aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Re: Woo Screen App - real time jump display

Postby aleks » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:48 pm

Got it. I updated the watch app to display time in format based on the system settings - either 12 or 24 hours. The watch itself doesn't have these settings, so it uses settings defined on the connected phone. You would have to set it up on the phone (in settings) - after that Woo Screen app will start displaying time in chosen format automatically.

This change will come with the next release, hopefully in couple days. Look out for update v 0.73.

There is another change in the interface that I've been testing and will release now. If you enable GPS, the Jump screen will be displayed in reverse colors - white screen with black text. This is to easily differentiate between the Speed and Jump screens - red top on the Speed screen wasn't visible enough. I tested it on water and it works fine - black text on white background has the same visibility outdoors as white on black. Also removed red top background on Speed screen as it is no longer needed. White background will use more battery on amoled screens, but since it will only be used to display jumps for short periods of time (and display speed the rest of the time), the impact should be negligible. If GPS is disabled, there is no change - jump screen is still white on black.
These users thanked the author aleks for the post:
Guttorm (Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:54 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:54 pm

Baptiste_FR wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:59 pm
About that matter, I agree with Joris. I also prefer the "24 Hours" time format. Not that is very essential, just easier for me.
But still, the app is great adn I can't wait to use it soon!!
Thanks Baptiste :D . I almost forgot - based on the video you sent me, I made a little change in the Woo Bluetooth connection algorithm. Since scanning for WOOs seemed to help you connect after turning off airplane mode, I added scanning to the connection sequence. It is all behind the scene, so no need to do anything. Give it a try, see if it makes any difference and let know :thumb:

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby joriws » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:21 am

Well my phone is in 24h format (EU), and on 12:10 "midnight clock" Wooscreen was not displaying AM/PM, only the time digits. Maybe it is Fossil Sport-feature, I don't know. But I just was surprised about format I saw.

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:51 pm

joriws wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:21 am
Well my phone is in 24h format (EU), and on 12:10 "midnight clock" Wooscreen was not displaying AM/PM, only the time digits. Maybe it is Fossil Sport-feature, I don't know. But I just was surprised about format I saw.
Perhaps I misunderstood you, sorry :( . It looks like the absence of AM/PM was the source of confusion. That was done intentionally, to save screen space and be able to use bigger font size (for better visibility). Typically showing AM/PM for the current time is optional - you already know what it is :D .

After the 0.73 update it should go to the way you like - same 24h format as set on your phone, 0:15, 20:15, etc. Let me know how it works for you.

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Postby Baptiste_FR » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:20 pm

aleks wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:54 pm
Thanks Baptiste :D . I almost forgot - based on the video you sent me, I made a little change in the Woo Bluetooth connection algorithm. Since scanning for WOOs seemed to help you connect after turning off airplane mode, I added scanning to the connection sequence. It is all behind the scene, so no need to do anything. Give it a try, see if it makes any difference and let know :thumb:
That's magic !!!!! Now it works everytime. I've done a few tests withactivating/desactivating plane mode ; switching off the Woo, closing the App... it always reconnect easily with this new modification. No more search during long seconds. The App detects the Woo in 3-7 seconds (and with only 8% battery ;-)
Thank you so much !!

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:36 pm

Baptiste_FR wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:20 pm
That's magic !!!!! Now it works everytime. I've done a few tests withactivating/desactivating plane mode ; switching off the Woo, closing the App... it always reconnect easily with this new modification. No more search during long seconds. The App detects the Woo in 3-7 seconds (and with only 8% battery ;-)
Thank you so much !!
I'm happy it helps. Thanks for letting me know :thumb:

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:45 pm

Just published a small update to the Woo Screen app. Only one new feature - whenever you have a new max height jump in a session, you get notified with a triple vibration pattern (thanks for the idea Gin :thumb: ).
Also fixed logic in ignoring sequential jump when it is less than half height and within 15 seconds of the first jump. I noticed it wasn't working correctly during my last few sessions.
Look out for update v 0.75 in the Play Store 8)
These users thanked the author aleks for the post (total 2):
joriws (Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:50 pm) • Guttorm (Sun May 03, 2020 11:36 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Mon May 18, 2020 10:08 pm

Hey All! I saw that quite a few people got exited about the upcoming Surfr app! So, I thought I would remind everyone that Woo Screen app also can show jump height on a phone :D (from a WOO of course).

In fact, the app was originally conceived as an inexpensive display for WOO, and a phone still remains the cheapest option for such display - I use old Nexus 4 I bought for $10 :lol: . Watch is more convenient, but if you need something cheap just to try to see if you need live WOO data - phone is your best option.

One advantage of Woo Screen is that you don't have to mount your phone on a board. You can have it on your sleeve, hang around your neck, etc. Mounting on a board works too, if you manage to find a good mount :thumb: .

mkNY
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Tobay Beach, Oak Beach, Gilgo Beach
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne - Mauritius, Kite Beach - DR, Silver Sands - Barbados, Cape Hatteras - NC, Long Bay Beach - T&C
Style: Freeride\BigAir
Gear: 2020 Duotone Rebel 7/9/12
Shinn Bronq
Ride Engine
Woooooo
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby mkNY » Tue May 19, 2020 2:48 pm

Hey Aleks, love the app on my fossil watch!

One thing I noticed is that your app loses history if the Woo disconnects mid session. So even though my Woo is on and my highest jump was let's say 10M, on re-connecting after a crash the watch starts from scratch and loses that history.

thanks!

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Tue May 19, 2020 3:28 pm

mkNY wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:48 pm
Hey Aleks, love the app on my fossil watch!

One thing I noticed is that your app loses history if the Woo disconnects mid session. So even though my Woo is on and my highest jump was let's say 10M, on re-connecting after a crash the watch starts from scratch and loses that history.

thanks!
Thanks for the feedback!

Can you give me a bit more details on what exactly is happening? Does the app exit and you have to restart it, etc.?

Here is what might be happening. By design, the app keeps the session even if you exit it accidentally or system closes it. So normally, if you exit the app with the power button and start it within 30 minutes, it should continue the same session. After 30 minutes it will start a new session. However, on watches with extra non-power buttons I made a shortcut to resetting a session. If you press and hold any non-power button for about 3 seconds, the app exits and resets the session immediately. Also, holding the button is a little tricky. After 2-3 seconds of holding, the watch will vibrate and you should release the button at that point - if you keep holding it, the watch's launcher will take it as an input and perform an action assigned to that button. I usually have Woo Screen app assigned to that button, so if I over hold that button, it will reset session and relaunch the app instead of exiting it :(

That is what might be accidentally happening with your watch during a crash. Try wearing the watch on the right hand to avoid accidental button presses - wrist bend during a crash can make all kinds of button pushes :D

If it doesn't help or apply, let me know and I'll try to see if there is a bug in my app. Please include as many details as you can - what happens, what you see on the watch, etc. It helps we to figure out the problem.

Thanks!
These users thanked the author aleks for the post:
Guttorm (Wed May 20, 2020 12:18 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”