Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Scheveningen, Rockanje
Style: Wave
Gear: Naish, F-One, Flysurfer, Crazyfly

Handy tricks you only found after beginner lessons

Postby Kiterpep » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:41 pm

So, a question, which handy things did you learn or find out only after your beginner lessons?

I'll start, nobody taught me how stable your kite is on its side, just above the ground/touching water. Park it there, sit down and take a break and a breather with only minimal bar input required.

Maybe we can learn each other some really useful things and otherwise this could be an awesome thread for beginners to prep for the season :thumb: !
These users thanked the author Kiterpep for the post:
Toby (Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:52 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Daversj
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sag Harbor
Style: Like it all...
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha,Naish,North,Corevac surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Handy tricks you only found after beginner lessons

Postby Daversj » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:17 pm

Put a little de-power in the kite when the wind is lite or marginal.

It prevents you from over sheeting and stalling the kite when the bar is all the way in. It’s counter intuitive....and most beginners trim for full power or mistakenly use the short knot(more power) on the wing tip.
These users thanked the author Daversj for the post:
Pemba (Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:56 am)

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:00 pm

Kind of already instinctually new it, but never academically acknowledged it..... a tight kiteloop or downloop produces less power than a bigger kiteloop or downloop. So it turns out the harder you turn the bar, the less power the loop develops.

I still find experienced riders that don't realize this either instinctually or academically.

But it really comes to light when you are actually teaching someone with a trainer kite where you can do both big loops and tight loops without getting yanked or being afraid of getting yanked.

tkachuk
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 75 kilos
Local Beach: Squamish, Nitinat (formerly: Cherry Beach, Allanwood, Presquil)
Favorite Beaches: Presquil (Ontario), Long Bay Turks, Silver Sands Barbados, OBX, Key Biscayne Florida
Style: boosting, carving my jibes, waves on TT
Gear: CORE, Shinn

Postby tkachuk » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:05 pm

With safety leash attached, using one hand, practice hooking and unhooking while holding the kite neutral just above the ground/touching water.

This simple skill helps with: unwinding twisted lines, tethered (anchored) launches/landings and the handing off of your flying kite to someone else.
I'll never forget my first tethered landing in gusty high wind or the first time I tried passing a big foil kite to a friend while pulling the bar at the same time!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:19 pm

Daversj wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:17 pm
Put a little de-power in the kite when the wind is lite or marginal.

It prevents you from over sheeting and stalling the kite when the bar is all the way in. It’s counter intuitive....and most beginners trim for full power or mistakenly use the short knot(more power) on the wing tip.
It's trim, not depower.
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post:
iriejohn (Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:00 am)

Daversj
Medium Poster

Postby Daversj » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:22 am

[/quote]
It's trim, not depower.
[/quote]

Read my post again Karen

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:34 am

When standing or swimming in very light wind with an LEI at edge of window at 2 o’clock drifting toward 3 o’clock, then 4, you might find there isn’t enough wind to steer back toward 12 o’clock and kite seems to be sinking lower and lower toward the water. Learn to call it early around 3 o’clock and aggressively loop the kite down toward the ground and back through the middle of the window, sheeting out as the kite moves through and back to 12o’clock. You may even have to sheet out, reach over the bar and pull the steering line to start the loop in very light wind so kite doesnt stall as much.

I see experienced kiters but new to foiling dropping their heavy 12m LEIs into the water at edge of the window this way during lulls when a loop could save it.
These users thanked the author Jyoder for the post:
Kitetwin-1 (Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:25 am)

Cefirmeza
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 65kg
Local Beach: Ceará - Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ceará, Brazil
Style: Kitefoil Wingfoil
Gear: Slingshot sst 4m, Airush Ultra 5m, brm cloud 5.5m, Peak4 4m/6m, Duotone Slick 3.5/4.5m
Sabfoil W1000,W800, Lift classic 150
Armstrong SKT3’11 25L

Postby Cefirmeza » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:05 am

Depending what side you are lauching your kite after doing your lines straight downwind, twist the bar halfway clockwise if walking to the left or halfway anti-clockwise if walking to the right.

Doing this you are ready to launch as soon as the lines get tensioned and avoid those situations when the lines get twisted and you have to sort it out until they are untwisted. I always think about this when someone asks me to grab their kite and they spend some time sorting their lines.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:03 am

Daversj wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:22 am
It's trim, not depower.
[/quote]

Read my post again Karen
[/quote]

No reason to re-read it. It's not "De-Power" it's "Trim". De-power is a marketing BS term and so misleading that most people don't understand what it actually does. You are correct in what you say about trimming the kite in lower wind. But you don't have to trim the kite with modern kites like that for low wind because there are 3 trims for the kite. You have the knots you use to connect your lines with, your trim strap/rope/click bar, and the bar throw itself. Dive the kite pull in to generate max pull thru the wind window. On the up stroke push the bar out to let the wind up under the kite so it does not backstall.
These users thanked the author TheJoe for the post:
Kamikuza (Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:27 am)

Daversj
Medium Poster

Postby Daversj » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:56 am

TheJoe wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:03 am
Daversj wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:22 am
It's trim, not depower.
Read my post again Karen
[/quote]

No reason to re-read it. It's not "De-Power" it's "Trim". De-power is a marketing BS term and so misleading that most people don't understand what it actually does. You are correct in what you say about trimming the kite in lower wind. But you don't have to trim the kite with modern kites like that for low wind because there are 3 trims for the kite. You have the knots you use to connect your lines with, your trim strap/rope/click bar, and the bar throw itself. Dive the kite pull in to generate max pull thru the wind window. On the up stroke push the bar out to let the wind up under the kite so it does not backstall.
[/quote]

I found another Karan. Did you check my post for spelling errors as well?

What happens when you pull the trim line? Does it take power out of the kite? So was i wrong to say de power the kite a little?
Because when i am overpowered i have been pulling that dangling line thing all these years. Am i doing it right?

And when the wind drops i should land my kite and change knots on the pigtails so it doesn't stall? Is that what your saying?

Or just sine it constantly? You beginners got all that?

I think i got it now. 👍 I am wrong you are right.

My post was a constructive tip to help beginners with something that is usually done incorrectly. I wasn’t posting to be nitpicked.
These users thanked the author Daversj for the post:
kjorn (Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:18 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”