Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

quiver advice: OR prodigy 9.5 vs flite 8/10 for foil + freeride.

Forum for kitesurfers
vakiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.
Brand Affiliation: None

quiver advice: OR prodigy 9.5 vs flite 8/10 for foil + freeride.

Postby vakiter » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:05 am

hi, i have a quiver of flites 8/10/12. just picked up a ozone edge 7m for high wind.

i am considering selling the 8/10 and getting a 9.5 prodigy instead. i freeride and foil. i love the flites for their quickness, depower range, and handling when de-powered (especially when on foil). however, they stall a bit when down-wind foiling, and relaunch is challenging when foiling.

thinking to replace the 8/10 with a prodigy 9.5 in hopes that it can drift a bit better, and improve relaunch.

7m edge/ 9.5m prodigy / 12 flite.

open to suggestions, or curious if people have foiled on prodigy 9.5.

(i am 150lbs/68kg and generally ride like a lite-weight, meaning smaller kites then others. )

the flite 8m is kind of a weird kite idea.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Re: quiver advice: OR prodigy 9.5 vs flite 8/10 for foil + freeride.

Postby GregK » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:12 am

Foremost recommendation I'll make it to try before you buy if at all possible. What YOU like in kite is such an individual thing, I doubt anyone here can suggest what YOU will like best.

And IMO I'd forget the Prodigy and replace your Flites with a 10m Aluula Roam.

vakiter
Frequent Poster

Postby vakiter » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:14 am

yeah if money grew on trees

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:41 am

I've flown all of the kites you are referencing, and I'd actually go with either last year's 9.5m Roam or this year's 9. It drifts better than the Prodigy and is great for foiling, the downside is if you are looking to boost, it's not as good as the Prodigy. Roam is a bit quicker I think on pivoting around as well.
These users thanked the author adamj2281 for the post:
vakiter (Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:20 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

grtlakes
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: ontario Nickel and Sunset
Favorite Beaches: hatteras area,
nickel beach, sunset beach
Style: Erratic
Gear: Armstrong 1050 2400, mako king,NHP split, OR flites and prodigy

Postby grtlakes » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:20 am

I own flites (10-12-17) and prodigy kites (8 9.5). I much prefer the flites. I find the prodigy has heavier bar pressure and reacts much slower. Drift is better but self landing can be erratic. To each his own. My buddy loves the prodigy over the flites.
As previously mentioned try before you buy.
These users thanked the author grtlakes for the post:
vakiter (Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:20 pm)

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:34 am

Replacing 8 and 10 with one kite,9.5 means less chance you will be in the sweetspot each session, constricts the low and top end range. Unless you rode a prodigy and thought it really clicked for you. Personally I would keep the 8+10 unless they are worn out and in need of replacement.
Ultra light wind relaunch will be about the same with the prodigy, still requiring finesse/opposite front line pull in very light breeze, maybe even a slight advantage to the flites depending on technique used as they are significantly lighter.
Drift would be improved with prodigy, but not like night and day. Flite considering its a higher aspect shape has surprisingly decent drift when its repositioned deep before turning downwind, but yeah the prodigy would drift better.

vakiter
Frequent Poster

Postby vakiter » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:28 pm

thanks for all the useful suggestions. i agree that quiver advice is hard to give, with personal preference so variable, but i learned a lot about kites from reading this forum (like the flite). i kite in rural VA, and trying a kite out is not that feasible. i dont buy new (too much $$), so my method is to buy used around 300-500$, and try sell without much loss if i dont like it.

the flite's light bar pressure is a great feature (especially in winter with gloves).
trying to get a kite that drifts better and still boosts is maybe a lost cause. i was hoping to have one quiver which transitions from foil to boosting as the kite size got smaller. was also looking at dice/enduro 9m.

but maybe i am going to have to have a couple overlapping in the middle. . .

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:13 pm

You got a lot of really good advice in here, vakiter. I mostly love boosting on a twintip, but also spend a good bit of time foiling. I've got Flites in 12 and 17 and Prodigy 9.5 and 7. Actually, I just bought a Crave 9, so there's that, too. ;)

The Flites are a little lighter and seek the edge of the window a little easier, which I like for foiling. The Prodigy is a little better at drift, but seems a smidge heavier (I've never weighed them, so that's strictly my gut feeling). The Flites are really responsive, so being active with them can sort of compensate for lack of drift. I've only managed to foil the Crave once (this was a 12m), but it seems to have fairly similar drift to the Prodigy. More time will tell, but that's what I've observed so far. And for what it's worth, I think that GregK has it spot on; that Aluula Roam will fit the bill for both foiling AND boosting. We had guys here at our demo that were getting some stupidly good loops on the 10m while other people were riding 12's and 14's. Pretty good for a "surf" kite. ;)

vakiter
Frequent Poster

Postby vakiter » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:25 pm

thank for advice SENDIT!, i thought your light wind kite comparison video featuring the flite 17 was one of the most useful reviews on the internet. i really like the format of having several reviewers, reviewing several brands of a class of kite.

i could use more common man kite reviews!
These users thanked the author vakiter for the post:
SENDIT! (Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:41 pm)

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:47 pm

Thanks for the kind words, vakiter. We did it b/c we kept getting the same questions over and over about light wind kites and felt like we should just do a review, but use people of varying skills, sizes, etc..to make it more relatable for the "average joe". Glad you liked it. I think you'll be seeing them again. ;)

Also, got another boosting session in on the Crave 12. This just may be my new favorite kite. I'll confirm it if I can ever get out on the 9m! :roll: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”