Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Firewire Hydroshort kite version

Forum for kitesurfers
Onda
Frequent Poster
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:12 am
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: North Sea (NL)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Baltic Sea (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, increasing foiling
Gear: CORE / Flysurfer / Naish / Firewire / Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 31 times
Contact:

Re: Firewire Hydroshort kite version

Postby Onda » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:45 am

Another point:
When you have to cross whitewater a lot when heading out (like in Netherlands), then a pointy nose makes this much easier than the blunt "nose" of the Vader. Hydroshort will be intermediate here, I guess.
And sorry, but I cannot leave one thing about the ProWam unwritten here: It is by far the smoothest ride over choppy water (windswell!) I have ever experienced. I don´t understand how this could be, as the board has no flex at all and looks rather conventional by its shape. It is somehow magic (thanks Sky S.!). The Vader feels much more uncomfortable here.

User avatar
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1609
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:00 am
Has thanked: 171 times
Been thanked: 144 times

Re: Firewire Hydroshort kite version

Postby purdyd » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:23 pm

Onda wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:39 am
I´m pretty sure Vader and Hydroshort is too similar / too much overlap.
I have a Vader 5.1 and a Duotone Pro Wam 5.10. For me, these boards perfectly complement each other. Vader for tricks and small waves (chest hight maybe), the ProWam for larger waves. In larger waves you (I) really want that stable drive and the surfy turning characteristics of a more classic shape. The Vader - for my taste - is too skatey here. And even if the Hydroshort will be more like a classic surfboard, it is still very much "Vader-like".
If I would travel a lot and would need a one-board solution for various conditions, I´d probably test the Hydroshort.
The Vader with its super light weight is still my dream board for jumping and tricks. Makes everything so easy :D And it is super durable as well. Extremely well done, Firewire.
The 5’ 6” hydroshort would be equivalent to the 2020 5’ 9” pro wam. They would be the same volume and width. They both have a square pin tail and are all around classic wave shapes.

I’m not sure what makes the hydroshort too Vader like as the hydroshort has plenty of drive.

The hydroshort nose is fine for clearing the white water, and to prevent pearling on a wave face or bottom turn.

The hydroshort has plenty of control at speed so I think it is more than capable to surfing bigger steeper stuff. I guess it would remain to be seen by me if the tail can hold in rougher conditions.
These users thanked the author purdyd for the post:
adamj2281 (Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:13 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

wara-wara
Rare Poster
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:21 pm
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Zandvoort (NL)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk Aan Zee (NL)
Le Morne (MRU)
Style: Strapples only and some foiling
Gear: Slingshot SST 6, 8, 10m
Airush Ultra V2 12m
Firewire Vader 5.1"
Mitu ESL 5.8"
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: The Netherlands
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Firewire Hydroshort kite version

Postby wara-wara » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:54 pm

Thanks @BudhaNl & @adamj2281 for your feedback.

Just like @purdyd says i'm not yet convinced about the overlap between the Hydroshort and the Vader. On the freestyle side of things I can understand the overlap. But not for the bigger waves. There is some overlap but definitely enough unique qualities in each board to make them shine in different conditions (on paper). The Dutch waves are not as clean, big and powerful as for example One Eye in Mauritius. So I'm not looking for a performance board for those conditions. Just something mid range.

I have had a Naish Global and didn't like it in the Dutch waves. The pure classic shape is not my cup of tea. The thing that attracts me to the Hydroshort is the size (for traveling), nose (just enough to prevent nose diving) and construction (the vader helium feels really comfy).

I will try to test the board and i'm curious to see what others have to say about the board here.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 604
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:21 am
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo
Location: Charleston, SC
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Firewire Hydroshort kite version

Postby adamj2281 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:37 pm

wara-wara wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:54 pm
Thanks @BudhaNl & @adamj2281 for your feedback.

Just like @purdyd says i'm not yet convinced about the overlap between the Hydroshort and the Vader. On the freestyle side of things I can understand the overlap. But not for the bigger waves. There is some overlap but definitely enough unique qualities in each board to make them shine in different conditions (on paper). The Dutch waves are not as clean, big and powerful as for example One Eye in Mauritius. So I'm not looking for a performance board for those conditions. Just something mid range.

I have had a Naish Global and didn't like it in the Dutch waves. The pure classic shape is not my cup of tea. The thing that attracts me to the Hydroshort is the size (for traveling), nose (just enough to prevent nose diving) and construction (the vader helium feels really comfy).

I will try to test the board and i'm curious to see what others have to say about the board here.
Yeah, you are pretty much spot on in this analysis, although I'm still waiting for a session with a wave above waist high because I think it will really show it's true colors then. The Hydroshort was attractive to me because I believe it can handle anything in terms of wave size/power/shape that I'm going to be on 95% of the time - that means waist to slightly overhead surf, but still mushy, nothing like One Eye or a steep, fast wave. So, in that aspect I think it is a nice addition to the quiver so that you still have a board that has the quick swing weight and lower overall length of a vader/csc type shape, but can handle bigger surf. The other aspect, similar to you, is travelling with it, I have plans to hit Barbados and a couple other spots once travel starts back up, and while I like the Whip CSC shape in a 5'2", I wouldn't want to rely on it for every type of wave I might see on a trip. I think the Hydroshort has the range to deal with small stuff and then really excel in the slightly bigger surf, hope this helps. I'll report back once I get a larger wave session on it.
These users thanked the author adamj2281 for the post:
wara-wara (Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:29 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

Kikizme
Rare Poster
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:19 am
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Cap ferret , south west France
Favorite Beaches: Cap ferret
Style: Strapless waves
Gear: Stallion, firewire 5.6 hydroshort, BWS kite
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Firewire Hydroshort kite version

Postby Kikizme » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:58 pm

Hi from france🇫🇷.

I just bought a 5.6 hydroshort. I am 75 kilogrammes , only surf , no jump.

The board is very light and lively, 3 fins (fcs H4 médium).

Positive point: fast, good upwind ability, snappy +++, turns are / can be very tight 👍. Volume allow me not to lose speed in thé bottom zone (current zone).

Négative point: It seems for the moment ( it my only session with This board ), that it was hard to contrôl the long bottom turn at full speed. Only complain

Here is a little footage, 45 minutes compressed in One minute:

http://www.straplesskitesurfing.com/202 ... tesurfing/

If you have any questions . ( quiver : celeritas 5.8, stallion 5.2, BWS gears 😢...(RIP)).
These users thanked the author Kikizme for the post (total 2):
adamj2281 (Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:25 pm) • chalks (Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:37 pm)
Rating: 16.67%

User avatar
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1609
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:00 am
Has thanked: 171 times
Been thanked: 144 times

Re: Firewire Hydroshort kite version

Postby purdyd » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:42 pm

I finally got the 5’4” hydroshort out in some real winds and waves on the southern Oregon Coast of USA.

Full disclosure, I put straps on the board. Using the FireWire fins in a trifin setup. They are really decent fins.

It was big, windy, cold, and nasty. 8m kite down to 5m depowered.

3m average swell down to a kinder 1.6m swell.

I was worried about the tail holding in those conditions but it never skipped out.

The length is perfect and I had no problem popping over white water or coming down a steep face. I had the board almost vertical nose down on some close out breaks and did not pearl the nose.

I could take wide or short bottom turns, no issue.

I did have one afternoon where the waves were big and some 2 foot chop formed at the bottom of the wave, I think because of the tide, and that was a bit uncomfortable to take at speed. Maybe a narrower board would have helped.

This is really a great all around kite board.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 604
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:21 am
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo
Location: Charleston, SC
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Firewire Hydroshort kite version

Postby adamj2281 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:32 pm

Kikizme wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:58 pm
Hi from france🇫🇷.

I just bought a 5.6 hydroshort. I am 75 kilogrammes , only surf , no jump.

The board is very light and lively, 3 fins (fcs H4 médium).

Positive point: fast, good upwind ability, snappy +++, turns are / can be very tight 👍. Volume allow me not to lose speed in thé bottom zone (current zone).

Négative point: It seems for the moment ( it my only session with This board ), that it was hard to contrôl the long bottom turn at full speed. Only complain

Here is a little footage, 45 minutes compressed in One minute:

http://www.straplesskitesurfing.com/202 ... tesurfing/

If you have any questions . ( quiver : celeritas 5.8, stallion 5.2, BWS gears 😢...(RIP)).
Nice video......I have the same opinion of the Hydroshort (I'm on a 5'4", 78 kg). I've had it out in decent surf finally, actually yesterday was powered up 9m conditions in waist/chest-ish surf. I"m holding out final opinion until I get a few frontside days, most of our summer wind is on my backside.

Same opinion for most part with about 10-15 sessions on it, quick, nimble, fast. But it can feel a bit skiddish with speed, I'm actually thinking of going to a larger fin, I'm running medium Quobbas right now, and I swapped out the center fin (thruster setup) with the large quobba (they threw one in as a spare) on my last session and it seemed to help. I think it would feel a bit more locked in with a large fin, whereas I normally ride mediums on all of my kiteboards.

It definitely is very lively, and no issues with steeper waves, just handling speed at this point.

On a side note - I'm interested in a surf/kite trip to France next summer (June/July-ish) any tips on where to go? Cap Ferret was on my list, working my way down the coastline into Spain possibly. PM me if you have any tips, etc.
These users thanked the author adamj2281 for the post:
Kikizme (Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:36 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

Kikizme
Rare Poster
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:19 am
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Cap ferret , south west France
Favorite Beaches: Cap ferret
Style: Strapless waves
Gear: Stallion, firewire 5.6 hydroshort, BWS kite
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Firewire Hydroshort kite version

Postby Kikizme » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:03 pm

Hi,

Thanks Adamj2281.

I have thé same analyse, I will try another set up for fins: maybe larger for thé central fin.
Have you tried with quad set up ? Large / médium ?
Maybe more stability for carving ?
My FCS H4 had really upgraded my old celeritas but it seems that This firewire needs as you Said a bit more control.
I had a stallion 5.2 and for me This 5.6 can turn tighter but is more instable.
Çan’t wait to snap the lip with it again ... This is really an impressive toy 🤩.



I am New on thé forum so I can’t sens you PM.
Add me on insta=

jaimylepaquet2

You will see many contents about Cap-Ferret. It Will be a pleasure for me to help you .June-July are thé best for Thermical wind : not strong wind but very clean on punchy beach break.
This year was really great with some epic days.

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:03 pm
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Firewire Hydroshort kite version

Postby BudhaNl » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:40 am

Kikizme wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:03 pm
Hi,

Thanks Adamj2281.

I have thé same analyse, I will try another set up for fins: maybe larger for thé central fin.
Have you tried with quad set up ? Large / médium ?
Maybe more stability for carving ?
My FCS H4 had really upgraded my old celeritas but it seems that This firewire needs as you Said a bit more control.
I had a stallion 5.2 and for me This 5.6 can turn tighter but is more instable.
Çan’t wait to snap the lip with it again ... This is really an impressive toy 🤩.



I am New on thé forum so I can’t sens you PM.
Add me on insta=

jaimylepaquet2

You will see many contents about Cap-Ferret. It Will be a pleasure for me to help you .June-July are thé best for Thermical wind : not strong wind but very clean on punchy beach break.
This year was really great with some epic days.
Did you ever try the Stallion Overhead, seems more comparable in tighter turns to the Hydroshort?

riddim1
Rare Poster
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:32 am
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Australia
Favorite Beaches: Spot X
Style: wave, foil
Gear: Naish, Firewire, J Shapes, Lift
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Firewire Hydroshort kite version

Postby riddim1 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:33 am

I’ve been on an LFT 5.1 Vader for the past 4 years but now want something closer to a traditional shape. I’m not much into the freestyle anymore where the Vader excelled. Seems a Hydroshort 5.4 may be a good all-round option for 2ft wind generated, short period waves up to head high, cross-shore stuff. I ride a Helium FW Seaside 5.6 and it’s bullet proof even with standard glass.

I’d like to know from any Aussie forum readers where I could buy a kite version of the Hydroshort? Are there any dealers or is it all online orders etc.

Cheers 🍻
These users thanked the author riddim1 for the post:
Vibone (Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:50 pm)
Rating: 8.33%


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 37 guests