Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Handy tricks you only found after beginner lessons

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:33 am

Daversj wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:56 am
I found another Karan. Did you check my post for spelling errors as well?

What happens when you pull the trim line? Does it take power out of the kite? So was i wrong to say de power the kite a little?
Because when i am overpowered i have been pulling that dangling line thing all these years. Am i doing it right?

And when the wind drops i should land my kite and change knots on the pigtails so it doesn't stall? Is that what your saying?

Or just sine it constantly? You beginners got all that?

I think i got it now. 👍 I am wrong you are right.

My post was a constructive tip to help beginners with something that is usually done incorrectly. I wasn’t posting to be nitpicked.
If you think you've taken power out of the kite, loop it through the power zone.

I agreed with your post. I just wanted to add that a handy "trick" I learned is that it's not depower, it's trim.

And it's Karen.

Pemba
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Pemba » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:53 am

I never took lessons, learnt by myself. I was the only one here, I'd never seen it done, I didn't even have a video. I always put the kite on the beach "upside down" leading edge facing the wind but with a LOT of sand. When a year or two later in a different place I saw somebody dropping it, laying it on the beach in the normal way and just walking away, I was amazed..

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Postby ScoopZ » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:40 am

If your kite is stalling "in a safe environment", run with it a few meters upwind to help it recover.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: CrazyFly, Cabrinha, Concept X Ruler Split.
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:59 am

Nitpicked on here...........never.

In the last 15yrs I've been caught in one or two situations, some unpredicted squalls and I've de-powered the mother out of that kite with the 'trim-strap' ;)
(yes, I had the kite low....)

Now I find out I was doing it all wrong!

Doh!

Daversj wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:56 am
TheJoe wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:03 am
Daversj wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:22 am
It's trim, not depower.
Read my post again Karen
No reason to re-read it. It's not "De-Power" it's "Trim". De-power is a marketing BS term and so misleading that most people don't understand what it actually does. You are correct in what you say about trimming the kite in lower wind. But you don't have to trim the kite with modern kites like that for low wind because there are 3 trims for the kite. You have the knots you use to connect your lines with, your trim strap/rope/click bar, and the bar throw itself. Dive the kite pull in to generate max pull thru the wind window. On the up stroke push the bar out to let the wind up under the kite so it does not backstall.
[/quote]

I found another Karan. Did you check my post for spelling errors as well?

What happens when you pull the trim line? Does it take power out of the kite? So was i wrong to say de power the kite a little?
Because when i am overpowered i have been pulling that dangling line thing all these years. Am i doing it right?

And when the wind drops i should land my kite and change knots on the pigtails so it doesn't stall? Is that what your saying?

Or just sine it constantly? You beginners got all that?

I think i got it now. 👍 I am wrong you are right.

My post was a constructive tip to help beginners with something that is usually done incorrectly. I wasn’t posting to be nitpicked.
[/quote]

Baptiste_FR
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Postby Baptiste_FR » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:06 pm

Launching/landing the kite with a sandbag, a fix point... any anchor point. At my spot, during autumn, winter I am regularly alone kiting, this tip changed it all ! Way safer !

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:50 pm

If your kite is in the water trailing edge down, don't try to re-launch pulling an outside steering line. Instead, give both center (front) lines several tugs so that your kite will either "hot launch" or flip over so that the leading edge is down and the kite is ready for a typical re-launch.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 7, 9, and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12, Best Bularoo 16
Long Ocean 136 and 138, Cyclone 136, Airrush Master 139, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide foil and Converter board

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:18 pm

Learning how to kite solo has immensely increased my enjoyment of kiting as it frees me from depending on others to do downwinders or allows me to kite when my friends are not willing or interested. Practising self-launches on wide-open beaches, and especially drift-launching, in places that are safe with medium breeze made it possible to ride in difficult places in strong conditions. For landing I simply flag out to my leash (short leash in front, of course), and again, doing that a couple times in medium conditions gives confidence that it will work just fine when you reach the end of a long downwinder and it is nukin and self-landing is iffy.

RustyChain
Medium Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Postby RustyChain » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:48 pm

You guys are funny with your trim vs depower argument.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:51 pm

The best thing I learned after beginner lessons was to
Stay far away from beginners.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:46 pm

RustyChain wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:48 pm
You guys are funny with your trim vs depower argument.
Yeah I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to even get in on this one. I guess this would be my longest explanation of something as simple as angle of attack adjustment. But the thing I can't get over to actually start in on it, is that it's not going to help anyone at all. Sure there's some interesting Concepts like stall speed at varying angles of attack, dynamics of wind speed / kite speed / placement in the wind window, coning with an inflatable verses the more rigid shape of a foil kite, and so on. But all of that winds up being instinctual anyway.

I guess what happens in the end for every kiter is either you learn to deal with less than a perfect angle of attack and still ride, or you get a feel for setting your kite to the perfect angle of attack for maximum power and even to use stall. Again, it's an instinctual feel that can't be academically dictated, nor would its academic understanding actually assist in usage while kiting.

Return to “Kitesurfing”