Kitedicted
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Orbit 22 11/9
Brand Affiliation: None

Ride engine harness fit, rides up

Postby Kitedicted » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:54 am

Hi,
I advanced from my first soft old waist harness and bought into the hype and got a 19 RE harness in a size small. I tighten it really hard and it feels great at first but it still rides up on me after a while. I suspect my body shape may not be perfect for the harness. Has anyone else had this issue? It doesn't rotate st all but it moves in the vertical plane. Unsure where to go from here harness wise

Regards
Sam

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Re: Ride engine harness fit, rides up

Postby or6 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:04 am

When does it ride up? All the time? Or in certain conditions, like, during a body drag?

Kitedicted
Frequent Poster

Postby Kitedicted » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:12 am

I'm practising jumping so I tend to tack back and forth and do a couple of jumps and after a while I feel that it's sitting a bit too high. So maybe after riding for 30 minutes it's just sitting too high. I don't body drag much but yesterday I did and it too gor too high.

Basically everytime I go out with it I feel that it ends up too high

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:19 pm

I had the same problem. Ride engine harness was hard to tighten up enough. I sold it and I'm happy with mystic warrior now, it will stay down all the time.
These users thanked the author jyka for the post:
Kitedicted (Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:30 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Kitedicted
Frequent Poster

Postby Kitedicted » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:11 pm

I suspect it's becausw my hip bone is slightly wider than my waist, so the harness first grips my hip and waist and then slide up to my waist and lats. It's too tall of a harness to purely lock into my waist.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:57 pm

Burn the POS and buy a seat or board short harness..lol... I rode a waist for a little while just so I could honestly say they suck...IMO...

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:25 pm

I am normally a medium, but sized down to a small for RE. It stays snug in medium/light wind, but if powered up / over powered, it rides up like crazy. When I had my medium, it would actually get painful and hard to breath, pushing up into my rib cage. I have friends with same harness, insist they've never had an issue, so maybe it is body type as you say.

This is the first gen, seems like newer ones have more straps, maybe better at holding down.

My other harness is Ocean Rodeo ... it has leg tie-downs.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:40 pm

I'm not an expert on harnesses and fit as I have basically only ridden Mystic Majestic the last 4 years or so, but those won't ride up on me even if I don't tighten properly. Or it will occasionally "slip" up if it is really loose, but I don't blame the harness for that.

Sounds like an unfortunate fit to me.

Red Pointer
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Red Point,Basin Head, Souris Beach,
Favorite Beaches: Souris Beach,Hatteras, Caberette,Malpeque PEI
Style: Slash and bash
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby Red Pointer » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:40 pm

wear an impact vest, problem solved

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:10 pm

Don't underestimate how much how you fly the kite and how your stance affects if the harness rides up. I don't have wide shoulders or anything and in 20 years of kiting i don't think I've had a problem with any harness riding up which can't be solved while riding. If the harness does shift up a bit, lower the kite, lean your shoulders back and let the kite pull the harness back down.

Perhaps if you had a harness that fit perfectly and it allowed you to get away with technique that would make some harnesses ride up, you are now finding out the hard way what not to do. (I have no idea of your skill or technique, so perhaps this is not the case for you - there's no way to tell in this discussion).

Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”