Forum for kitesurfers
gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

How to rescue downed kitesurfer?

Postby gator1 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:40 am

When I rescue a kitesurfer who cant relaunch their kite I usually bodydrag holding my board with one hand and the bar with the other. The kitesurfer grabs the back of my harness as I tow him in.

The other day I rescued someone but he had trouble holding onto his kite and board as well as my harness at the same time. Is there a better technique?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: How to rescue downed kitesurfer?

Postby Toby » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:12 pm

Step by step?
First Kiter, then his kite and then his board.

Or just Kiter and kite, you get the board later.

Better if someone else is around and can help...this way the kite won’t fly away too far...

If side onshore and longer beach, Kiter can walk downwind and catch his kite by himself.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:58 pm

Need a bit more info. Did he roll his lines up? Did he deflate the kite? What size board? Could he get on it out of the water a bit? Like a surfboard or full on drag like a tt? Or did you just try and drag the whole ocean in with him?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:48 pm

You are putting yourself at risk if you try to tow someone back to shore with his kite and board. If the wind is on shore or side shore don't do it they will be fine they just have to wait a little while.

I have done this before but only because the wind was offshore so there were dangers the Kiter would get lost at sea. Get off your board so you can body drag and you just have to take your time coming in. I could never find a good grip. You don't want to have the other Kiter full release because that's their flotation in case the wind dies also planes will be able to spot the kite but would never find a swimmer in the ocean.

So yeah the only way you do this is when the situation is completely fubar the wind is offshore and there's no other way to rescue. If you are just being polite to help him or her come home no f999ing way just let them self rescue.

gator1
Medium Poster

Postby gator1 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:11 am

I'm talking about a normal kite rescue on a normal day, with downed kiter with his kite fully inflated, lines and bar attached, with a TT. No other special ropes or equipment.

The guy was holding a kite with one hand and the back of my harness with the other and trying to ride with his TT on his chest. But it kept sliding off.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:39 am

What kind of wind direction ?

gator1
Medium Poster

Postby gator1 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:23 am

sideshore

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:13 am

Let him self rescue. It seems like you are doing him a favor but you have to remember you can get tangled in his lines if his kite unexpectedly launches. If the wind turns offshore you need to rescue him. On a sideshore wind he can do a standard self rescue. Make sure you talk to him and make sure he's breathing ok. If he loses his board you can grab that for him.

or6
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding, strictly strapless, some TT,
Gear: RRD Religion 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Shinn Bronq

Postby or6 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:35 am

I have rescued my share of kiteboarders (and poleboarders). I don't take gear, unless the need to be on their board. I don't want to myself at risk because of somebody else's gear....i'll take some risk to rescue a person. I'll go back and get their board or kite, or both (but not at the same time) if conditions permit. In sideshore and side-on, as a rule, the gear will wash up.

Once I had to rescue a downed windsurfer, who had broken his collarbone. I dragged him in on his board, using rope from his kit.

Sometimes I think I should carry a long leash (surfboardleash) just to be able to drag people in on their boards...would be quite handy, especially since it is quite the challenge dragging people in on the back of my harness on a strapless waveboard.

So how: no gear, have them hold on to the back of your harness.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:08 pm

First instance. Give advice so they can self-rescue themselves. If they can, then take the board in and keep contact with the dude.

If not ditch the gear and rescue the guy. The go get the board.

I'm not rescuing a kite. Too much to go wrong, particularly in my location of waves and rocks.

Return to “Kitesurfing”