Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Introducing the World's Lightest and Strongest Kites - Aluula

Postby Greenturtle » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:26 pm

Its telling that Real + Mackite got on board with this. If it wasn’t the bees knees they wouldn’t have added it to their catalogs considering they have business deals with a bunch of other major brands who maybe are not too happy about it.
Personally if I was OR I wouldn’t let Real sell Aluula without carrying the entire OR line. I understand why. Just seems a bit unfair to the longtime OR dealers.

Stenner- OR not having catagory leading products?? The Flite has absolutely SLAYED the competition since 2014!
Mako? Check. Soul? Check. Stick shift? Yep.
Nuzzo somewhat reluctant? I thought he sounded completely stoked! must be, if they are willing to bring in aluula to compete with some premium price brands they already carry...

Its not like Im able to afford aluula at this point but if it pushes the whole industry towards actual innovation im all for it. The price is high now but its at a level where I can see it moderating down to almost reasonable in the future as production/competition increases over the coming years.
Last edited by Greenturtle on Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:11 pm

stenner wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:41 am

Agreed but I think this strategy will backfire on them. How about a 25% premium for the new Aluula kites?
you make it sound like the price of a kite is completely arbitrary. why not just sell it for $5.00! i suspect if they charged only a 25% premium, they'd lose money on each kite, or not make enough to make it worth the while. but we all (should) know how the market works: new technology comes at a price...over time, that price comes way down. but it doesn't come down just because someone pulls a number out of their heads...it comes down due to production efficiencies, competition, demand/supply, etc. i'd not so gladly pay 2G for a 12M kite that doesn't suck. But I'll stick to 1G for any 10M.

Digdawg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Snowkite:
Lemon Reservoir, Durango
Rito Hondo, Creede
Favorite Beaches: Key West
Outer Banks
CorpUs Christi
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
- Aluula Flite 17m
- Flite 12m, 14.5m & 17m
- Crave 12m
- Mako 150 & 160
Ozone
- 14m
Epic
- Renegade 7m
Slingshot
- Crisis 140
Crazyfly
- LW 154
Ride Engine Harness

Postby Digdawg » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:56 pm

Wbrussow wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:11 am
I just had to jump in after reading the previous post. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, sure, but that is not an ugly duckling. I think the color scheme is elegant, bordering on sophisticated and a breath of of fresh air. I love it.
I totally agree! Ocean Rodeo makes some great looking kites, and this is right in there amongst them - good job OR!!

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:58 pm

jkrug wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:11 pm
stenner wrote:

Agreed but I think this strategy will backfire on them. How about a 25% premium for the new Aluula kites?
you make it sound like the price of a kite is completely arbitrary. why not just sell it for $5.00! i suspect if they charged only a 25% premium, they'd lose money on each kite, or not make enough to make it worth the while. but we all (should) know how the market works: new technology comes at a price...over time, that price comes way down. but it doesn't come down just because someone pulls a number out of their heads...it comes down due to production efficiencies, competition, demand/supply, etc. i'd not so gladly pay 2G for a 12M kite that doesn't suck. But I'll stick to 1G for any 10M.
So what do you think the price should be?

stenner
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby stenner » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:19 pm

jkrug wrote:
stenner wrote:

12m 2020 Pivot $1575. 12m Aluula Roam $2429, not a math wiz but I believe that's north of 50% more. Seems excessive, time will tell if it's worth it in terms of the new material's longetivity and if OR's ultra luxery pricing model is successful.
It's not that I'm a doubter about Aluula, it seems great so far, I just disagree with their pricing strategy for something so unproven over the long term. An additional 50% is a huge price increase, it better be nothing short of miraculous!

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:54 pm

i don't know what the price should be because i don't work for OR so i have no idea what it costs to make. there's no doubt it's a huge price increase, i can't argue with that. but only OR knows whether it's 'excessive' or otherwise. my point has always been that i can't see spending that much more for a 10M when 10M's are already good kites, but i can see spending more for a really good 12M. and i agree that for that price, it has to be REALLY good. i look forward to trying one someday.

hajvar
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach, NY
Gilgo Beach
Robert Moses
Democrat Point
Tobay
Gear: 2016 Naish Park HD 7m-9m-12m
Switchkites Legacy 2 12m
Tona Flow 140 x 43.3
Ronix Park Boots
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby hajvar » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:20 pm

With the prices going up and economy being in the gutter, may be not the best combo, but think about Tesla. The first models were very expensive to test the market and play with the high end and validate the product. Then progressively bring it to mass production.

We will soon see if other brands follow. We are reaching the limits of traditional kite design. The materials revolution is the next stage for getting more performance.

hajvar
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach, NY
Gilgo Beach
Robert Moses
Democrat Point
Tobay
Gear: 2016 Naish Park HD 7m-9m-12m
Switchkites Legacy 2 12m
Tona Flow 140 x 43.3
Ronix Park Boots
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby hajvar » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:23 pm

stenner wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:19 pm
jkrug wrote:
stenner wrote:

12m 2020 Pivot $1575. 12m Aluula Roam $2429, not a math wiz but I believe that's north of 50% more. Seems excessive, time will tell if it's worth it in terms of the new material's longetivity and if OR's ultra luxery pricing model is successful.
It's not that I'm a doubter about Aluula, it seems great so far, I just disagree with their pricing strategy for something so unproven over the long term. An additional 50% is a huge price increase, it better be nothing short of miraculous!
I'm sure that if you ask nicely the price is somewhat negotiable... especially with the economy right now... will be very surprised if they sell out all the kites that were ordered from the manufacturer....

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting

Postby 1234567Simon » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:37 am

2500 Dollar???? WTF????
Even with 50% discount, that is 1250 ....

I don‘t know if that is worth the Money... and I do not care. It still is just too much!

I do Not want to spend that for one single kite.

Just my 50 cents...

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:33 am

With a new model woo (15% higher) and one of these kites (potentially - may well jump higher), think of the fame on the woo leader board!

Plus I can sell you 1k likes on your insta posts for $2. Roll in it! lol

Kiting is weird.

Return to “Kitesurfing”