14,5m 2699€
17m 2895€

+/- more 35%

Flyingseb
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 15/11m, North Dyno 17m, Duotone Rebel 15/12/10m, OR Mako board, Homemade TT and Tiki
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Introducing the World's Lightest and Strongest Kites - Aluula

Postby Flyingseb » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:58 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:14 pm
reminds me of a mylar leading edged wipika kite from 20 years ago
You mean the kind of Mylar that got delamination after one season? I hope to never see that again :-?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:03 pm

Flyingseb wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:58 pm
longwhitecloud wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:14 pm
reminds me of a mylar leading edged wipika kite from 20 years ago
You mean the kind of Mylar that got delamination after one season? I hope to never see that again :-?
Yes that happened, but not to all of it. It was actually a manufacturering fault. Bruno L came on here and talked about it. Some of these kites made of mylar didnt delaminate after 20 years.. I know because I have one that didnt. It had t seen that much sun though over those years so who knows.

They were very very light kites.

Those retail prices are rediculous.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:34 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:23 pm
jkrug wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:23 pm
still no reviews anywhere on a 12M aluula. i'm surprised none have been made available since it seems this is where people would really be most interested in spending the extra money. since all 12M's suck out there right now, and most 10m's are pretty good, i just don't get why the focus is on the 10M kites. the 12M's need help, the 10m's really don't. the only thing i can think of is that there really isn't much of an improvement with aluula in that size range, otherwise we'd be hearing about it. hopefully i'm wrong.
I think it's more likely that the reason why Roam 10m rather than 12m has been made first in Aluula is because 10m is about the largest size most people use for wave riding and strapless.
around here, just about everyone has at least a 12M (many up to 17M) for foiling or strapless wave riding in light winds. it's certainly not my favorite, but again, that's mostly because 12+M's suck so bad.

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:45 pm

Who cares about prices. This is a limit on their side. Probably intentionally as they can’t serve the potential demand anyway. It’s the price of innovation. If you don’t want to pay it - fine - just don’t buy it. I certainly will not but I really don’t care what price tag they put on it.

stenner
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby stenner » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:41 am

knyfe wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:45 pm
Who cares about prices. This is a limit on their side. Probably intentionally as they can’t serve the potential demand anyway. It’s the price of innovation. If you don’t want to pay it - fine - just don’t buy it. I certainly will not but I really don’t care what price tag they put on it.
Agreed but I think this strategy will backfire on them. How about a 25% premium for the new Aluula kites?
They'd sell quickly and they'd build some market share within their brand overall. I'd rather be told it was sold out than held up like this for an unproven material. Ocean Rodeo is setting themselves up for haters should anything, and I mean anything go wrong. Absolute unreasonable perfection is now the expectation when a company asks this sort of premium price on an unproven material.
Just wait until other brands introduce something similar and rest assured they will. Ocean Rodeo is a small brand with good to very good products, but not really anything category leading. Sure, Canadians love them and why not, but they are dropping the ball here on an opportunity to build their brand.
Something just doesn't sit right when I see reviews posted, especially the recent Real review by Matt Nuzzo. He praises the kite yes, but it feels like he's reluctant somehow. It's light, it's responsive but shouldn't it be even better, more over the top gushing considering the hype (on the material itself) and the bat shit crazy price?
Just wait until the major brands come to market with their new material, be it Aluula or something similar, where the kite designer has had more time to be informed by the new material, then we'll really see more performance and hopefully more competitive pricing.
For the record I've always kind of liked OR from a distance but never enough to actually buy anything. One thing to keep in mind too, Aluula is being used only on the leading edge and struts, not in the canopy or bladder.
And finally, I wish the new kite was better looking. I know beauty is subjective but that's an ugly duckling!

Wbrussow
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, Canada
Style: Freeride
Gear: OR Razor
Core XR3

Postby Wbrussow » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:11 am

I just had to jump in after reading the previous post. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, sure, but that is not an ugly duckling. I think the color scheme is elegant, bordering on sophisticated and a breath of of fresh air. I love it.
These users thanked the author Wbrussow for the post:
Digdawg (Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:56 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

stenner
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby stenner » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:02 am

Wbrussow wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:11 am
I just had to jump in after reading the previous post. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, sure, but that is not an ugly duckling. I think the color scheme is elegant, bordering on sophisticated and a breath of of fresh air. I love it.
I sincerely like it that you like it!

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:42 am

Latest duotone diversity magazine page 81 there is an interview with Ralf Grosel and he mentions testing aluula, and that other manufacturers have new materials.

https://www.duotonesports.com/booklet/ ... ine/80-81/

I expect we will be seeing other kite brands with fancy new stuff.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:51 am

They b thinking a bit harder about the business sense in trying to sell luxury items now!.

Return to “Kitesurfing”