Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Dillon, Colorado ~ snow
Gear: CORE, EPIC
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Time for a better pump

Postby rickythecat » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:16 pm

Could the problem be the maintenance?

To address a few of the previous situations, 1) I also am pumping up my kites probably over 200 times a year. 2) 90% of those at near or below freezing temps. 3) Have NEVER maintained my pump. My pump, 4 years old, still works fine. My previous pump still works fine. Not sure what you guys are doing to wreck yours :roll: . I don't think it is the brand (mine happens to say Core, but guessing they are all the same). Now, Somewhat off topic, the issues I have had because of the cold - my pumps have gone to the wider and more 'beefy' plastic hoses. These get too brittle in the cold and break. Also, the 'kite end' of the hose inserts and hooks into the valve. I have had these 'hooks' break off over time. Assuming from cold weather, but maybe this happens to others?

But again, for those of you that are professing that you are religiously cleaning and lubing, and yet your pumps are wearing. Consider leaving your next pump alone - works for me :D

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:26 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:23 pm
dice wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:24 am
Ozone Kites AUS wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:32 am
Nothing here. I'm just frustrated that the pumps we are all using are actually really crap, poorly designed to last only a season or so (depends on how often you kite). I clean and lube my pumps frequently too! But even with regular cleaning, I'm lucky to get through a season without going through at least 2 pumps.
How do you wear them out that quickly?
Mine is 10yrs old, never cleaned, regularly used on sandy beaches.
Same for my friends, they all have old pumps that are never cleaned and still work fine.
Very odd you and friends havent experienced pumps wearing out...
Maybe different conditions and sand than most others, or you dont ride when close to the freezing point?

I've had pumps from many brands, and all of them has worn out...

About one year, and they get "less perfect", and on the second year they start to get worse and worse.

EVEN when you take care of them - I always stove them away when out, so they are not in the sand blowing on the beach, and, based on experience if you dont, I lube them regularly which at least doubles their lifetime, also try not to pump too fast as this is no good for the pumps either, and sometimes I clean them too.
Other riders here have had pumps that lasts longer, but they dont ride very often...

I am out more than 260 session per year, approximately 300 kites are pumped each year, roughly.

And NO pump of the different ones will last, unfortunately, they get less perfect after a year or so, meaning typically the double pump action deteriorates at first, slowly.

They dont cost much so easy to buy a new one, but you are right, it would be nice to have some that lasts - I would gladly pay the double amount for one :thumb:

8) Peter
It is sand and other foreign material inside pumps that destroys them. Use a pump with a filter, and regularly clean and lubricate both the filter and the pump internals. Lubricating a pump without first cleaning it merely increases the grinding effect inside the pump.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:19 pm

You might be right John, I dont know, as most often not sand blowing where I rig, but even one time might be sufficient to destroy maybe :D

If so, which pumps has a filter and which dont?

We could make a list here.

8) Peter

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:31 pm

rickythecat wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:16 pm
Could the problem be the maintenance?

To address a few of the previous situations, 1) I also am pumping up my kites probably over 200 times a year. 2) 90% of those at near or below freezing temps. 3) Have NEVER maintained my pump. My pump, 4 years old, still works fine.
Vintage, and subsequent quality control is the main issue that I have found with pumps. Given the exact same mold, some years lasted forever, some years blew out within the first few sessions.

Injection molding is a precision art. Yes, the parts produced are mass-produced, but everything must come together in a delicate ballet under the right conditions. Molds must be made correctly, plastic must be manufactured without impurities, plastic must be pre-heated to the right temperature, cooling times must be exact, injection molding machines must be maintained, and the final product must be handled properly until assembly.

All these things must come together. And the parts from one pump out of the exact same mold, may have tolerance issues due to all of the above factors, that create most of the issues that affect pump longevity and initial performance.

rickythecat
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Dillon, Colorado ~ snow
Gear: CORE, EPIC

Postby rickythecat » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:53 pm

Matteo V....So it's a kite pump lottery..And I'm winning!

Matt, on a side note - check out the Walmart post. We won't even have to go to lake mac. Just drive 4 hours and STAY at walmart. :)

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:56 pm

rickythecat wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:53 pm
Matteo V....So it's a kite pump lottery..And I'm winning!

Matt, on a side note - check out the Walmart post. We won't even have to go to lake mac. Just drive 4 hours and STAY at walmart. :)
Hacksaw, skateboard, and trainer kite, and I should be good to clear all the light poles from the Walmart parking lot and go kite skating without ever having to get sand from the dead center of the US, all over my bedding in my van.

Return to “Kitesurfing”