Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Time for a better pump

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:23 pm

dice wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:24 am
Ozone Kites AUS wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:32 am
Nothing here. I'm just frustrated that the pumps we are all using are actually really crap, poorly designed to last only a season or so (depends on how often you kite). I clean and lube my pumps frequently too! But even with regular cleaning, I'm lucky to get through a season without going through at least 2 pumps.

How do you wear them out that quickly?
Mine is 10yrs old, never cleaned, regularly used on sandy beaches.
Same for my friends, they all have old pumps that are never cleaned and still work fine.

Very odd you and friends havent experienced pumps wearing out...
Maybe different conditions and sand than most others, or you dont ride when close to the freezing point?

I've had pumps from many brands, and all of them has worn out...

About one year, and they get "less perfect", and on the second year they start to get worse and worse.

EVEN when you take care of them - I always stove them away when out, so they are not in the sand blowing on the beach, and, based on experience if you dont, I lube them regularly which at least doubles their lifetime, also try not to pump too fast as this is no good for the pumps either, and sometimes I clean them too.
Other riders here have had pumps that lasts longer, but they dont ride very often...

I am out more than 260 session per year, approximately 300 kites are pumped each year, roughly.

And NO pump of the different ones will last, unfortunately, they get less perfect after a year or so, meaning typically the double pump action deteriorates at first, slowly.

They dont cost much so easy to buy a new one, but you are right, it would be nice to have some that lasts - I would gladly pay the double amount for one :thumb:

8) Peter

Philicious
Rare Poster
Gear: North NEO (9 & 12m²), North Next (138cm)

Postby Philicious » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:37 pm

Off topic, but which oil do you use to lube them?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:43 pm

Surely the Ozone pump is superior quality and only fails because of user error (then later there's a recall)? :roll:

Still have an original pump I got ten years ago. Try not pumping so crookedly?

BenBen
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Northern Germany
Gear: Slingshot Rally, Naish Pivot, Airush Lithium, Crazyfly Raptor

Postby BenBen » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:33 pm

Surfkiternew wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:56 pm
With Slingshot work....dont know cabrinha i ll check
Not with these valves:

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V5, 11/14 Enduro v2, Zephyr V5, Edge V9 10M, Alpha V1 8/10M, Hyperlink V1 9/12m, Chrono V3 13M UL Axis Patrol 1.48, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" Ride engine carbon elite, rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisBoarding

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:51 am

dice wrote:
Ozone Kites AUS wrote:
Nothing here. I'm just frustrated that the pumps we are all using are actually really crap, poorly designed to last only a season or so (depends on how often you kite). I clean and lube my pumps frequently too! But even with regular cleaning, I'm lucky to get through a season without going through at least 2 pumps.
Same for my friends, they all have old pumps that are never cleaned and still work fine.
I kite a lot and with a group that do dowwinders, sometimes my pump is the only one for several kites. No offence meant to anyone that has a pump thats lasted 10 yrs, thats great but you must not kite much (also a 10yr old pump is crap compared to the newer ones with the inbuilt filter)

I like pumping my kites its a good warm up just wish it was with a pump that was well made and that would not be a bin job after 1 season (even though I clean them).

Kitemenn
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:14 am

BenBen wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:33 pm
Surfkiternew wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:56 pm
With Slingshot work....dont know cabrinha i ll check
Not with these valves:
Just change the adapter on the hose...5 min job

cor
Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:32 am

I have like a 100 kite days per year (+my gf another 50 Sessions maybe) and a pump does its job for roughly 4-5 years. I think that's fair, considering the low price for a new pump.

I maintain the pump fairly often and also, I only give it away to people I know and - very important - I never throw it in the sand because that is what kills your pump quickly in my opinion. I always put it back in the bag.

dice
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID

Postby dice » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:04 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:23 pm
dice wrote:
Ozone Kites AUS wrote:

Very odd you and friends havent experienced pumps wearing out...
Maybe different conditions and sand than most others, or you dont ride when close to the freezing point?

I've had pumps from many brands, and all of them has worn out...

About one year, and they get "less perfect", and on the second year they start to get worse and worse.

EVEN when you take care of them - I always stove them away when out, so they are not in the sand blowing on the beach, and, based on experience if you dont, I lube them regularly which at least doubles their lifetime, also try not to pump too fast as this is no good for the pumps either, and sometimes I clean them too.
Other riders here have had pumps that lasts longer, but they dont ride very often...

I am out more than 260 session per year, approximately 300 kites are pumped each year, roughly.

And NO pump of the different ones will last, unfortunately, they get less perfect after a year or so, meaning typically the double pump action deteriorates at first, slowly.

They dont cost much so easy to buy a new one, but you are right, it would be nice to have some that lasts - I would gladly pay the double amount for one :thumb:

8) Peter
I don't pump that often, at my homespot we also have a elektric pump. But over 10 years it's been used at least 500 times. I often share with whoever asks for it, I throw it in the sand, I absolutely do nothing to keep it clean :D.
My temperatures range from 5 degrees up to 35 degrees, I don't kite in subzero conditions (as they don't often occur here either).
It's perfectly possible that a new pump will do its job much better than mine, but I don't feel like spending 25 euros when mine is still doing fine.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:12 pm

So what can we conclude now?

It seems some pumps last almost forever, 10 years for some, but the same pumps (most likely, but we dont know), can last quite short for some, less than a year.

Then it could be a huge production margin so some are just fine, others wont last, and not necessarily about use and maintenance only?

Odd it is so different...

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”