Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How To Heli Loop / Downloop / Landing Loop for big jumps big air | Get High with Mike

Forum for kitesurfers
Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

How To Heli Loop / Downloop / Landing Loop for big jumps big air | Get High with Mike

Postby Leon van Bergen » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:52 pm

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Re: How To Heli Loop / Downloop / Landing Loop for big jumps big air | Get High with Mike

Postby Baptiste_FR » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:38 pm

Very interesting and useful video.
However, I don't completely understand what he means by "park the kite". Do I have to keep the kite at 1 or 2 o'clock during the jump and then send the loop (and not keeping the kite at 12 during the jump). Is that so ?

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: How To Heli Loop / Downloop / Landing Loop for big jumps big air | Get High with Mike

Postby Leon van Bergen » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:49 pm

Baptiste_FR wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:38 pm
However, I don't completely understand what he means by "park the kite". Do I have to keep the kite at 1 or 2 o'clock during the jump and then send the loop (and not keeping the kite at 12 during the jump). Is that so ?
Yes is think first to 12 and after that to 1 of 11 and park..

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cor » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:06 pm

Baptiste_FR wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:38 pm
Yes. Basically park the kite at 1 or 2 after you've sent it and let your body swing under it. Then, after the apex (and when you swung under it), you pull on your front hand to make a downloop (front hand). If you want to make a kiteloop (back hand) instead, you should park the kite at 11 before you pull.

I am however not sure with his statement that you should try that on a 12m first... Maybe with a c-shaped kite, yes. But timing becomes more difficult with slower kites. I would rather recommend a 9 or a 10 in decent but not too strong winds.
These users thanked the author cor for the post:
Baptiste_FR (Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Postby Baptiste_FR » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:15 pm

cor wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:06 pm
Yes. Basically park the kite at 1 or 2 after you've sent it and let your body swing under it. Then, after the apex (and when you swung under it), you pull on your front hand to make a downloop (front hand). If you want to make a kiteloop (back hand) instead, you should park the kite at 11 before you pull.

I am however not sure with his statement that you should try that on a 12m first... Maybe with a c-shaped kite, yes. But timing becomes more difficult with slower kites. I would rather recommend a 9 or a 10 in decent but not too strong winds.
Thank you ! It is clear now. I'm gonna try that next time.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:31 pm

cor wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:06 pm
I do that with my 11m Pivot when I am normally powered very frequently. You just have to be quick to steer the kite forward after take off and back for the kiteloop/heliloop on the decend. For me it really helps building and maintaining the muscle memory while the conditions are harmless.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:30 pm

This guy sure knows how to swear :) Nice tutorial

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:21 am

The thing I liked of the tutorial is that you should not pull too hard on your heliloops as it doesnt generate the lift you need. Also eye openener is to use the front/back hand heliloop depending on the situation...always used the backhand (both directions) as it makes for an easy continuation of your ride as the kite will go into the direction you will go.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:13 am

Great tutorial of the real deal! Obviously the further you swing under the kite the more room you have to do an open loop near the vertical axis, the video even talks about sheeting out to get kite further upwind and this is just what I have been trying to experiment with of late Trouble is, I get the heebie jeebies if I feel the kite getting upwind of me - worried about getting an irrecoverable luff to Hindenburg. I have two questions:

1. Does the downward velocity from a big jump almost eradicate the risk of the kite luffing?
2. What is the best way to explore the limits of the amount of swing under that you can safely use?

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:57 am

Herman wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:13 am
1. Does the downward velocity from a big jump almost eradicate the risk of the kite luffing?
2. What is the best way to explore the limits of the amount of swing under that you can safely use?
1. As long as you keep tension in the lines, you won't luff it. If you somehow slack them.. well good luck. Think I've only ever done it on a megaloop by not pulling the second recovery loop because someone short tacked in front of me.
2. Depends on the kite, but I imagine just jumping a little early with the kite in front of you rather than overhead. That should get you moving underneath it with smaller jumps.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:
Herman (Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:34 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”