortnite.
Gear: World Sailing kite KOOKs. By kiters for kiters. #kitekooks

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:53 pm

Out of control, people need to really get a handle on things here... or not.

prop_joe
Medium Poster

Postby prop_joe » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:39 pm

high gins wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:34 pm
gee, what a fuss about handle...i mean what's next...discuss how thick your pads are allowed? or the width of the straps?
No fuss, just an opinion :) although it would seem an unpopular one.
Blackened wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:25 pm
Had another read. I don't understand the point you're making. You said adding a bit of grip tape on a board is fine, but disagree with a handle?
Not a huge fan but i'd say grip tapes excusable because it's more of an adaptation, not so much of an addition. Board makers could start pre making rough edges. This i would say isn't much different to any other equipment advance/mod... perhaps a similar analogy from a different sport would be the development of Adidas predators. A handle is an unrelated addition to make tricks easier/possible and create a better 'show'... another Soccer analogy, this would be akin to increasing the width of the goal posts, you'd get higher scorelines, crazier goals but it would be detrimental to the sport imo. I appreciate practice and hard work as opposed to the quick fix. Plus, the riders are too good anyway... they've all pretty much got the board off/one foot with rolls and stuff nailed in the space of a year, look at how easily the boot riders have picked it up, give them handles and it'll get silly. I guess board makers pre moulding handles on would kind of mute my argument in a way, more of a loophole really. As ridiculous as it sounds answer this, why would say removing ones helmet, passing it through the legs and putting back on your head mid jump be any different in principle to a board off? Again, just talking competition.

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Teabageppo » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:11 am

andrzej351 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:44 pm
Teabageppo wrote:

Jesse had the boogey mega loop and the mega loop board off just like all the others. Plus his unhooked stuff. I watched the entire heats and finals. You’d be blind to not conclude Jesse was the best “big air” rider on the day. He also had to confront both langaree and Marc Jacobs before the final. Nic was going big, and Hadlow ... well he’s just a smooth seasoned compaigner.

Return to “Kitesurfing”