knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Handy tricks you only found after beginner lessons

Postby knotwindy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:01 pm

Seems like they’re just talking about the name and about subsets. Sometimes when you pull ‘the’ strap the kite depowers, other times it powers up depending on lots of other factors so ‘trim’ strap is technically more accurate but who cares. If you know how a kite flies you ignore the ‘word’ and move on to the concept. No problem.
If you don’t understand how a kite flies, like most out there who can’t even figure out how to launch/land safely(see Amaze Me thread), the ‘word’ used also won’t matter. Also, Being this kind of menace is, of course, easier. Happy Idiot Syndrome. Only a problem for the people around you.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:16 pm

Daversj wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:17 pm
Put a little de-power in the kite when the wind is lite or marginal.

It prevents you from over sheeting and stalling the kite when the bar is all the way in. It’s counter intuitive....and most beginners trim for full power or mistakenly use the short knot(more power) on the wing tip.
Sheet in when sending the kite down the window, the on the up stroke sheet out sending it up faster = more speed and power.

But if the wind is that light, get out and eat

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana, SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, SST 5m, Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/82/91/105/111cm masts with 637+695/425 590/330 679/450 wingsets, Tim's 36" woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot SST 6m 2018 $480, Slingshot Turbine 5m 2017 like new $450, BROkite carbon board 140x44cm like new complete $650, Slingshot Rally 6m 2017 like new $530

Moses 590/647/330 $690, Moses 679/749/483 $890, 80cm alu mast $260

Postby grigorib » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:14 am

So, I never took lessons and I guess every useful trick got blended with learning curve. Here are some

- If you see someone with kite down, you can dismount near then and tow them in back to shore, him/her holding on the back of your harness/strap
- if you gotta walk back to shore in water (disabled kite) you can roll the lines, hook your leash onto kite pump strap and let it fly/drag inverted behind your back as you walk
- drift launch and self landing into water might be best and safest ways to launch especially if people on shore are semi-clueless about doing it right.
- trimming in your depower allows makes your kite fly in lighter winds. It won't pull any harder, but it will stay flying and stop falling out of the sky
- large door board is way better for lightwind than a huge kite
- line extensions add to your lightwind riding a lot. The cheapest way to gain extra couple of knots of lowend.
- wear an impact vest or floatation vest when in deep water. You don't want to drown when you start getting a leg crapm
- carry a tiny whistle so you can draw attention when in trouble
- when you get onto beach, roll your lines behind your kite leaving 3-5m of lines or so and then place bar over the kite onto canopy. That way lines won't tangle even if someone moves your kite or stacks multiples kites tight
- if you ziptie tiny AAA-battery flashlights onto front line pigtails whole canopy will get lit for evening riding
- to learn jumping learn to swing the kite and teabag yourself out of water (learn to jump without board)
- learning to fly 5-6m depower kite is way smarter and practical than on a 2-3-4 line trainer
- long sleeve shortie is a great wetsuit when full 3/2 is too much. Much easier to change in and our and in again.
- need less than long sleeve shortie but more than lycra shirt/shorts? Use short John underneath your shirt and shorts
- wear a hooded shirt with a visor to keep your skull out of sun
- wear a hat to protect your head from sun
- use SPF chopstick to protect your lips
- chest and strut camera mounts are overrated. Mouth mount is the best followed by line mount
- use duct tape if you don't want to use permanent marker to write contact/address on your board. you can remove the tape if you need easier
- learn downlooping, it's so much fun and it would come so handy
- to learn riding, sign up for a kite trip. Your progression will accelerate like never before
- listen to people who impress you with their skills, are enthusiastic about sport and can communicate on your brain wavelength. learn from them
- for every hour of DVD/instructor go out and practice for 3 hours
- go out in lightest winds, just to practice flying the kite. Become a master kite pilot
- practice reverse relaunch a lot
- every now and then take time on a nice lawn to run your lines and for each line run it individually holding tight to untwist them
- rinse you bar/line/board with fresh water after use so they serve longer
- if you launch from sandy beach rinse your bar once in water so you don't sandpaper your rig with actual sand
- once your kite is inflated - pinch the strut valves. It'll keep the kite afloat if any of bladders leaks or blows out and kite ends up in water.
- safety knife and sunscreen. Duh
- use short QR leash unless you're doing handlepasses
- never use board leash while riding. It's ok for swimming in only and even then use a second (longer) QR leash
- wear half-finger gloves to prevent calluses and to be able to grab lines if needed
- never wrap your lines around anything you're not willing to cut off
- here are some of my etiquette and right of way pointers viewtopic.php?p=1045479#p1045479

Daversj
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sag Harbor
Style: Like it all...
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha,Naish,North,Corevac surfboard

Postby Daversj » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:12 am

Matteo V wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:46 pm
RustyChain wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:48 pm
You guys are funny with your trim vs depower argument.
Yeah I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to even get in on this one. I guess this would be my longest explanation of something as simple as angle of attack adjustment. But the thing I can't get over to actually start in on it, is that it's not going to help anyone at all. Sure there's some interesting Concepts like stall speed at varying angles of attack, dynamics of wind speed / kite speed / placement in the wind window, coning with an inflatable verses the more rigid shape of a foil kite, and so on. But all of that winds up being instinctual anyway.

I guess what happens in the end for every kiter is either you learn to deal with less than a perfect angle of attack and still ride, or you get a feel for setting your kite to the perfect angle of attack for maximum power and even to use stall. Again, it's an instinctual feel that can't be academically dictated, nor would its academic understanding actually assist in usage while kiting.
Its stupid to argue semantics isn't it. Like arguing over port and starboard is correct not left and right. And its not a rope but a line.... the kites we are using are not actually kites but are wings....
Like you said its the concepts that are important.
The point i was making was by limiting your maximum angle of attack via the TRIM setting you are decreasing you chance of stalling the wing for a given wind speed. Sure you can loop the kite constantly to increase apparent wind speed and keep laminar air flow on the wing surface but that wasn't my point....
I was just trying to give a simple tip for beginners, in common terms and not be verbose.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet

Postby pj sofine » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:00 pm

One beginner tip I learned was when you observe an attractive beginner, after their lesson ends , compliment them on their progress. Offer them some water , take them under your wing and share helpful tips. Sometimes they are fatigued ,offer a massage or offer to apply sunscreen . Video them and offer to go over footage "later" to help their progress. Thats just a few tips. Oh, first make sure you ask if their significant other kites , if so move on. Oh and if you fly foils don't bother, it won't work.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: CrazyFly, Cabrinha, Concept X Ruler Split.
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:29 pm

Mate, that's stalking!

pj sofine wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:00 pm
One beginner tip I learned was when you observe an attractive beginner, after their lesson ends , compliment them on their progress. Offer them some water , take them under your wing and share helpful tips. Sometimes they are fatigued ,offer a massage or offer to apply sunscreen . Video them and offer to go over footage "later" to help their progress. Thats just a few tips. Oh, first make sure you ask if their significant other kites , if so move on. Oh and if you fly foils don't bother, it won't work.

juanpasala
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
Cabo de la Vela
San Andres
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 8-10 / Soul 10-15 / Sonic Race 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:24 pm

pj sofine wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:00 pm
Hahahaha, got it against foilers.

Return to “Kitesurfing”