Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone vs Airush Click Style C-Loops

Forum for kitesurfers
ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Re: Ozone vs Airush Click Style C-Loops

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:36 am

Foilholio

So harsh lol but true, Heard mentality is great for all Suicide Cults lol

My beginner release was the old naish fold around velcro finger and slide over cover, bought 2nd hand and worked perfectly and i released the safety a million times learning.
Definitely over engineered crap these days that should be super simple by now..

Daversj
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sag Harbor
Style: Like it all...
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha,Naish,North,Corevac surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Daversj » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:52 am

oregonkiter wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:24 am
Anyone have experience with both of these 2020 style loops? What I am looking for is EASY, fast reload in deep COLD water with thick three finger gloves on. I don't care if it's one or two handed; just easy to do. On paper, the Ozone looks easier but I have not yet had the chance to try either. I only foil.

Thanks
I think the new Ozone release, the lip was a little too raised on the part you grab. The reason Ruben hit it when he sheeted out during the loop? I would probably grind half of that ridge off if i had one. Or maybe the elastic spring inside needs to be stronger?
I think all makers will be going to the push in to reset chicken loop. I like anything thats easier as long as its reliable. Will it work packed with sand? Time will tell...
Some of the old stuff we all used without incident for years, i wouldn’t think about using today. That Cabrinha loop from 2013 was such a disaster to reset. The 2010 pull to release Ozone chicken loop never worked if sand got in it. Scary looking back.

oregonkiter
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff

Postby oregonkiter » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:15 am

Sand is the nemesis of all things mechanical, no doubt about that. I had my first water session on the Airush today. Very happy with how it performed with thick mitts on. My other system is a total PITA to reset with mitts.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:26 am

So yes some past releases have been bad but not all. Again reassembly is a secondary function. I am aware of that cabrinha release, though I didn't use it much. Their previous release worked fine. To me that is an example of designing new but worse.

To be cynical maybe bars are a profit center or because they are closest to the rider having to most whizzbang device sells people on the bar and kite and so brand, which is more likely. I honestly believe people are being seriously mislead by these creations and the brands are very irresponsible.

Daversj
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sag Harbor
Style: Like it all...
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha,Naish,North,Corevac surfboard

Postby Daversj » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:51 am

The Cabrinha loop was a Rube Goldberg design for sure. I think it was the first bar you could spin without twisting up the center lines. What a mess. Created more problems than it solved. But I was never a dangle pass lover anyway.

Easy to reset is important though. When i was doing lessons i would have students release once they went downwind a certain amount. Then walk back up wind, reset and try again. Countless times a day.... It needs to be easy and hard to f*** up.

Anyone ever launch a kite only to have the chicken loop immediately release? Yes me to, its a drag.

Some kites need to be flagged after a line wrap in the water. Many swims were avoided by releasing and reset in water. Easier is better.
If you foil by yourself and like a metal shackle or surf with a ring slider thats fine. But most people would be better served with easy on and off.
That guy from Maui Cloud kites uses a bamboo bar, no chicken loop and hemp lines i think. But he is much better than me on a foil board.

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie

Postby jatem » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:18 am

foilholio wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:24 am
Holy f*** knuckles, a new kite brand I never heard of, and yet another new release and chickenloop. It's like an insane asylum.

cor wrote: I am actually with foilholio on this one. This feels like Ozone/Airrush is reinventing a vital system like a car break just because it isn't convenient enough for a few people.
Thanks cor. I think of all the people over the years put in dangerous situations because their release was no good. I think of how most people don't need and shouldn't have a chicken loop. I think of the huge amount of designs of basically the same thing and the huge amount of work spent on those designs. I think how just a tiny tiny fraction of that effort could have made a really good system with no chicken loop. At the end of this thinking I get Gretarized. I am not disappoint though, I learned long ago that this industry rarely if ever impresses.
Agreed. Most people have absolutely no need for a chicken loop.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:41 pm

Yea, they are kind of slow to respond to tech change. I mean, it took them almost 20 years to get rid of the 50 year old beach ball valve technology so how much longer to get rid of the 30 year old windsurf hook tech? Don’t hold you breath.

Return to “Kitesurfing”