Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Firewire Hydroshort kite version

Forum for kitesurfers
adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Re: Firewire Hydroshort kite version

Postby adamj2281 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:18 pm

Ok, so here's my update. Primary takeaway is don't and I repeat, don't use Quobba fins with this board. No knock on the board or Quobbas, they work fine on other boards. The confluence of a foil-type water flow off the fin towards the tail and the deep channeling through the center of the board made it unnecessarily loose. I said this in previous posts that the board felt skiddish, well it's not the board it was the fins in my case. Total mistake on my part, I should have thought about that when I grabbed those fins.

Anyways, I set it up as a thruster with JJ-2 fins and it's solid, predictable, great handling. Got a few frontside days, and it's exactly what I wanted. Quick snaps, rail to rail quick, handles everything well. I will say it's less forgiving than my other boards, once I started to get tired and my legs were getting a bit wobbly it was easy to stuff the nose or bury the rail if not paying attention. It is not a plug and play easy going type of board, but it's the first one where I get the tail to whip way around so that the fins are out and pointing downwind.

So, after a few posts, here's my takeaways:

1. Great choice for a smaller length board that can still handle relatively larger waves.
2. Fast and light rail to rail, channels take a bit to get used to, when you get foot placement right they hold really well and lock the board in a bit.
3. Don't use Quobba fins! (Just for this board, anything else without channeling will work, and they say that on their page).

I'm 175 lbs./78kg on the 5'4" for reference, the fins I use are Mediums and more on the hold/control side of things.

Kikizme
Rare Poster
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Cap ferret , south west France
Favorite Beaches: Cap ferret
Style: Strapless waves
Gear: Stallion, firewire 5.6 hydroshort, BWS kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kikizme » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:04 pm

5 sessions:

I tested This board in Side-on shore conditions. I décided to skip thé set up and go for quad version with Carbon carve fins, to improve control in bottom turn with speed.

This is a good option for upwind hability really , and manœuvrability with speed... no doubt about This .

The board keep a really Nice Pivot, and tight curves are still allowed wich is for me the best point of This board. But The carver fins fcs2 do not Allow same slashy hability fins .

Négative point : the board is really stiff and in rough ( =not glassy) conditions it can be difficult to keep control. That was for me the best point of the stallion and stallion overhead éven in these conditions.

So : really great board, not a light wind board, amazing curves/pivot hability. A bit stiff in bad conditions.

My last session Monday with This board . 17-20 knots/ side on, Plenty of current, beach break/shore-break, south west France ( nudist spot 😂).

http://www.straplesskitesurfing.com/202 ... 4WLSOXANwI

riddim1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Australia
Favorite Beaches: Spot X
Style: wave, foil
Gear: Naish, Firewire, Duotone, Lift

Postby riddim1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:24 am

Do any Hydroshort riders have any opinions or thoughts on riding the surf ‘non-kite’ version in the Helium construction?

I’ve always purchased the Kite construction with my LFT boards as I felt Standard LFT were more prone to breaking under kite loads.

The Helium boards seem much more solid so wondering if it’s worth purchasing the standard construction instead? I’m looking at a 10 week lead time for a new kite construction Board or an off the shelf standard construction. Cheers

wara-wara
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Zandvoort (NL)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk Aan Zee (NL)
Le Morne (MRU)
Style: Strapples only and some foiling
Gear: Slingshot SST 6, 8, 10m
Airush Ultra V2 12m
Firewire Vader 5.1"
Mitu ESL 5.8"
Been thanked: 0

Postby wara-wara » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:09 pm

Finally bought the hydroshort 5.4". Today my first ride and I am very happy with it. Waist high waves and the board handled light, snappy and fun. Saturday will be a day with 30 Knots and bigger waves. Looking forward to try it in those conditions. I am confident the Hydroshort will perform good.

Thanks everyone for all the reviews!!

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD

Postby adamj2281 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:22 pm

wara-wara wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:09 pm
Finally bought the hydroshort 5.4". Today my first ride and I am very happy with it. Waist high waves and the board handled light, snappy and fun. Saturday will be a day with 30 Knots and bigger waves. Looking forward to try it in those conditions. I am confident the Hydroshort will perform good.

Thanks everyone for all the reviews!!
Nice, yeah I'm enjoying mine more and more as I get sessions on it. Definitely very fast and lively.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:39 pm

riddim1 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:24 am
Do any Hydroshort riders have any opinions or thoughts on riding the surf ‘non-kite’ version in the Helium construction?

I’ve always purchased the Kite construction with my LFT boards as I felt Standard LFT were more prone to breaking under kite loads.

The Helium boards seem much more solid so wondering if it’s worth purchasing the standard construction instead? I’m looking at a 10 week lead time for a new kite construction Board or an off the shelf standard construction. Cheers
I bought the Evo 5'7" Helium and after one day the foot wells I put in it led me to the gasser to put a double 4oz complete deck patch on it. Ive used ropers for 20yrs and they've never steered me wrong. I wanted them to do a bottom full base patch on it too but they said it wouldn't help and I would still rip the fins out do to the ultra soft foam FW is using now.. They said that its been happening to prone surfers not kiters. My Nano LFT was so bad that I had to reglass the entire board. I was lucky and so much foam ripped out with the fin that it floated to shore and I didn't have to buy a new $120 fin set. Im getting a costume 5'9" shaped for me from Earth Technologies/ Ryan Harris. Don't Get The Helium. Ive been riding the same FST suf construction Vangaurd for 3 years and haven't had to repair it at all. The helium construction is no where near FST or Timbertech and falls just above LFT.

jjm
Medium Poster

Postby jjm » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:29 am

clint2070 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:39 pm
Im getting a costume 5'9" shaped for me from Earth Technologies/ Ryan Harris.
How did the board turn out?

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:09 pm

jjm wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:29 am
clint2070 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:39 pm
Im getting a costume 5'9" shaped for me from Earth Technologies/ Ryan Harris.
How did the board turn out?
Finally got a refund yesterday ! He lied and drug me around since early September. Claimed he already shaped it and was about glass it . Complete liar ! Thought I was going to have to take legal action on him. Turns out for the best. Ive been hearing that his boards especially foil boards have been failing miserably. Just gave FORD a deposit and he's starting on it today. I don't know why I didn't just use him to begin with. My last board he shaped is the strongest board I've ever owned. And its still light Beware of E Tech/Earth Technologies/ Ryan Harris !

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD

Postby adamj2281 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:31 pm

Really clicked with Hydroshort yesterday, I jumped on a larger board just for the hell of it, and then went back to the Hydroshort and worked on controlling speed on it a bit more especially on the bottom turns. I'd be interested to try it as a quad when I want a bit more grip, is anyone riding it as a quad?

Kikizme
Rare Poster
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Cap ferret , south west France
Favorite Beaches: Cap ferret
Style: Strapless waves
Gear: Stallion, firewire 5.6 hydroshort, BWS kite

Postby Kikizme » Sun May 30, 2021 9:57 pm

Hi, I have had finally a régional Classic day at home. Fun beach break 2-4 feet medium swell period. 16-19 knots, optimal day for hydroshort. Quad version with stiff fins. Good day.

These users thanked the author Kikizme for the post:
irwe (Mon May 31, 2021 10:29 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”