Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Can you body drag upwind?

Forum for kitesurfers
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Can you body drag upwind?

Postby Flyboy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:48 pm

I always assumed I could body drag upwind ... until I snagged my foil on a fishing net, flew off the board & then quickly realized no matter how hard to tried to drag back to it, I was gradually losing ground to my stationary board. As I was foiling with a 6m kite in about 12-14 knots I didn't, in any case, have much power available. In the end I had to body drag to shore, land my kite & then swim back out to disentangle the foil. However, it made me realize for the first time that you don't actually "body drag upwind", but only body drag downwind less quickly than your board drifts downwind ... :-?

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Re: Can you body drag upwind?

Postby grigorib » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:52 pm

I did bodydrag upwind to my foil stuck in a fishing net

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:20 am

You can body drag and or swim upwind.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:55 am

You can bodydrag quite some upwind indeed :thumb:

Your error, without having seen it, I am quite certain though, is you point too high with your arm/body, thus you are getting nowhere upwind...

A common mistake by almost everyone, even quite experienced kitesurfers are seen doing it somewhat wrong, only helped by the fact the wind pushes their board down to them most often...

You should make your "superman" with your body and arm perpendicular to the wind, instead of trying to partly point up to your board.

Sound counterintuitive yes, but try it, and you will see how much better you go upwind, eventhough you at first feel like you must go sideways :naughty:

Made this many years ago, a test where I ditched the board on purpose and then bodydragged with my 10 m2 kite to see the result on my GPS after the session, quite amazing angle I would think:

8) Peter

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:59 am

A 6 in 12 knots is very small.
You need power. With power you easily bodydrag upwind.
With too much power it is also not possible, like with an 18 in 30 knots.😉

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:05 am

But with lack of power it is easy to swim.

a 6m is perfect for 12knots :-) with waves on a big foil.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:38 am

With a foil board I spend more time body dragging downwind after my board! In swell, it's impressive how fast the board travels downwind. In general, with my SB, I am out with considerably more power in the kite & I have no problem body dragging back to the board, even if it's a fair way upwind.

In this case, I didn't seem to have enough power in my kite to make any upwind progress. I guess I could have luffed the kite as much as possible & swum towards the board, which was about 50m upwind.

As it turned out, the line was wrapped quite perfectly in an S-shape around the stabilizer, mast & front wing. Diving below the water I was able to release it but I needed both hands to do it - I don't think I would have been able to do it while flying the kite & dropping the kite next to the fishing line could have created other problems...

Kitetwin-1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:51 am

It’s winter, try body dragging to a foil in current while wearing a bag dry suit.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:19 am

Kitetwin-1 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:51 am
It’s winter, try body dragging to a foil in current while wearing a bag dry suit.
Actually ... it was about 30C air temp & 27 C water. So the whole process was relatively pleasant! 8)

However, normally speaking isn't body dragging to a foil really easy except for unusual circumstances? It did make me realize how a foil is subject to a bunch of potential hazards that are not likely to be relevant on a SB or TT.

Kitetwin-1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:48 am

Some foils are very light and sit up sideways, they don’t come to you. Combine the buoyancy of a bag suit and current like the gorge. I almost saw $3000 float away two weeks ago.

Return to “Kitesurfing”