aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Woo Screen App - real time jump display

Postby aleks » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:16 am

I've been a fan of Woo since version 1.0. It was exiting when Woo announced support for real time jump display on smart watches. Unfortunately the official Woo app on watches (I tried both Android and Apple watches) had some issues (especially on Android) that made it hard to use at times. That is why I decided to write my own app. Here is the result :D :

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .wooscreen

For now Woo Screen app works only on Android phones, but I'm working on a version for Android watches as well (Wear OS to be exact) which should be finished soon. You can use fairly old cheap phones - theoretically minimum Android OS version requirement is 4.3. I myself run it on Nexus 4 that I bought specifically for this purpose for $10 :D . One advantage of the phone over the watch is that it can display a lot more information. Below are some screenshots of the app and short demo video.

The App is not free (sorry all :( ) - it took over 3 months of work to create it, way longer than I initially expected. However at $2.49USD it is not going to break your bank either :) . Your other expenses might include a cheap phone, waterproof bag, armband or DYI board mount - all together should be under $50 total. For snow season I use phone without waterproofing, just in an armband.

Feel free to send me your suggestions and feedback - the app is still under active development and I can fix most of the problems fairly quickly.
Thanks all!
Screenshot_20200202-131815_Woo Screen_resize.jpg
Screenshot_20200202-131859_Woo Screen_resize.jpg
Last edited by aleks on Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author aleks for the post (total 4):
Leon van Bergen (Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:38 am) • mutexx (Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:57 am) • Guttorm (Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:34 pm) • joriws (Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:28 pm)
Rating: 12.12%

mutexx
Rare Poster
Local Beach: AzovKite
Gear: Slingshot + Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: WOO Screen App - real time jump display on a phone

Postby mutexx » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:36 am

Congratulations with the release of the application my friend! For good suggestions, real tests are needed, but it seems to me it would be useful to be able to select the necessary fields, color and their size for user requairments. For example, design the main screen as an external HTML template as skin for your application
These users thanked the author mutexx for the post:
aleks (Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:31 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:43 am

Aleks, nice job and respect that you put so much time into it. I don't see the assembly completely but hopefully good suggestions will come soon!

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:13 am

Like the development on WOO from others...can we do more with the available data too? @aleks Can you see direction of movement for example? Or rotations or loops during high jumps?

Would be great if we can add some functionailty because WOO is so slow...waiting for months now and they are not living up to the expectations they set.

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:49 pm

mutexx wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:36 am
Congratulations with the release of the application my friend! For good suggestions, real tests are needed, but it seems to me it would be useful to be able to select the necessary fields, color and their size for user requairments. For example, design the main screen as an external HTML template as skin for your application
Thanks mutexx, you are an inspiration :thumb: !

The App is still raw, I expect there will be lots of work left even with the main functionality. More field tests required too...

I thought about more flexibility with data fields and colors, and I might try to implement it later. However I think the current layout/colors will be used the most anyway. Black background was chosen to conserve energy on amoled screen devices. White text is the easiest to see in direct sunlight - people had problems seeing blue color text on sunny days.

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:52 pm

Kitemenn wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:13 am
Like the development on WOO from others...can we do more with the available data too? @aleks Can you see direction of movement for example? Or rotations or loops during high jumps?

Would be great if we can add some functionailty because WOO is so slow...waiting for months now and they are not living up to the expectations they set.
Thanks Kitemenn, I replied to to you on the "Woo Sports Updates" thread, check it out there!

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:29 pm

I finally released the app for Android Wear OS watches (minimum requirement Wear OS 2.0):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .wooscreen

Here is a quick demo:

You don't need to interact with the watch while you are riding - most useful information is on the main screen. The screen stays on all the time, except for when the watch is submerged in water. Android considers it a palm gesture and turns the screen off, but it turns back (on the app screen) either after a few seconds or after you tilt or touch the watch. I recommend turning off "Always-on screen" option in watch settings - otherwise you might see watch face displayed for a short period of time before it switches back to the app.

I took some precautions against accidental touches. If you just touch the screen, nothing will happen. To get to settings, you need to double tap. To switch to the secondary info screen (and back to main), you need to swipe up or down, or press any non-power button (if your watch has them).

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions :thumb:
These users thanked the author aleks for the post:
Guttorm (Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:19 am)

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:33 pm

Unbelievable WOO is were not able to make something like this before...these guys don't really put the money where there mouth is!

Props for you making the effort to create something like it...don't have an OS watch but otherwise would have given it a try!
These users thanked the author Kitemenn for the post:
aleks (Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:12 pm)

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:17 pm

Kitemenn wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:33 pm
Unbelievable WOO is were not able to make something like this before...these guys don't really put the money where there mouth is!

Props for you making the effort to create something like it...don't have an OS watch but otherwise would have given it a try!
Thanks Kitemenn! Google Wear OS watches can work with iPhones too. You can buy one pretty cheap now - look up Fossil Sport, it is under $99 now :D

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby joriws » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:27 pm

I purchased this app because of Wear OS support and I'll be testing this with my trusty old Sony Smartwatch 3. I see official Woo app is not anymore installed on clock.

Just out of curiosity, is Woo Screen using also GPS if found on watch? To get the track and the jump statistics would be nice.. It would be nice to have GPX file output with track and jump event as waypoint. And maybe as selectable option because GPS takes more battery..

Or even otherway round, if woo is not connected but GPS is there, offer GPS only mode..

For example for snowkiting GPS speed display, and maybe 2s speed (typical for speed challenges) and kited distance and time.

Return to “Kitesurfing”