Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Re: Do a kickflip

Postby Matteo V » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:20 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:23 am
Based on all the footage here, I'd guess that the reason wakeskates aren't more popular is that they aren't fun without flat water? Or more precisely, the long learning curve is even worse without flat water?
There's just no other non-kite sport that is popular to the point where everyone thinks that being strapless on this type of board is the only way to go. In fact, it is quite the opposite, where this type of board (twin- tip) is more popular with straps than without, in non kite sports.

Since there is no popular emulation of the sport at the root, no one wants to put up with the handicap of being strapless on this type of board. And being strapless is a pretty big limitation to the entire kiteboarding system. Kite power winds up being limited, timing becomes critical to the point where only a single timing can be used, and changes midair are severely restricted. Overall you just wind up being able to do a great many things to a lesser degree, though a very few things can be added to the repertoire, when strapless.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana, SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, SST 5m, Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/82/91/105cm masts with 590/330 695/425 683s/450 679/483 wingsets, Tim's 36" woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot SST 6m 2018 $480, Slingshot RPM 11m 2018 like new $600, Slingshot Turbine 5m 2017 like new $450, BROkite carbon board 140x44cm like new complete $650, Slingshot Rally 6m 2017 like new $530
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby grigorib » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:27 pm

People do crazy stuff with a strapless surfboard - I think that's where all the strapless kiting pros are.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:19 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:20 pm

There's just no other non-kite sport that is popular to the point where everyone thinks that being strapless on this type of board is the only way to go. In fact, it is quite the opposite, where this type of board (twin- tip) is more popular with straps than without, in non kite sports.

what-size-skateboard-do-you-need-buying-guide-tips.jpg

Surfkiternew
Medium Poster
Gear: All

Postby Surfkiternew » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:15 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:19 pm
Matteo V wrote:

:naughty: n1

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Foil kites on the snow

Postby Matteo V » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:27 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:19 pm
Matteo V wrote:

Oops! As Yoda said, "There is another."

Then again, put big tires and wheels on a skateboard and turn it into a mountain board, so that you can use a depower kite to its full potential, with that board.......

And you wind up with straps on it anyway! So thanks for reaffirming my position on the whole strap thing. Don't let nobody tell you your good-for-nothing jumpy, cuz I'll put it right out there now> you're good for something! That's reason number 239 why having a connection to the board gives superior performance.

Funny how a depower kite, which allows speed and instant low end power, changes the entire board sport, so long as you wish to embrace speed and power. But it also gives you the choice, as you can always take the straps off and have less power and less speed.
Last edited by Matteo V on Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Foil kites on the snow

Postby Matteo V » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:35 pm

grigorib wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:27 pm
People do crazy stuff with a strapless surfboard - I think that's where all the strapless kiting pros are.
I used to do strapless and do that crazy stuff. Until I really, and in a dedicated fashion, did a back-to-back comparison. Turns out that the "crazy stuff", is better described as "dainty stuff".

It's your choice if you like dainty, but for me, I enjoy the power and speed to which I could not have without straps and a kite. To each his own!

Surfkiternew
Medium Poster

Postby Surfkiternew » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:13 pm

But the point Is inthis tread..."do a kickflip"...
u can open One new" do a kickflip with twintip"

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Online kiteboard commenting, Fortnite.
Gear: World Sailing kite KOOKs. By kiters for kiters. #kitekooks

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:38 pm

You can glue yourself to your board and keep your kite high in the air to stop you from ever falling off.

The choice is yours. The easy way, or the hard way.

Wake skating is hard, but super fun. It is also way cheaper to buy a board... especially an old used wakeskate.

Most people give it a go, then give up.
These users thanked the author longwhitecloud for the post:
Matteo V (Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:14 pm)
Rating: 10%

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Foil kites on the snow

Postby Matteo V » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:11 pm

Surfkiternew wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:13 pm
But the point Is inthis tread..."do a kickflip"...
u can open One new" do a kickflip with twintip"
Yeah with a strapped super-heavy Liquid Force kite fish, you can still do it. Pain in the a--. and completely useless, but you can still do it. Same as strapless. Just put your feet on top of the straps, and you can call yourself strapless???

Learn my lesson long time ago strapless thinking I was cool. Turns out I was tool. Back to straps it was for me the float around, then and sting like a bee. No more dainty touchy surfboard like a strapless, more like sliding cutting, banging, as I wish I was when I was a surfer.

Sorry for not being able to pull off a back roll with a surfboard with no kite, butt loving the back roll with a kite, straps get rid of the limits, to which I would say surfing does bite.

Kitesurfing ain't surfing. But it's cool, if you want to simulate surfing with a kite.

Bottom line is, most kitesurfers with surfing experience wish their kiting could simulate there surfing. Me, I wish my surfing would simulate my kitesurfing.

Oh, and longy, what kind of super sticky wax do you use on your strapless kitesurf board? Is it closed enough to straps to pull off some "crazy stuff"? Or do you keep the kite tame enough to not pull you off the board?

Surfkiternew
Medium Poster

Postby Surfkiternew » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:43 pm

If u like to use your liquid force fish with straps we are Happy for u....but i use twintip straps so much in the past and my improving was stop..cannot learn nothing new becouse my Age level ecc ecc and cannot perform trick i learn when younger..very frustating...

.strapless from zero i learn and improve every session and enjoy kite again.
..keep going with straps until u love them nobody care ..enjoy the sea

Return to “Kitesurfing”